• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tweaking has to end NOW!

Perf Indicator icons on the screen will also give you away pretty quickly, which don't have any difference how light or dark an area is.

And how dark is that area really supposed to be? Pitch black as you think it should? Slightly lighter than pitch black?? Tell us what exactly is the right darkness to please you.

Never seen any settings that let you see through smoke, and I've tried them all..... not to try and see through the smoke, but while optimizing my video settings.

I don't have my gamma anywhere near max, yet I can still see details in the darkest areas..... am I cheating?

Cry s'more.

A useless concern and issue to say the least.... every other FPS out there has various brightness and gamma settings just like RO2 does.... these settings have existed for years.

I don't have my gamma/brightness set to some ridiculous setting that looks unrealistic... I have my game set to what looks real to me and even in dark areas or night time situations, I can still see beyond total black, thus my settings are set to that.

Don't like it?

Get over it.

Pitchblack should make you actually see nothing. A locations I believe myself "invisible (at least on some distance) when just standing there, no gunfire and no sounds (turning around footsteps, weapon checking) is opposite of the Administration Hall on small platform. I believe no one that is walking from Administration Hall to NCO Barracks and facing my direction should be able to see me. Perf indicators should for normal not work at a distance of about 100m. I recently asked a mate to take a look if you are visible up there. A muzzleflash will give away your position but just standing there was not visible for him. So on a realism server with no Kill Location Cam and one shot kill, he won't know that you are up there instantly. Some experienced people might know but fairly do you shoot "preemptive" rounds at every location you expect the enemy? And even if it was preemptive it can't be that he'll always exactly hit my head. There's some space up there to move around, so upper right corner is not always my heads location. What if I crouch, what if I go prone?

Apart from gamma or other settings, we could simply say, the guy was cheating.

We could also say that people who can see through the smoke are cheating and there is no chance on tweaking at all. Well then we do have a serious issue as RO2 has no protection against illegal means of advantage.

I hardly care about CoD tweaking as I rarely played it over the past years. Also CoD is about runner-ups and spray n pray and too there's enemy names above your head even on several hardcore servers. What use is it there at all to go camping in the foliage? None.

RO2 should be different from all those other shooters.

Your settings. Don't care. I hardly care what other people do with their pcs as long as it does not concern me.
Get over it? Yes, in a way, cause there's a good saying "Like it, change it or leave it!" and I don't like it, I can't change it (Tripwire's responsibility to even balance this) and I can only use the last one which I actually don't like either. So I'm kind of trapped between leaving and being annoyed by people who do unrealistic things.

Upvote 0
Could you please refrain from believing everyone having the same knowledge as you on this? I'd be glad if you find words to explain it to someone with lesser knowledge. :)

Google is your friend..... Try; PB CVAR DVAR INI

Glad to help.

• Real-time scanning of memory by PB Client on players' computers searching for known hacks/cheats
  • Throttled two-tiered background auto-update system using multiple Internet Master Servers to provide end-user security ensuring that no false or corrupted updates can be installed on players' computers
  • Frequent status reports (highly encrypted) are sent to the PB Server by all players and the PB Server raises a violation when necessary which causes the offending player to be removed from the game and all other players are informed of the violation
  • PB Admins can also manually remove players from the game for a specified number of minutes or permanently ban if desired
  • PB Servers can optionally be configured to randomly check player settings looking for known exploits of the game engine
  • PB Admins can request actual screenshot samples from specific players and/or can configure the PB Server to randomly grab screenshot samples from players during gameplay
  • An optional "bad name" facility is provided so that PB Admins can prevent players from using offensive player names containing unwanted profanity or racial slurs
  • Search functions are provided for PB Admins who wish to search player's keybindings and scripts for anything that may be known to exploit the game
  • The PunkBuster™ Player Power facility can be configured to allow players to self-administer game servers when the Server Administrator is not present entirely without the need for passwords
  • PB Servers have an optional built-in mini http web server interface that allows the game server to be remotely administered via a web browser from anywhere over the Internet

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What is more unfair and could as well be called cheating is people with high level playing against people with low level.

There should never have been a player progression system in the first place.

Man, and then you got those cheating buggers with pings of 50 or less playing against people with pings 100+... that's so unfair.

Oh and people with computers better than another's or with bigger resolutions, or those who don't use the same control setup :rolleyes:

..... cause there's a good saying "Like it, change it or leave it!" and I don't like it, I can't change it (Tripwire's responsibility to even balance this) and I can only use the last one which I actually don't like either. So I'm kind of trapped between leaving and being annoyed by people who do unrealistic things.

But there in lies the problem.... if you decide to leave RO2 because of these issues, then it's only logical to leave every other FPS game that has gamma settings and other video settings that could be "Exploited"... which is basically all other FPS's.

Someone could be lying still in a dark area, making no sounds, etc.... but if with my normal human eyes, I can see an outline of your body, or suspect someone is there for whatever reason, I'm going to take the shot, rather than take the chance of getting killed by someone I should have taken out in the first place.

The other issue is that after a few months of playing, just about everybody will know all the hide'y-holes, camping areas, and defensive positions, as well as offensive..... including your dark areas you decide to hide in..... if I enter a room I know has a good hiding spot that I was killed from a number of times before, that will be the first place I will look when entering again, and if something looks different from what I remember seeing in the past, chances are someone is there and I'll shoot.

You getting killed in that location often might be because of someone's gamma settings set high, but there could be a number of other reasons related to player experience and gameplay, and even including deliberate cheating/hacking with aimbots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Equal playing field for all=Console gaming.

A while back, I spent a stupid amount of money building a gaming rig. It's outdated now and I don't have another stupid amount of money. I'd like all you guys with bad *** i7's to please underclock your processors. Anyone have a GTX 580? Gonna need you to replace that with a 260. And so on until we all run the game at precisely 30FPS.

The big "P" in "PC" stands for PERSONAL. Dude wants to turn everything off and run the game as fast as possible? Go for it. Other dude wants to turn everything all the way up and enjoy just how freakin' good this game looks? Go for it. I've done both those ways and everywhere in between. I like a game that I can balance performance and appearance.

When people start demanding tweaks be locked down, you're essentially asking the devs to make console games. I'm all about CVAR/DVAR/INI checks. Let the admins pick how they want things. I don't need a dev to do it for me. For instance, I really dislike bloom. Will that be a forced option?

Don't let how other people enjoy playing the game affect your enjoyment of the game.

Upvote 0
Colour correcting is far more than simple contrast and brightness tweaking.

Of course it is. Otherwise turning off the depth-of-field/post-processing and adjusting the brightness and gamma to compensate wouldn't have made the game look better. I've compared the game side-by-side with both settings, and it looks rather better without that color correction washing things out.

Upvote 0

A while back, I spent a stupid amount of money building a gaming rig. It's outdated now and I don't have another stupid amount of money. I'd like all you guys with bad *** i7's to please underclock your processors. Anyone have a GTX 580? Gonna need you to replace that with a 260. And so on until we all run the game at precisely 30FPS.

The big "P" in "PC" stands for PERSONAL. Dude wants to turn everything off and run the game as fast as possible? Go for it. Other dude wants to turn everything all the way up and enjoy just how freakin' good this game looks? Go for it. I've done both those ways and everywhere in between. I like a game that I can balance performance and appearance.

When people start demanding tweaks be locked down, you're essentially asking the devs to make console games. I'm all about CVAR/DVAR/INI checks. Let the admins pick how they want things. I don't need a dev to do it for me. For instance, I really dislike bloom. Will that be a forced option?

Don't let how other people enjoy playing the game affect your enjoyment of the game.

pood point. although i dislike these kinds of exploits, i really am glad that pc games are adjustable as they are. the near endless combinations of hardware will always demand those options.
i never owned a pc that could be considered "high end", some of them were pretty unbalanced (for example a pentium3 933mhz with a x1950pro, which was later used with a dual core), because i tend to upgrade them one component at a time.
so there are times when i have to tweak newer games excessively to get them playable for me until my pc gets some new parts. i have been in situations when i had to use a spare geforce4 because my other gpu fried, and i had to tweak everything including lod values to make some games playable at all.
on the other hand it's pretty messed up when people tweak stuff not for the sake of achieving playable performance, but to gain an advantage over the other players. this is one of the unavoidable side-effects of pc gaming, there's really not much that can be done about it.

Upvote 0

Agreed

Can we at least get server tools that have the ability to autokick people who are running outside of a set parameter on everything that gives an advantage?

I'm not sure this is something they can enforce on the client-side; especially on UE3.

Upvote 0
i have to agree with the OP, there are some clans on the competetive scene that mod their settings so they can literally see through smoke. It's just amazingly lame.

Sadly you will always get the odd lowlife who feels they need an "edge" to beat others. Its sad that most of the time such people cant even see why others disapprove of thier bottomfeeding, victory-greter-than-fairness attitude.

Such is life :)

Upvote 0
When people compete, they usually do that what the rules allow them to. If they did not, the competition itself would feel pointless when it comes to the actual competition ^^.

That's true, but it does depend on how the individual player reacts to the situation. Taking the previous example of max. gamma, I know it happens - but I would never do the same myself, even if I thought I was losing out because of it. I would ignorantly soldier on, and take enjoyment from still (hopefully) managing to play effectively despite the disadvantage :)

That does only go so far though - if the "tweaking" (ignoring full-on cheats i.e. hacks etc.) is extreme and makes the whole thing completely pointless, then you're quite right - although my own approach would be stop playing, not to make myself equal by joining the tweakers :)

Upvote 0
If possible, how about just add a feature to lock Gamma into a "Default" situation in realism mode. Or to detect the gamma on a monitor (It's possible to do from what I've seen/read/heard) and have it auto adjust the settings depending on the server they join (Such as a server running Realism only).

Could work and it's a nice way to even it up when everyone has the default settings.

Upvote 0
If possible, how about just add a feature to lock Gamma into a "Default" situation in realism mode. Or to detect the gamma on a monitor (It's possible to do from what I've seen/read/heard) and have it auto adjust the settings depending on the server they join (Such as a server running Realism only).

Could work and it's a nice way to even it up when everyone has the default settings.

Not necessarily, people with brighter/bigger screens, or less sun-glare in their rooms might have an advantage, and someone else will probably whinge about them being "cheaters"..

Upvote 0
Because winning without an unfair advantage is where satisfaction and skill come from. Don't worry, when you hit the teen years you will (hopefully) understand. Until then, enjoy being the noob who plays an ugly washed out game because he feels the need to have an edge to compete.

Quote didn't work, I'm sure it's obvious who this applies to however.

I totally agree with you Sir.

I see Latteh try to be... sarcastic? and says that you are funny. Well, I think it can be a cumpliment. Is a good thing to bring fun to life.
On the other side I will add what I think about to "get an edge" with what I call "non holy ways".

There is clever people and there are non clever individuals.
The firsts I named, will make the great game I think RO 2 deserves to be. They will enjoy a "Gentlemen game" no matter if they are defeated or they win.

The others will enjoy using no matter what kind of cheat, to feel themselves something close to a "winner". Close to, not a real one.
Is not the same "To be" that "to look like".

What can we do about this?...
We MUST enjoy the Gentlemen's game (and Ladies) and leave behind the "herd of donkeys". (sorry donkeys...)

Salute you!

VergeltungsFeuer
4th Panzer Division
Commander
(World of Tanks)
www.the4thpanzerdivision.freeforums.org

Upvote 0