• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Total War series

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've played Rome, Medieval 2, Empire and Napoleon. I'd love to report my progress in playing Shogun 2 ... except that FRIGGING GAME WON'T RECOGNIZE MY DISCRETE GRAPHICS CARD AND INSISTS ON PLAYING WITH THE INTEGRATED INTEL HD GFX INSTEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Not sure if I should be pissed off at nVidia, Intel or CA on this one.

Laptop is a Toshiba with intel i7-2630QM and nVidia GT540M.

Upvote 0
Why don't you go to NVIDIA control panel and assign your dedicated card to Shogun 2 executable?

Optimus works well most of the time, but sometimes it decides the game doesn't need to use the dedicated card. It has nothing to do with the game.

Doesn't work, for whatever reason.

Thing is, the game is actually running on the nVidia card. Has to be, since it's running the DX11 version, and the IGP only supports 10.1. BUT the game is only using 535 MB of video ram, which is how much the IGP has ... and a bunch of the graphics options are tied to how much video RAM you have ... and 535 MB isn't enough to, for instance, turn up the size of the armies that you're allowed to have.

The game needs to see the gig of video RAM that the discrete card has in order for me to turn the options up.

Nah, won't work.
This will do.

I've already tried that. Didn't work.

Upvote 0
New Shogun 2 standalone Expansion coming out soon, called "Fall of the Samurai." It's about western technology destroying the last of the Japanese traditions.

http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2/fall-of-the-samurai

Now, for some advice, since I'm not gonna get R6: Vegas 2 due to you guys saying it's garbage, shall I purchase Shogun 2 and practice for FotS, or get Civ 5 and just wait till this has been released?

^ Total war n00b, so all advice help :)

Upvote 0
Well IMO you should get Rise Of The Samurai and the Blood Pack, its a bloody shame that you did not get them during the Steam Sales but Shogun 2 is the best TW game ever made (note: Without mods) and one thing stands out:
sho2n.png

Turns TW game into Nethack, you only have one autosave that override itself when you start to a battle and the battles are return to how they used to work before Rome, this is perfect because once I know I cant be beaten in TW game I get bored.

People have some really "Hurp Derp" reasons for not liking this this game, the unit pool is small but then every unit has a use (barring horse archers) unlike the other TWs, people say that Realm Divide is dumb (where the other clan make a power block to fight you) even though in every TW game everyone declares on you at some point and people say Japan is too limited, from a historical sense its fine for any of the Japanese clans to come to power but it irks me when the Indian Martha Confederacy are now the masters of Europe...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest, Realm Divide is what made me quit playing this game. All that careful diplomacy, economy and army that I created was instantly gone. Just because the game developers couldn't create a good campaign AI(even though AI has insane bonuses) and to cover that they make everyone else on the map to declare war on you. Such a bull****.

I really enjoyed the game in the early phases as I was fighting for my survival in 3-4 provinces though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've played Rome, medieval 2 and shogun 2 and I must say I prefer Rome, it's a cool time in history, medieval 2 was fun too but at that time my pc had problems running it and I found the campaign to be too short, infact I dislike the time limit in the campaign, I prefer to take my time to create an army of elite soldiers. Shogun 2 was fun for a while but I prefer a whole world map or at least europe and I couldn't relate to the japanese style.

Upvote 0
It seems to be own kind of TW tradition these days that CA releases games with tons of potential but are just crippled with some downright weird design choices (or lack of polish) in general. Like Shogun 2's heatseeking anime archer arrows that have the precision of modern calibrated AT gunnery that knows no range limits either, unless the magical deflector shield decides to work and magically some of the arrows just "miss" -- but only once in a blue moon. You could just have 4-6 archer units and pretty much curbstomp any army against you... unless it was AI stack with 9\10 of army made from archers for the same reason.

Mods are pretty much mandatory in any TW game these days to bring them to the potential level one would've expected them to be for the most part. I'm having quite a blast with Shogun 2 + Darthmod now though. :)

Upvote 0
I've played Rome, medieval 2 and shogun 2 and I must say I prefer Rome, it's a cool time in history, medieval 2 was fun too but at that time my pc had problems running it and I found the campaign to be too short, infact I dislike the time limit in the campaign, I prefer to take my time to create an army of elite soldiers. Shogun 2 was fun for a while but I prefer a whole world map or at least europe and I couldn't relate to the japanese style.

Same here. Rome is my favourite of the series although Medieval 2 comes close. Like you say the time limit on the Campaign is really annoying as it feels too fast and when it first came out my PC had trouble running it as well. I went back to it a few years ago to try it again and it's great. A long with the tweak to make the campaign longer from 2 years a turn to 6 months.

Spoiler!

However I've been turned off TW by Empire. It just didn't play well and fails to hold my attention for more than an hour at most. Not sure what it is but it doesn't hold the same kind of interest as Rome/Med 2. Also I thought I would love the new sea battles but they just bog the game down and the usual problems seem to be more apparent in Empire..

Upvote 0
To be honest, Realm Divide is what made me quit playing this game. All that careful diplomacy, economy and army that I created was instantly gone. Just because the game developers couldn't create a good campaign AI(even though AI has insane bonuses) and to cover that they make everyone else on the map to declare war on you. Such a bull****.

I really enjoyed the game in the early phases as I was fighting for my survival in 3-4 provinces though.
RD makes perfect sense at the start as that is what happened to Oda Nobunaga (everyone declared war on him, even clans no near him like the Mori who trolled him at sea) and he had to beat them all, its just that once you become Shogun there should be a pro-player power block (although that is even do able if you make post realm divide vassals). Also as I said, the same thing happens in every TW game but my god, its a glorious hard power black to beat next to the utter lack of an end game of the other TW games...

I must say I prefer Rome, it's a cool time in history.
Which was butchered, really ****ing butchered, if you think MKB bad was in RO2 than that is nothing next to horrors like:
rome-total-war-20040604021441256-000.jpg

Oh dear god... The older I get the more it pisses me off...

I prefer to take my time to create an army of elite soldiers
For me that kind of boring, you see one of the reasons why I love the TW game as it (and legendary help bring it with extra risk) is that its so dramatic, as you take you small army and forced to take on overwhelming odds but I know that is not for everyone and you play most most TW past the time limit although you cannot win.

Shogun 2 was fun for a while but I prefer a whole world map or at least europe
That is what the Paradox games are for, TW should be focused on smaller conflicts and leave the big stuff to paradox as I dont want another Empire. Also when it comes to conquest Europe is a terrible, if you can name me a major war in Europe from 1453-1789 which saw a TW style conquest with major European nations conquering other major European nations which was not about sectarian issues or a civil wars then I'll give you a nice hat. Whilst there were some wars like that in the colonies, Europe was mostly about nobles doing their best to keep the status quo, the biggest land grab happened to the poor Polish and even that was done via diplomacy rather than a big war.

War in the non-Christian parts of the world was very different and dynamic lending itself better to TW style gameplay (for example in Japan any clan could have won and it makes total sense), so unless CA can get around the thickly layered politics and pretty much remove conquest from TW then we are going to have dumb things like the British establish an mainland empire if they return to Europe after the middle ages...

Now it may seem like I am picking on you but I am not, its just that that you like the things that I was glad that Shogun 2 got rid of...
:p

Upvote 0
Yeah, in the original Shogun you knew no alliance was going to last forever because every faction had the same goal you did, so you took all that Art of War stuff to heart and played every round like you could be stabbed in the back at any second... and so did the AI or so it seemed. It lended truth to the title "Total War," because it was a war of annihilation where eight would become one.

Once you start adding whole continents and timelines spanning multiple centuries, the core game mechanics stop making sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played some RTW and I liked that but not as much as M2TW, I really liked that one, especially the Kingdoms expansion pack.
ETW was also very good IMO, I really liked the naval battles and have put over 800 hours in in since release devided about equally SP and MP.

I skipped NTW, didn't had much interest in that period. Also skipped Shogun 2, didn't think it would be much fun, might want to reconsider that some time. Or someone would have to convince me to get it sooner :D

Upvote 0
I've been playing the hell out of Napoleon Total War since I bought it on Steam last week for 5 bucks. With Darthmod, it's been awesome so far (I don't bother with Vanilla since the gameplay is so arcadey and hilariously historically innacurate). Here's a link to my profile which has some screens of my most recent bloody battle vs the French. I lost 2000 troops while they lost around 4000. They're morale is so bloody high it takes the 1800s equivelent of a nuclear weapon to make them run away ...

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197973086834/screenshots/

Let me know if for some reason you all can't see those shots. Darthmod really DOES make everything 1000x times better. There are other great mods for NTW, but so far Darthmod seems to have the best combat. NTW3 (Napoleonic Total War 3) has gotten alot of attention, but when I tried it, the battles were ludicrously slow... like two line regiments would open up on eachother at pointblank and hardly take any casualties. Really took the fun out of this kind of warfare, but Darthmod always seems to strike the right balance between epic scale/fun and realism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played some RTW and I liked that but not as much as M2TW, I really liked that one, especially the Kingdoms expansion pack.
ETW was also very good IMO, I really liked the naval battles and have put over 800 hours in in since release devided about equally SP and MP.

I skipped NTW, didn't had much interest in that period. Also skipped Shogun 2, didn't think it would be much fun, might want to reconsider that some time. Or someone would have to convince me to get it sooner :D
Kingdoms is wonderful is because of the smaller time scale they put to the game, fighting and politicing over the British Isles, Baltic, Middle East and Americans was more fun than doing a bland 300 years that dont make a lick of sense. Also its a REALLY shame that you did not get S2 was it was wonderful and very recently on sale in steam, if the vanilla campaign feels bland the DLC RotS based on the Genpai war just feels better thanks to the extra refinement it does to the new S2 features...

Yeah, in the original Shogun you knew no alliance was going to last forever because every faction had the same goal you did, so you took all that Art of War stuff to heart and played every round like you could be stabbed in the back at any second... and so did the AI or so it seemed. It lended truth to the title "Total War," because it was a war of annihilation where eight would become one.

Once you start adding whole continents and timelines spanning multiple centuries, the core game mechanics stop making sense.
Exactly, small detailed wars would be wonderful, for example they could do a game about the modern South/Central American states over throwing thier overlords and then fighting over land (or in one nation's case fighting over an very important beach) but alas, if its not Europe then people moan...
*shrug*

Upvote 0
Which was butchered, really ****ing butchered
Yea, but I'm not bothered by it. Back in the day I enjoyed playing as the greeks in Rome TW because I saw 300.

Now it may seem like I am picking on you but I am not, its just that that you like the things that I was glad that Shogun 2 got rid of...
:p
I didn't think you were picking on me :p tastes differ.

Upvote 0