• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Team Fortress 2!

Oh, now that's not fair. DoD: Source was much worse. :p

Seriously though, I don't mind it. It IS a mindless twitch fest and doesn't pretend to be anything else (unlike most games these days). I can handle that. I also find it more entertaining that WolfET. ET is incredibly frustrating, but TF2 isn't near as bad (to me at any rate). I do intensely dislike the "crit" mechanic though. That sort of thing belongs in a dice-rolling RPG, not in a skill based shooter. Random elements should never exist in skill based, competitive games.

Upvote 0
Oh, now that's not fair. DoD: Source was much worse. :p

Seriously though, I don't mind it. It IS a mindless twitch fest and doesn't pretend to be anything else (unlike most games these days). I can handle that. I also find it more entertaining that WolfET. ET is incredibly frustrating, but TF2 isn't near as bad (to me at any rate). I do intensely dislike the "crit" mechanic though. That sort of thing belongs in a dice-rolling RPG, not in a skill based shooter. Random elements should never exist in skill based, competitive games.
DoD:S is not that bad. Sure it's notihng like DoD 1.3 but personally I can't wait for the next update which will be out within the next two months(cof fix, new map, etc)

Upvote 0
Come on Blitz, be reasonable. Large maps= snipers domination. You can't change one aspect of a game that for 7-8 years has been carefuly balanced. You take one brick and everything crumbles. Im not saying it's perfectly balanced but larger maps is not some subtle, minor change.

I cant blame you if your'e not having fun- I myself get tired of it from time to time- but if it had RO size maps would it be more fun? Come on.

As for engies- I came to a conclusion that the game is aiming for engies teamwork. A lone engie is useless- true, but 3-4 of them working together, placing their sentries in keypoints to cover each other (or the opposite- huddled together) are almost invincible. It's also very hard for a spy to tackle a group of them.
Beefing them up would result in twice as stalemates/defenders victories.

Upvote 0
Come on Blitz, be reasonable. Large maps= snipers domination. You can't change one aspect of a game that for 7-8 years has been carefuly balanced. You take one brick and everything crumbles. Im not saying it's perfectly balanced but larger maps is not some subtle, minor change.

I guess you never played TFC then, it had some considderably larger maps, but not open maps, they had several cloused off paths, some would let you bypass snipers compleately, but they where longer and slower, others you had to contend with snipers only at the last sprint twords the enemy base.

They where good fun too, had some tactical depth about them that smaller maps didn't, and snipers didn't own on them like they did in smallish open maps like 2forts.

Most of TF2's maps are actually bigger sniper fests than the big TFC maps.

Upvote 0
Maybe not snipers domination but a whole other set of problems would emerge.
There are a few remakes of TFC classics as custom maps. I didnt like them much and I hardly even see them anymore so I guess no one did.

It doesnt matter what worked in TFC, this is a new game , built on a different concept and different gameplay. You have every right not to like it but you can't really expect that what worked in the older game can be imported as it is to the new one.

Upvote 0
Remember that TFC had slightly different sniper mechanics, as well as different weapon loadouts and stats. Certainly there were some large-ish areas, but they were always complemented with tight, indoor sections and rarely were you forced to run the sniper gauntlet, with alternatives usually available.

Basically, the way they've designed TF means that they would literally break the game if they tried to change anything. But that's ok, this isn't TFC and it's not meant to be. I must say though, the lack of maps is really frustrating. I didn't really care about DoD's lack of maps since I can't stand the Source version, but TF's got even less and it doesn't seem like they're really putting much effort into any new ones (Goldrush is good fun, but it's really just a recycled Gravelpit and it's taken THIS long to release).

I wonder if they'll ever actually finish their retrofitting of the TF2 classes (they're risking serious balancing issues a la WoW by doing them one at a time) or if people will stop caring long before they finish. Certainly their attentions will now be focused on Ep 3 and whatever bits and pieces they plan to ship with that.

Upvote 0
New heavy update comming next Tuesday, includes the usual new unlocks and achievments for the heavy as well as 7 new maps, one new 'goldrush' type map, a user made attack/defense control point map (cp_steel) and 5 new maps with a new game type.

Theyve revealed the first unlock for the heavy, the awesomely named 'Killing Gloves of Boxing', and the achievement names are filled with the cheesiest of puns such as 'stalin the cart' and 'gorky parked' :rolleyes:

Upvote 0