• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Total War series

Ok, so finally got the game, and first impressions are: This is bloody hard!

since this is my first TW game I set this game on easy and start rocking out with the Shimazu clan, after 5 turns I have to restart because all the rival clans have made an alliance with each other and barricaded me in with the only two towns I have, I then lose due to financial and food shortages to try and keep my army up with theirs!

No matter, I'll try the more aggressive approach so I capture the first province that I was supposed to, and I wage war with the clan that was competing with me for extra territory, next thing I know, every clan I have met is trying to bloody kill me! Not being able to recover my armies in time, losing soon afterwards...

I don't know why realm divide is so hated in this game, everyone's out to get your guts anyway!

I also git some other impressions off this game,

- It's great I finally managed to find a game where superior tactics defeat superior units, my general tactic is to mass ashigaru and encircle the army, it's been working out for me

- This is one of those games where the AI know exactly where you are, and what you are doing, somehow managing to sneak past my main army, and frontal defenses and still somehow knows which province was just drained due to me reinforcing my main army, really annoying!

- Auto resolve is a pain in the arse! It seems to think that because I clicked it, it gets special permission to use my level 3 general as a meat shield against a group so my all important yari ashigaru remain unharmed. This means that either I have to prepare to lose my general gaurds which take forver to heal. Or fight manually anaginst a lone group of load sword units which were harrasing my rice crops, draging out the entire game.

- healing takes so f**cking long! I lose ten of my general guards and it takes 20 turns in one of my provinces 20 turns! that's five years needed for the general to pick ten units, all he needs to do is go to a local barracks, and pick ten soldiers he fancies, almost all of which (AFAIK) would kill for simply being a part if the generals presence!

Wow that was a bit more than I was planning to write...

A fine game, I must say

Upvote 0
It takes quite a while early on to replenish casualties until you expand a bit and get good infastructure between areas. However since you're playing as Shimazu focusing more on katana samurai will get you better results than spamming tons of ashigaru, considering it's the clan's so-called special unit and one reason why it's perfect Mario clan for starters. After early expansion it's not bad idea either to decentralise recruiting as much as possible to prevent sudden (if temporary) bottlenecks or negative growth in regions other than early in the game when you pretty much have just a single region, unless you're playing as Hojo.

You might want to consider downloading Darthmod Shogun though, it's ~500mb download and the most recent version is 3.3. Makes the gameplay far more interesting and fixes some of the lulzy things about Shogun 2, including heat seeking intercontinental ballistic anime arrow archers etc.

Edit: I am not saying to ignore ashigaru altogether but Shimazu's faster katana samurai training times (1x turn instead of 2x turns) and katana > spear in melee in even fight, go figure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, so finally got the game, and first impressions are: This is bloody hard!

since this is my first TW game I set this game on easy and start rocking out with the Shimazu clan, after 5 turns I have to restart because all the rival clans have made an alliance with each other and barricaded me in with the only two towns I have, I then lose due to financial and food shortages to try and keep my army up with theirs!

No matter, I'll try the more aggressive approach so I capture the first province that I was supposed to, and I wage war with the clan that was competing with me for extra territory, next thing I know, every clan I have met is trying to bloody kill me! Not being able to recover my armies in time, losing soon afterwards...

I don't know why realm divide is so hated in this game, everyone's out to get your guts anyway!

I also git some other impressions off this game,

- It's great I finally managed to find a game where superior tactics defeat superior units, my general tactic is to mass ashigaru and encircle the army, it's been working out for me

- This is one of those games where the AI know exactly where you are, and what you are doing, somehow managing to sneak past my main army, and frontal defenses and still somehow knows which province was just drained due to me reinforcing my main army, really annoying!

- Auto resolve is a pain in the arse! It seems to think that because I clicked it, it gets special permission to use my level 3 general as a meat shield against a group so my all important yari ashigaru remain unharmed. This means that either I have to prepare to lose my general gaurds which take forver to heal. Or fight manually anaginst a lone group of load sword units which were harrasing my rice crops, draging out the entire game.

- healing takes so f**cking long! I lose ten of my general guards and it takes 20 turns in one of my provinces 20 turns! that's five years needed for the general to pick ten units, all he needs to do is go to a local barracks, and pick ten soldiers he fancies, almost all of which (AFAIK) would kill for simply being a part if the generals presence!

Wow that was a bit more than I was planning to write...
Ashigaru, Ashigaru and Ashigaru what you need to to do is a get a stack of them ASAP not build Samurai en mass until you get a smithy. Also why heal units when you can merge them? Also use the "score" on the dipo screen to find out why certian factions gun for you...

Not really, just use Ninjas as they are just baller...

Upvote 0
Just played a couple of games on lan with my friends in the good old Rome Total War. After playing every game in the Total War franchise, Rome has been the most successful and the best Total War game ever made (yet).

If there is ever going to be Rome 2: Total War.. well, I don't know how they can improve it from the first RomeTW. Except graphics.. maybe sea battles, don't know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just played a couple of games on lan with my friends in the good old Rome Total War. After playing every game in the Total War franchise, Rome has been the most successful and the best Total War game ever made (yet).

If there is ever going to be Rome 2: Total War.. well, I don't know how they can improve it from the first RomeTW. Except graphics.. maybe sea battles, don't know.
I know a lot of improvements for R:TW to make it less shallow, but those things are more from civilization and Crusader Kings.
Total War series has always been rather shallow on diplomatic, financial and city management.

Upvote 0
I dunno, but unless they fix the AI and make it an actual challenge I don't think I'll be getting it, despite how ridiculously appealing it sounds.

That said, this part sounds VERY good to me:

“We’re … trying to focus attention on a much smaller number of armies and a smaller number of more significant battles” James Russell explains. “We’re trying to reduce the management you’ve got to do [with] assembling armies, and that kind of thing.”

The three biggest problems I've had with the TW series are the AI, the shallowness of the diplomacy, city construction etc options compared to games like Civ, and the repetitive nature of the tactical battles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
okayguy.jpg

Man I was one of those buffs wishing it was going to be a WW1...

Upvote 0
Rome 2! Nice.

All those screenshots though and nothing recognizable?
All I found is this statue
nellies.jpg

But that's the Artemision bronze, ancient Greek, not Roman, and it was only slightly over life-sized not as gargantuan as in the screenshot.

I liked Rome because the Total War series was new to me and I enjoyed the depth and the era, but if this is just an update with prettier graphics and new features but the same horribly arcadey, gamey, hollywood approach rather than at least an attempt at capturing what Rome was like I don't think I want it.
I've been burned by supposed advancements before and bought new Total War games only to find out that the improvements were superficial at best and the games weren't really better than the old ones.

I want a "Rome", not a Roman version of 300. The screenshots don't look promising in this regard at all. I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
I want a "Rome", not a Roman version of 300. The screenshots don't look promising in this regard at all. I hope I'm wrong.

You do realize Creative Assembly is working for a company who's only interest in this game is how many it will sell, and that company is definitely not in a good shape. There is so much stuff CA can put in the Total War formula before it becomes a HOI style "meh, boring" to the average gamer out there.

At least they still allow modding of their games, so it can suit to everyone's interest.

Upvote 0
I don't want a realistic simulation of the empire's taxes. I want recognizable equipment that doesn't look like out of an Asterix comic, I want a couple of recognizable buildings and statues, I want recognizable city layouts and I want forums (!) and not literal city squares to hold and capture... With the wrong statues on them to boot.

The game is a game and I've come to terms with what Total War is by now. I stopped caring at Medieval 2, I think. But if I'm going to get Rome 2 it won't be because the gameplay is better but because I can play it and have the occasional "ah, look at that!" moment and to subject myself to the atmosphere of a historical era.

If they don't even attempt to capture that and make that work then I'll be happy for them for attempting to make an AI that doesn't stink, maybe more interesting battles where you're not just exploiting AI weaknesses but are actually fighting, I'll be happy for them for pushing the envelope on rendering armies, happy for them for innovations like combined naval and land-based attacks... but I won't buy or play the game because I don't care about any of these things, tbh.

Upvote 0
It's funny though, because when the Total War franchise began, everyone praised it for being a realistic tactics game set in the feudal era of Japan, without crazy fantasy elements or girls in skimpy outfits. Even Japanese journalists praised it, one saying something to the effect of: "it's sad that it takes a foreigner to get our history right." But then the historical accuracy started to kind of drop off... or maybe our standards became more strict with each iteration.

Upvote 0