• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tweaking has to end NOW!

The_Emperor

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2009
Milkyway
Tweaking is a different form of cheating for me. Something like maxing out gamma to make a even the darkest spot look like in plain sunshine equals to the usage of a wallhack to me. I hide at a location that is dark enough so it won't reveal me standing there. If someone walks past this site, aims and kills me, if this happens once I might say this is luck and/or he saw my muzzleflash, BUT if this happens everytime even if I stand or crouch there silently as can be and get shot over and over again.

Some settings obviously allow you to see through smoke, which makes the later pretty useless. I'm not talking about mg gunners sweeping the smoke in the hope to catch someone. But if I have riflemen placing exact shots on lung, heart or head, it's far from being a lucky spray. (It's already ****in' awesome that AI is multihacking but I really don't need this from human enemies too.

Gamma is different to everyone here, but I can guarantee that no one needs max gamma and other things to have the game look normal. Max gamma is only used by filthy people who need advantages over other players but won't cheat due to a worldwide ban of their steam account.

As Ramm-J

Irritating, but nothing can prevent people from tweaking their monitors. What TWI could introduce is a "Gentlemen's agreement" on brightness settings: in the setting menu show some bars that gradually go from white to black, and put some text under it:

"For gentlemen with honor: tweak your monitor's/in-game brightness/gamma untill you no longer see a difference between Bar X and Bar Y."

I know I would do it, but I also know alot of people would totally ignore it to get an edge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I always have gamma settings set to a realistic/default level, I do that because I feel comfortable with that.

And don't come saying: 'what's a realistic level of gamma/lighting?', definitely not when all shadows are gone, okay? I think we all have the common sense to understand when you're exploiting something and when you aren't. The difference is in the way we respect ourselves and others in order not to do it ( Self-control).

Upvote 0
What are those uber dark places you are talking about? Maybe it is your gamma that it set too low, because I have yet to find a spot where you can't see anything because it is dark.

Red October Map - underground basement/cellar area.

Cannot see anything until I adjust Gamma to 2.5

Pavlo's House (maybe Commissar's) - Some stairwell area's are also very dark

A couple of examples that I often run into . . .

Upvote 0
Because winning without an unfair advantage is where satisfaction and skill come from. Don't worry, when you hit the teen years you will (hopefully) understand. Until then, enjoy being the noob who plays an ugly washed out game because he feels the need to have an edge to compete.

Quote didn't work, I'm sure it's obvious who this applies to however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mendeth
Upvote 0
Because winning without an unfair advantage is where satisfaction and skill come from. Don't worry, when you hit the teen years you will (hopefully) understand. Until then, enjoy being the noob who plays an ugly washed out game because he feels the need to have an edge to compete.

Quote didn't work, I'm sure it's obvious who this applies to however.

no it isnt obvious (haha you so funny)

Upvote 0
I'm afraid that "gamma tweaks" are here to say - it's a genuine adjustment mechanism that many people require, to get a playable result on screen. Unfortunately, it is also easily "exploitable", and no tweak or lock-down will completely remove the "max gamma so nothing is dark" is scenario. It's horrible I know - but I don't even think about it when playing. I can't do anything to stop people using it, and if you assume that someone is using it to beat you - well, it's not like you can expect anything other than abuse if you mention it :)

I do also wish these tweaks could be stopped or at least limited - alas, those who prefer an easy ride seem to have technology on their side :) heh

Upvote 0
- Changing FOV to look through walls: exploit, I won't do it. But this can be fixed by TWI.

- Shadows/grass/... : I prefer a high framerate and my computer can't handle all these fancy graphics. Sorry if it gives me an advantage, but I don't feel guilty.

- Gamma settings: different screens have different settings. Settings that are perfect on your screen, are too light or dark on other screens. That's why they made it a setting.

- Looking through smoke: you're paranoid.

Conclusion:
While I dislike that one exploit, changing settings to improve performance is perfectly fine by me. Some people like to win, some people like the fancy graphics. You can choose whatever you want, and don't blame anyone else for choosing the other. :)

Upvote 0
Have you considered that it might not be gamma tweaking but the peripheral indicators that gave you away? They work even in the smoke and in shady spots.

I for one have succeeded in killing many enemies who clearly thought they were lying in ambush, and that solely because the big fat peripheral indicator was nice enough to tell me about them. Feels a bit like cheating, yes, but what can you do? Deliberately getting killed because "they deserved that kill" seems a bit silly as well

Upvote 0
I completely agree with the OP. I really do not understand those players to whom is more important to rack up the most kills to that measure that they are willing to make their game look like crap.

i turn my gamma up so i an shoot people in the dark... they rage it makes me smile

seriously why complain its an option most people dont like getting shoot so why not take an advantage?

Its really fun to ruin the game for other people isn't it?

Upvote 0
Look guys, the game will never be 100% fair. You might be nagging about gamma settings, but perhaps you have big screen with high resolution, where I have to play on 800x600 on a small screen, and now they're even taking away my zoom on classic servers. How is that fair?

Just stop *****ing about every little detail, and start enjoying the game your own way. The thing I like about this game is that it isn't always fair, just like in real life. Some maps are harder for one of both teams, and a rifle is almost never a match for a semi-auto. So what?

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Look guys, the game will never be 100% fair. You might be nagging about gamma settings, but perhaps you have big screen with high resolution, where I have to play on 800x600 on a small screen, and now they're even taking away my zoom on classic servers. How is that fair?

Just stop *****ing about every little detail, and start enjoying the game your own way. The thing I like about this game is that it isn't always fair, just like in real life. Some maps are harder for one of both teams, and a rifle is almost never a match for a semi-auto. So what?
This is the console generation, they will complain about every single little thing that doesn't fit into their idea of how the game should be played. Soon enough they will try to force everyone to use the same mouse sens, because clearly, if some "pre-teen-cod-kiddie-noob-etc" lowers his sens, he will have much easier time aiming his long range shots. Cheat!!!11

To OP and co: why don't you actually try to set max gamma (type "gamma 5" in console in game) and play like that. Soon enough you will find out that it is nearly unplayable since you can barely see at long range and even nearby it can be hard to tell whether it is a player or a sack of potatoes, because you have very little contrast. Slightly darkish gamma is actually better for visibility, if your monitor isn't utterly terrible. ;) Oh and have fun using menus and minimap with gamma 5.

Upvote 0