• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Those 12 year old players..

I have to say that I have played quite a few Online games, and this one is certainly one of the more unfriendly games. I'd say about 50-70% of the games you join has at least one TK'er, or some sort of abuse breaks out.
I guess I should join a squad or something to avoid the public servers but it seems a shame that there are so many people out there happy to ruin every one elses game.

Upvote 0
I have to say that I have played quite a few Online games, and this one is certainly one of the more unfriendly games. I'd say about 50-70% of the games you join has at least one TK'er, or some sort of abuse breaks out.
I guess I should join a squad or something to avoid the public servers but it seems a shame that there are so many people out there happy to ruin every one elses game.

I have found the opposite. I find this game has some of the most mature servers and core group of players than any other FPS game I've ever played.

I think when there is a deliberate TK'er here it stands out more however, and more attention is drawn to it because the abusive/immature player/TK'ers are not generally a regular part of this game. In other games it's so common that it goes unnoticed and nobody pays attention to the constant messages coming up slinging abuse all over the place and the "WTF" every time a TK happens.

In RO accidental TK's happen a lot more often than other games, most TK's are accidents and most players realize that and are forgiving. You said 50 to 70 percent of the games you join have some sort of TK'er. Well, I'd say it's 100 percent of the rounds/servers you join, you will see TK's and again, 95 percent of them will be accidental, just part of the gameplay in a game like this.

It's the immature players who make a big deal out of every TK and the equally immature players who TK in "revenge" or just plain act like idiots and TK all over the place, talk abusively and generally act like kids (even though they may be 25). Luckily in RO, there are a LOT less of those immature players compared to other games.

Upvote 0

it is not possible to generalize this way. I have good experience with RO public games regarding "TK topic". I would say that this game still face new players starting to play (= more TKs) and new or veteran in game you will still do TKs from time to time (it happens to me quite often - bad luck we call it). So take it more easy... intentional TKer are not so often imo (or do I play only good servers?:))

Upvote 0
Damned Immature Brats!

Damned Immature Brats!

OK, so I was playing on a server that was running an Odessa map, I was the German sniper, I was in position and I was hard at work firing at the Russians when some immature teammate of mine bayonets me right in the back just because he wants my sniper rifle. I ended up going back up to that spot with my Luger and shooting him the the back of the head for being such an idiot.

Anyone else had something like this happen before?

Upvote 0
I have found the opposite. I find this game has some of the most mature servers and core group of players than any other FPS game I've ever played.

I think when there is a deliberate TK'er here it stands out more however, and more attention is drawn to it because the abusive/immature player/TK'ers are not generally a regular part of this game. In other games it's so common that it goes unnoticed and nobody pays attention to the constant messages coming up slinging abuse all over the place and the "WTF" every time a TK happens.

In RO accidental TK's happen a lot more often than other games, most TK's are accidents and most players realize that and are forgiving. You said 50 to 70 percent of the games you join have some sort of TK'er. Well, I'd say it's 100 percent of the rounds/servers you join, you will see TK's and again, 95 percent of them will be accidental, just part of the gameplay in a game like this.

It's the immature players who make a big deal out of every TK and the equally immature players who TK in "revenge" or just plain act like idiots and TK all over the place, talk abusively and generally act like kids (even though they may be 25). Luckily in RO, there are a LOT less of those immature players compared to other games.

I suppose that is a fair assesment, I wrote my original post after being on a couple of bad servers and having put up with a few idiots.
I accept that TK's happen occasionally and I try and treat people the way I would like to be treated.

Upvote 0
Ok hands up here those who seem to find a lot of immature children who says things like "******" "n00b" "**** you" because you did the unthinkable in their eyes and killed them.

For example today I was playing Soviet anti-tanker and was confronted by a German and so since I'm not equiped to fight troops, I throw my grenades and kill the guy named Surly_Jew or something and his response is "******" and I of course asked why he said that and he went on about grenades are for "n00bs" and they should be removed etc...

Now this went on through the entire game and it wasn't just him either. There must have been about three of these guys like him going on and on about only "n3wbs" go Soviet or 'Newbs" throw grenades.

Anyone here get what I mean? Anyone seeing an increase of angst morons who seem to think they're better than everyone else.

**ends rant**

I've seen a whole lot of these idiots online lately. The other day, after I shot a guy in the head during a firefight, he got all pissed off and started about how it was a "lucky shot", etc.

And there's nothing wrong with killing somebody by throwing a grenade at your feet right before you die. It's a last ditch effort that you don't always have time to do, but if I know for certain that I'm going to die, you're damned straight that I'm going to do everything I can to take down the SOB that kills me and as many of his teammates as possible down with me. That's combat, that's the name of the game. If you don't like it, then you shouldn't be playing first person shooters.

Upvote 0
In my experience so far, it seems that every now and then you'll encounter a TK'er and get mad for having your gaming night ruined on a particular favored server- but the good side of it is that pretty quickly they will get the message that chronic, deliberate TK'ing is not condoned and will either wander off to another game permanently or change their ways and join the grown-ups at the big table.

As I've said before, RO to me is a community made up, for the most part, of decent and mature players; that's one reason I enjoy the game so much despite the little inconsistencies here and there. It's up to us to keep our gaming community policed and bring those wayward ones into the fold or show them the door.

Upvote 0
What forums do you and other old-timey ROers frequent RedStorm? I've been trying to find the oldies like Pyckuu, Kevb0, MP-38, and Smiley.

The problem with RO is that there is such an air of elitism it must be hard for some people to even walk through the streets of RO without their heads hitting either side of the map border. All the people thinking they're some kind of special super-gamer for playing a 'realism' game and telling all the new people to sod off if they don't like it, those are the childish people.

Just a quick prod back to the real world, RO is not a realism game at all. It's a shooter with a few realistic aspects. There's atleast ten games (even shooters) out there that are infinitely more realistic than RO.

Most old-timers who played 1.0 have now left and went to other games and still we get people who find themselves 'uber-experienced' because they've played since 3.1 or whatever and feel the need to laugh at new people or tell them off or just be plain annoying/rude.

I stopped playing RO a long time ago after having played it since the first beta in 2003 or so, yet sometimes I pass by these forums and just have to reply to some of the threads in here. Get a grip people! If you guys ever want this game to grow, be friendly towards other gamers and lose the elitist attitude. There is a reason this game is attracting a lot of new players. It is promoting to a wider market and incorporating more of a 'fun over realism' attitude. This attracts a different kind of gamer, who will be good players in a year or so. Just give them some time to adapt. Most of you wouldn't be here spouting off if all the veterans from 1.0 or 2.1 would've been telling you off for your (then) stupidity.

Upvote 0
I started playing on june 2006 and I have never been treated badly by anyone. I had once heard about RedOrchestra mod, but never knew anyone who played it. Then I found a review of Ostfront from game magazine and decided to try it. And it was the game I had allways been waiting for.

I was a green player and then I learned to play. It`s just up to you and no one else. It is your own attitude what is the most important thing. Never be afraid of asking and you will be answered. If you are asshat, people treat you like one.

And 95 % of people I have met on servers (I have obviously been very, very lucky:) ) and the same or more percentage of people on this forum have been nice people.

Here people just care about this game maybe more than others and are not afraid to say it. I think it is a wonderful thing.

And in my opinion it is not elitism.

Upvote 0
I dont see much elitism either, and when i do see it every now and then, it comes from green players themselves.. people who have only just overcome the learning curve and figured out how to play are usually the ones who will rip into newbies.
Long time players have a longer fuse, most people will infact help newbies, for a while.. say the first 2 or 3 newbies they encounter on a night, but if you get too many newbies, and especially the ones who ask stupid questions they could have found the answers to themselves (like the ever popular "what are my controls?.. set them up yourself you.. grrr), then patience starts to run dry.

Personally i just start to ignore them when it gets too much, others.. well, they let the frustration get the better of them.

Thats what im seeing out there, when i do see "newbie abuse", it comes from other green players (who themselves are not doing so well, at the bottom of the score list), or vets who have been pushed a bridge too far that night.

Upvote 0
In my experience, I noticed that the aged 12 - 16 group are the ones who are saying "EVEN THE F***ING TEAMS" and swearing for no reason. I find a lot of them to talk smack, and be some of the worst shots I have ever seen, and I am on dial up. You look at the project guys, or the {CoreNA} guys, they just mess around, have fun, and they are some of the best I have ever seen. I have not ONCE seen/heard them yell/scream profanity at someone over something as little as a grenade thrown at someone's feet. I find that a lot of younger players think they are God's gift to the FPS world, but really... are nothing more than average nobodies.

You think you're good kids? Go find {CoreNA} or project.twilight. They're more mature, and 90% certain -- to be better than you. Give up, there are people better than you, and there always will be someone who is a step ahead of you in any direction, when you grow up, you'll come to terms with it.

Upvote 0
I'm not an elitist, I'm just better than you!

But seriously, I've only seen maybe one or two people who REALLY seemed pissed at the whole world in RO. I like that. There are a lot of people who are opinionated, sure, but ultimately they're nice people. It's kinda like the world outside of the screen in that way. Funny, that!

Most internet forums are kind of like a crazy club. You've got people running around left and right, too many people there to spot someone you know, and enough people around that some decide they don't have to be responsible for their actions and they do whatever the hell they want.

The RO forums are more like a lounge. You picture everyone sitting around in some comfy chairs having a drink and telling stupid inside jokes and having sporadic semi-serious conversations full of factoids and half-truths. The new guy who walks into the lounge might have to try a little harder to 'break in', but once they do it's all gravy.

Upvote 0
The RO forums are more like a lounge. You picture everyone sitting around in some comfy chairs having a drink and telling stupid inside jokes and having sporadic semi-serious conversations full of factoids and half-truths. The new guy who walks into the lounge might have to try a little harder to 'break in', but once they do it's all gravy.

Haha.

That's why I love these forums. :D

Upvote 0
Calm Down!!!

Calm Down!!!

Those squeaky voices aren't that bad!!! Just be patient. I once spent an entire hour training a six-year old with voice to play on Arad. After the initial confusion, we kicked ***!!! It was beautiful, and Both he and I are now better players because I took the time to look past the voice, and into the heart. (Sorry for the Cheesy speech) ;)

Upvote 0