• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire and this patch involving VAC

It won't stop cheating......Worst argument ever. Giving drivers DWI's and locking them up in jail doesn't stop drinking and driving. So lets just let everyone drink and drive. :rolleyes: Lets just scold them and put them back on the road......

To those who hacked when they were "kids"......Welcome to adulthood.
Cry us a river. But take notice, the real world doesn't really care to hear your sob story...

Get a new steam account. Buy the game again. To me, it seems like a very small price to pay in retribution for the misery caused by the hacker to many an innocent bystanders.

Those who bought the game with an account that had a VAC ban should learn to read the fine print when purchasing games on Steam. But I guess that is asking too much from someone who likes to take the easy way out.

My ire with hackers goes back to running servers during the days of no anti-cheat software (except what BlackBart put together on his own). Too many hours put into keeping them out of the server and not enough hours actually enjoying the server I was paying for and the game I wanted to play.

Kids today don't want to deal with the consequences of their actions. Man up. Get a new account. Buy the game again. Its the least you can do for ruining the gaming experience of those you encountered in the past.....

Or <light bulb> play on servers that feel sorry for you and don't choose to use the "VOLUNTARY" system that TWI has given to server admins.....
You do know how many players that have been banned by bad match making right?

Upvote 0
You do know how many players that have been banned by bad match making right?

The same thing keeps popping up in these endlessly pointless threads...
"It was X number of years ago!"

or

"I got thrown into a hacking server"

It would seem from all of these posts that no one really thinks they did anything wrong. Please deal with it and move on.

Upvote 0
The same thing keeps popping up in these endlessly pointless threads...
"It was X number of years ago!"

or

"I got thrown into a hacking server"

It would seem from all of these posts that no one really thinks they did anything wrong. Please deal with it and move on.

Sure, a lot of vacbanned players have cheated, otherwise they won't be banned.
But that still doesn't mean that the cheating will be gone by denying people who haven't cheated in years and even people who haven't actually cheated but got thrown into a hacked lobby because of matchmaking.
And even if you have cheated in the past, it doesn't mean you have or even intented to cheats in RO2/RS...

Upvote 0
I really don't think this TERMINATED change will make much of an impact on the volume of hackers. You can simply use steam family sharing to play the game on a different account without purchasing the game again. Hackers will exploit this option in order to continually hack with fresh accounts.

Upvote 0
And even if you have cheated in the past, it doesn't mean you have or even intented to cheats in RO2/RS...

Sounds like that some guys really pissed off what happend. When somebody has cheated in a game i think that he thought this does`nt matter. It`s my decision if i cheat or not. So i can`t understand why these guys are now pissed off cause they thought: Yeah lets cheat in this game it does`nt matter. Could you tell me why you`re sounding like a guy who is pissed off now???

Upvote 0
Sounds like that some guys really pissed off what happend. When somebody has cheated in a game i think that he thought this does`nt matter. It`s my decision if i cheat or not. So i can`t understand why these guys are now pissed off cause they thought: Yeah lets cheat in this game it does`nt matter. Could you tell me why you`re sounding like a guy who is pissed off now???

I don't understand that?
But if you wanna know why I'm pissed, it's because they are trying to stop cheating by implementing the new VAC feature, but this new VAC feature won't stop hacking, the only result will be a lot of players getting denied playing this game. A lot of these guys either cheated in a completely unrelated game years ago, or because they were unlucky and got thrown into a hacked match because of match making in games like MW2 and MW3.

Upvote 0
but this new VAC feature won't stop hacking
Nothing can stop hacking, only reduce it. And this feature has drastically reduced hacking.
or because they were unlucky and got thrown into a hacked match because of match making in games like MW2 and MW3.

According to this, that's not possible:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/10190/discussions/0/864974467719651252/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/42690/discussions/0/540739405757612096/

It sounds like a lie that was made up by hackers to try and defame VAC in order to get the gaming community riled up against it.

Here's an example:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1y70ej/valve_vac_and_trust

The hacking community succeeded in getting much of the gaming communities on reddit really angry at Valve for having VAC supposedly send back your DNS data back to Valve even in a hashed format. It turned out to only do so if it detected you connecting to a specific IP that was only used as a DRM measure for paid hacks. Valve then removed this feature in the next Steam update because it was no longer relevant to do so after the hackers caught on.

Upvote 0
I don't understand that?
But if you wanna know why I'm pissed, it's because they are trying to stop cheating by implementing the new VAC feature, but this new VAC feature won't stop hacking, the only result will be a lot of players getting denied playing this game. A lot of these guys either cheated in a completely unrelated game years ago, or because they were unlucky and got thrown into a hacked match because of match making in games like MW2 and MW3.

Ok then open up your own Server and Call it: "I wanna play with cheaters". I think you should be happy and cheaters are your best friends then.

Upvote 0
Nothing can stop hacking, only reduce it. And this feature has drastically reduced hacking.

According to this, that's not possible:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/10190/discussions/0/864974467719651252/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/42690/discussions/0/540739405757612096/

It sounds like a lie that was made up by hackers to try and defame VAC in order to get the gaming community riled up against it.

Here's an example:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1y70ej/valve_vac_and_trust

The hacking community succeeded in getting much of the gaming communities on reddit really angry at Valve for having VAC supposedly send back your DNS data back to Valve even in a hashed format. It turned out to only do so if it detected you connecting to a specific IP that was only used as a DRM measure for paid hacks. Valve then removed this feature in the next Steam update because it was no longer relevant to do so after the hackers caught on.

It won't reduce it drastically, it will just ban past cheaters, whom most of wouldn't cheat again.

Nope, it's not a lie about the matchmaking, I myself have tried it about 5 times playing COD, I was lucky enough NOT to get vacbanned because of it, but i do know people who has been vacbanned in other hacked matches.

Upvote 0
The whole process may help deter cheating.

If all game companies adopted the policy, you can bet that players might think twice about cheating, knowing that they will not only get VAC banned in that game, but others.

Now, you will never stop cheating or hacking completely, that's true, but if you can reduce the incentives for people to create hacks and put up deterrents (banning) then it might be minimized.

Upvote 0
The whole process may help deter cheating.

If all game companies adopted the policy, you can bet that players might think twice about cheating, knowing that they will not only get VAC banned in that game, but others.

Now, you will never stop cheating or hacking completely, that's true, but if you can reduce the incentives for people to create hacks and put up deterrents (banning) then it might be minimized.

Make them think twice? A lot of hackers don't get VAC banned, you can actually purchase cheats for around $100 that aren't vac detected.
And even if all companies adopted the policy, the hackers would simply be smarter and make a new account and by the game they want to cheat in. That way they'd only lose access to one game.

Upvote 0
Ok. Try this on for size.

If you've cheated in any online game EVER, I don't want to play with you. Period. That is essentially what this VOLUNTARY server setting is all about.

If somehow by the evil Gods of Good Intentions you were "matched" into a hacker server and banned then you have two choices when it comes to RO. Get a new account and repurchase the game. Or play on servers that don't use that VOLUNTARILY server setting. (Oh, btw, if you believe you were banned by bad match making, I have some quality ocean front property in Switzerland I'll sell you cheap.)

You apparently didn't read comprehend my previous post. The use of this tool has almost nothing to do with stopping hackers, but everything to do with allowing people to choose NOT to play with known cheaters. Why is it OK for someone to cheat and ruin someone else's game, but when someone chooses not to play with the cheater, the cheater cries foul because that choice is ruining their gameplay. :confused:

I truly do not understand the mindset of the cheater.......Its mind boggling. Using a Monopoly analogy, The cheater cheats so they can "pass go AND collect $200. But they expect to get a "Get out of Jail free card" when they get caught. Not on my watch, buddy.....;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0