• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tweaking has to end NOW!

And why people should follow your rules not the man next to you or anyone else's rules at all? Your rules apply to you. Their rules apply to them.

Who said anybody should follow my rules?

I am simply stating that the only fair way to have a fair game is on a level playing field, and we're not going to get that as long people can ' tweak ' to the extent they can now.

Upvote 0
Yeah because PunkBuster works so well at stopping cheaters, just ask DICE

First off: You have obviously no idea what CVAR checks are. And we're not talking about scripts, we are talking about the Tweaking of the engine (fog removal etc). That's what CVAR checks are used for - looking if all parameters are in an acceptable way, so that no players can get a advantage by using a simple console command.

And 2nd: A bad integration of PB is not the fault of evenbalance - DICE did a pretty **** job there (late integration, PBSS bugs, no battlerecorder, no spec mode.. etc). Anyways, PB in combination with a streaming system - PBBans, GGC ... - can be extremely effective against cheaters. The banlists of Battlefield 3 are speaking for themselves:
http://www.pbbans.com/mbi-overview-bf3-ov41.html PBBans - 8,914 Entries
http://www.ggc-stream.com/banlist/info/overview GGC - 11,623 Entries
http://www.anticheatinc.net/forums/portal.php ACI - 421 Entries

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All CVAR checks do is allow tweaking within acceptable parameters. If you tweak outside of the server admins imposed parameters, you'll generally get a warning about the particular CVAR. If it doesn't change, you'll get kicked from the server. If you want to play on that server, you'll adjust your CVAR within the range (its generally stated in the message you receive). Everyone playing on that server can be somewhat certain that everyone is playing with parameters similar to his.

I would really like to see TW and EvenBalance work to see that CVAR checks are a viable option for admins.

Upvote 0
I'm curious about this. What kind of hardware?

Better i dont tell it, or anybody will use it.

I'm also curious about RO2 blurriness. Most of the time it's perfectly sharp for me, (except when there is intentional DOF blur, or when the screen goes black and white, and pulsing (fear/suppression thing?).
Then again, I play at 2560x1600, so maybe this makes a difference?

Compared to other games, like RO1, RO2 is very blurry. I dont know if this
is an DOF effect or i just have to change my settings.
I play at a 4:3 TFT with the native 1280x1024 resolution.
Things like weapons are very sharp, only the invironment looks unsharp.
Perhaps, its the DOF effect, then i would prefer to deactivate it.
Efects like DOF, or motion blur are camera effects, i don

Upvote 0
Better i dont tell it, or anybody will use it.

Compared to other games, like RO1, RO2 is very blurry. I dont know if this
is an DOF effect or i just have to change my settings.
I play at a 4:3 TFT with the native 1280x1024 resolution.
Things like weapons are very sharp, only the invironment looks unsharp.
Perhaps, its the DOF effect, then i would prefer to deactivate it.
Efects like DOF, or motion blur are camera effects, i don

Upvote 0
I hate the word cheaters. I especially hate that word when used towards somebody who adjusts "ingame" settings through the menu options. To me a cheater is one who actually installs a script (script kiddies anyone) or some such "extra" in the game files to alter his gameplay.
Tweaking "ingame" options is there for a reason.

I can honestly say that the only time I have ever changed an .ini file was to "fix" a lack of widescreen capability. Is that cheating if others have not done the same?

As to the OP and hiding in the dark, to what end does this accomplish the objective you have been given in the mission briefing? What are you defending, if that's what you are doing? And finally, if I am shot from out of the dark more than once or twice and I figure out where you are lying in the dark, I can guarantee I will be telling my team mates exactly where you are laying in wait. Maybe that's what is happening and it's time you come up with a different strategy, eh? You shouldn't assume that everyone who shoots you in the dark might be cheating, maybe they are using teamwork and are trying to get you to change your game.

I have often wondered how some players can do what I call pop up head shots. You know, they pop up over a window sill or wall and pop back down. They do this 2 or 3 times, then on the 3rd time, they head shoot me, even if I move a bit from their view...is that cheating or an exploit because I don't know anyone IRL that would risk something stupid like that AND actually pull it off.

Upvote 0
I hate the word cheaters. I especially hate that word when used towards somebody who adjusts "ingame" settings through the menu options. To me a cheater is one who actually installs a script (script kiddies anyone) or some such "extra" in the game files to alter his gameplay.
Tweaking "ingame" options is there for a reason.

I can honestly say that the only time I have ever changed an .ini file was to "fix" a lack of widescreen capability. Is that cheating if others have not done the same?

As to the OP and hiding in the dark, to what end does this accomplish the objective you have been given in the mission briefing? What are you defending, if that's what you are doing? And finally, if I am shot from out of the dark more than once or twice and I figure out where you are lying in the dark, I can guarantee I will be telling my team mates exactly where you are laying in wait. Maybe that's what is happening and it's time you come up with a different strategy, eh? You shouldn't assume that everyone who shoots you in the dark might be cheating, maybe they are using teamwork and are trying to get you to change your game.

I have often wondered how some players can do what I call pop up head shots. You know, they pop up over a window sill or wall and pop back down. They do this 2 or 3 times, then on the 3rd time, they head shoot me, even if I move a bit from their view...is that cheating or an exploit because I don't know anyone IRL that would risk something stupid like that AND actually pull it off.

Cliffs what you did is fine.... I've often wondered about the pop-up head shots too... strange stuff there.

I watch for the kills of players who "think" they're hiding in bushes or grass and get picked off, clean as a whistle. The shooters of those get warned and if it continues, they get gone quickly.

Upvote 0
I think it's similar to leaning out and back - they know where you are, they just reduce the chance to get shot by rapidly changing their position. I don't think you can cheat like that by altering in-game files or tweaking something. It's probably using the game mechanic in an unintended way. It does leave a bad taste, but same can be told about people exposing just a little of themselves to shoot and the get back. We can't find a perfect system and making in more clumsy would favor the "defending" shooter (from the lack of better term).

Upvote 0
I think it's similar to leaning out and back - they know where you are, they just reduce the chance to get shot by rapidly changing their position. I don't think you can cheat like that by altering in-game files or tweaking something. It's probably using the game mechanic in an unintended way. It does leave a bad taste, but same can be told about people exposing just a little of themselves to shoot and the get back. We can't find a perfect system and making in more clumsy would favor the "defending" shooter (from the lack of better term).

Really?? Popping straight up and down?? Amazing analogy. I think you are mistaken. I'd still like to know how its accomplished. The lean functions doing this do not make sense to me. You lean either left or right. Not up and down.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I meant that when you lean you move your body left or right - this is sometimes used to confuse the shooter, even when both players have clear line of sight, that he misses his (first) shoot.

Popping up and down can be similar attempt to avoid getting shot - if you see only person's head then object is very small. When it disappears very rapidly you can miss your shoot and the enemy might know already where to aim when he last looked out and will shoot you fast . I think that ping difference can make it more or less likely to happen. It'll probably disappear with client-side detection, but it depends on how rapid popping up and down is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Come on man, gimme a break... Lean has nothing to do with the head popping and neither does client-side. :)

I think he's talking about how, with the server-side model, you can pop out and back in quick enough that, due to latency and the hit-detection model, the other person can't hit you unless they have shot before they see you pop out; by the time they see you and their shot can arrive at the server, you're already behind cover. In a client-side model, that doesn't happen. If you can see it, you can hit it.

Also, people who "think" they're hiding in bushes or grass often aren't, and banning people for shooting them seems to be making quite the assumption there, doesn't it?

Upvote 0
You know, they pop up over a window sill or wall and pop back down. They do this 2 or 3 times, then on the 3rd time, they head shoot me, even if I move a bit from their view...is that cheating or an exploit because I don't know anyone IRL that would risk something stupid like that AND actually pull it off.
It's simple use of game mechanics. Your aim vector remains unaffected by leaning or cover pop-out, so you can peek as many times as you need to adjust your aim before finally taking the shot. Not only does it keep you exposed for less time, but because of how the default networking model functions...
I think he's talking about how, with the server-side model, you can pop out and back in quick enough that, due to latency and the hit-detection model, the other person can't hit you unless they have shot before they see you pop out; by the time they see you and their shot can arrive at the server, you're already behind cover.
...if you do the peek-out routine correct, you almost cannot be shot back. The behind-the-scenes technical behavior of the game means that only a psychic predictive shot can hit.

Client-side hit detection will fix that part, at least, but IMO, peeking and cover pop-out (and adjusting stances, and a few other things...) could still use some random freeaim adjustment in the process, because nobody is actually capable of pulling off those maneuvers that precisely.

Upvote 0
I think he's talking about how, with the server-side model, you can pop out and back in quick enough that, due to latency and the hit-detection model, the other person can't hit you unless they have shot before they see you pop out; by the time they see you and their shot can arrive at the server, you're already behind cover. In a client-side model, that doesn't happen. If you can see it, you can hit it.

Also, people who "think" they're hiding in bushes or grass often aren't, and banning people for shooting them seems to be making quite the assumption there, doesn't it?

You and Mek.... Thank you for the info....

About the foliage dealio;
I have eyes and when I see a teammate hiding in foliage.... and he gets nailed as if he's in plain sight... well you get the picture.

The exploits are there and they will come under control sooner or later. When they do all will be ok. Until then - I'll use the old, "where there is smoke, there is fire on our servers".

I will not stand by and watch users getting slaughtered by creeps using exploits of any kind. That's the last thing we need now. End of story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About the foliage dealio;
I have eyes and when I see a teammate hiding in foliage.... and he gets nailed as if he's in plain sight... well you get the picture.

You're still assuming things. I've many times killed people I couldn't possibly see simply because I could deduce where they were. Probably the most notorious is the north side of Spartanovka, where a german sniper can hide behind a fence and have ~250 meter LOS, yet be effectively invisible due to lighting and the fence. Many times if people are dying a lot on that side and nobody is visible, I'll put a few rounds into that area, and it's surprising how often I'll get a kill (Was how I got the Marksman Gold achievement, even). There are many similar places. There's also muzzle flash that can give away the position, slight movements drawing attention, being killed by him and seeing where the shot came from (Either death cam if enabled, or simply from the available cover and direction of the sound/impact), or simply having seen them move into place.

If it's something like someone scoring repeated hits through smoke (Short of spraying lucky shots), that seems more likely, but being shot in a bush is common. Simply put, if you can see out, other people can see in.

Upvote 0