• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The RO2 "Work In Progress" Video/Image Thread - All Welcome!

Looks super cool Cat.

What did you do to get the extra 10?

I added a CullDistanceVolume around the entire level and adjusted the cull distances for the meshes. One thing, though, it created quite a bit of "pop", where houses, etc... appear out of nowhere so clearly I need to mess with it some more. Here are the cull distances I used (taken from the Unreal site):

Distance 0: 256; 4096
Distance 1: 512; 8192
Distance 2: 1024; 16384
Distance 3: 2048; 0

I also looked at the stock maps to see how cull distances were used there but I don't understand enough about them yet to know why sometimes a volume is used on a whole level and other times they are used on individual objects.

BTW, when I changed the cull cistances to the point where "pop" stopped happening, I was right back at the frame rate I started with. I have more to say about this but I gotta get to work, I'll finish this thiought when I get there.

Upvote 0
In the attached picture you can see the distance in UU's between selected features. Since I'm modelling a village on the steppe, the terrain is very flat and there are very long lines of sight which require large cull distances to stop objects from "popping" into view. The popping creates 2 problems: 1- it just looks bad when things pop up and 2- it reveals spawn locations and opens them to enemy fire. The problem is exacerbated when playing as a tank commander and you look through the scope or binoculars.

Now, I'm sure there is a way to wiggle cull distances to make this all work but I have no idea how to approach this problem. I know you can put culldistancevolumes around individual objects but I wonder if changing LOD's for the static meshes wouldn't be a better idea. I looked at the properties for Village House 2 (the square one) this morning and I saw that there are 2 LOD's for it but I don't know if the low res. LOD is enabled by default or if you have to enable it yourself.

Any advice, anyone?

Upvote 0
Let's try this again:
zapadnovkadistances1.png

Upvote 0
Now, I'm sure there is a way to wiggle cull distances to make this all work but I have no idea how to approach this problem. I know you can put culldistancevolumes around individual objects but I wonder if changing

Any advice, anyone?

You can give a max culldistance to an individual mesh. But a beter advice is that you should give yourself the artistic freedom to add some heightdifference in the terrain. Then you could win more without to much work.

You should prepare yourself to some real critics as i'm convince there will be some players who claim they have been to Zapatblabla and will blame you for historical in accuraccy and will ignore playing it as it lacks realism. But so be it.

Upvote 0
You can give a max culldistance to an individual mesh. But a beter advice is that you should give yourself the artistic freedom to add some heightdifference in the terrain. Then you could win more without to much work.

You should prepare yourself to some real critics as i'm convince there will be some players who claim they have been to Zapatblabla and will blame you for historical in accuraccy and will ignore playing it as it lacks realism. But so be it.

I'm totally ready for the bolt counters. So much so that I think I'm calling the map TE-Zapadnovk-ish from now on :D

Upvote 0

Might have just done something that worked. I set the MassiveLODDistance of each Village House static mesh to 4000 and it really improved things a lot. The MassiveLODDistance sets the max distance for showing the high res. model and anything past that shows the low res. model. Now, after I get past the first treeline fps goes from about 32 up to over 50 once you get into the guts of the village. I'm going to do the fences, too and see if I can get a few more frames.

Upvote 0