• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Total War series

Nah, it's definitely my standards that have risen.

The early Total War games were super realistic by virtue of not being Warcraft II clones but following the Total War formula alone. That's just not enough for me anymore.

I think their standards should rise too, but to be fair, I think they have and if this wasn't Rome but any other era I probably wouldn't be this picky either.

Upvote 0
As an avid Total War gamer myself, I am kind of surprised at the responses here. What exactly puts you off the games Murphy? I guess I am just kind of surprised because it is still tactically/strategically head and shoulders above say Dawn of War or C&C, imho.

I know what you mean about the AI, but otherwise I have found the games wholly satisfying. I have to admit though, I have not had the chance to play them all as in depth as I would like, having a lot of time constraints.

Upvote 0
I don't play them in a way that would let me exhaust their tactical or strategic potential either.

I guess I'm just a terrible general on the tactical maps and the tactics that make sense to me only yield marginal results but the tactics where, for example, I'm just spamming things to death with a few ballistas as I inch them forward slowly and my opponent slowly inches away from them are very effective. Takes forever because I don't hit **** at these ranges but they cave eventually and when I'm out of ammo I chase the rest of them down with cavalry. Even spear units because softened up enough they're easy to route and not a threat. Doesn't feel good.

Sieges, where I would hope for some clever tactics, boil down to endlessly watching completely stuck units very very very slowly whittle each-other down until the way to the village square opens up and that artificial "hold this for five minutes and the city is yours" nonsense starts.

I just don't enjoy any of this as much as, say, a skirmish in Kingdom Under Fire for the old xbox.

But I still have to fight manually because I don't want to get screwed over by the autoresolve.

The strategic map is a lot more fun to me. Don't get me wrong, I love that the tactical battles are there! It adds a lot to the game, obviously, I just don't like them as much as I would hope I would.
But I'm even a little fed up of the strategic map because Civ IV spoiled me. I just like that game a lot more.

Not saying the Total War games are bad. Especially the new ones, because I haven't played one for any length of time since Medieval 2. Just, eh, not for me, I guess.

I'd love to go sight-seeing in Rome 2, however! Doesn't seem like I'd be able to though.

Upvote 0
You know what, that makes perfect sense. Ive had tha feeling sometimes when it comes to the tactical battles. It came down to me just stretching my units out in a long line and encircling everything in one go. Never got me down terribly though, i also do have my TW games heavily modded though so they are not usually the stock AI.

The strategic map you are totally right, Civ IV is far superior, and i love it for that. Though I have to say it gets a little better in the later editions such as shogun 2. Nowhere to Civs depth though.

I guess the main draw of the games for me is the epicness. Its not always tactically intricate, but I love watching that first Carthaginian elephant go down to my ballistas, or my ashigaru facing off against a samurai charge. Those are the things I miss in the Civ games.

Funny story, i won a siege once with about 300 guys vs 2000+ Carthaginians because i killed a few elephants with my ballistas and the rest rampaged back along the steets killing all their troops lined up behind them, just bodies flying everywhere.

Upvote 0
I just put up another Napoleon Total War video, featuring the excellent Darthmod, as always. This one features the 40-unit battles feature, which basically doubles Darthmod's already massive battle sizes. This battle featured well over 20,000 troops on the screen at the same time (no off-map reinforcements):

Napoleon Total War: 40-UNITS, 20,000+ MEN, and GLORIOUS MAYHEM! - YouTube

And in case you missed my first two vids with the game, be sure the check them out too...

Napoleon Total War: Trolling Natrolleon - YouTube

Napoleon: Total War - FOUR ARMIES CLASH! - YouTube

Upvote 0
Dayum. 40k soldiers in the same battle? I can barely handle 4k soldiers on medium graphics :D

Awesome vids :IS2:

I remember once having 17k soldier siege battle in Shogun 2. Let's just say it was quite a cluster**** to behold, because I was the one trying to defend against that 14k force. :p

Before that I once had 13k battle on the field in ETW that I managed to win thanks to AI's random brainfarts while it had around 2.5:1 total manpower advatange and I had only two artillery batteries.

Upvote 0
Dayum. 40k soldiers in the same battle? I can barely handle 4k soldiers on medium graphics :D

Awesome vids :IS2:
Not 40k. More like 25,000 total (between both armies) on-screen at once in that new video I posted. Vanilla Darthmod (without 40-unit battles) typically will have between 10k-12k soldiers on the screen at once with its increased unit sizes. Then when you double the amount of regiments/units you're allowed to have (40-unit saves), it essentially doubles it :D Which is what you see in that new video.

The other two videos are not using the 40-unit battle options, and feature between 10k-12k soldiers on screen at once (though there were more involved in the battle than that because of off-map reinforcements).

Thanks for the compliments!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

I really hope this does not come true. It would be a real shame as Darth makes the best RTSs I've ever played. I mean, i like TW games on their own merits but DarthMod vs. vanilla are two completely different games.

Also, and this is what I gathered from reading those posts, it seems the company is talking smack about him and his mods. This kind of disrespect disgusts me. As a developer, it is their duty to learn from Darth, rather than bash him. Maybe not "duty", but devs want to make a better product no? It seems like in this day and age it is becoming more commonplace for game companies to try and tell us what we want, rather than cater to our interests. And to see the TW devs do the same is truly shameful, as they have consistently(with Darth's help of course) produced some of the best games I have played in this last decade.

In light of this, if Darth feels like retiring, as sad as I will be I will support his decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Playing as the Russian faction, it seems Darthmod adds absolutely nothing to Napoleon. But I look at the French and they have nearly a hundred custom units! I think LME 3 is more balanced, as far as content is concerned.

I like DM Empire though, but I think it's had more time to develop.

That reminds me how overpopulated Sweden was in DMUC. Not only you had Drabants as they are in ETW, but you also had Hans Kunliga Majest

Upvote 0
Playing as the Russian faction, it seems Darthmod adds absolutely nothing to Napoleon. But I look at the French and they have nearly a hundred custom units! I think LME 3 is more balanced, as far as content is concerned.

I like DM Empire though, but I think it's had more time to develop.
It is lacking in a balance of new units, but by far the main reason I play DMN is for the drastic gameplay differences, better effects/sounds, better AI (within CA's limitations), and of course, a ton more units on screen.

Upvote 0