• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tanking; and 'one-man-tanking' in ROHOS - hopefully with a POLL

Tanking; and 'one-man-tanking' in ROHOS - hopefully with a POLL

• One-man tank is unrealistic and should made impossible.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • One-man tank is too much fun to remove, it also requires skill.

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • The changing of tank roles should be slowed. Or some other way to give a tank-TEAM an advantage

Votes: 62 51.2%
  • One-man tanking should be possible in Relaxed Realism mode, and not/nerfed in Full Realism mode

Votes: 18 14.9%

• Total voters
Voted 3 for me. But that was easy since I've suggested before that they make animations for switching positions inside a tank. It'd slow it down and make it feel like you were actually moving throughout a tank, also it'd be an awesome animations sequence that I'd never get tired of :)

BTW, I think part of the problem, to put it bluntly, is that the driver position is really boring. Especially since in mixed maps tanks tend to sit on a good possition gunning people down and the driver just has to sit there for long periods of time doing nothing. Even with a huge points advantage from all of the kills, it's still not worth it to most people.

Also with the improved squad commands they need to make tank commands more fluid. It's far quicker for me to type "boggie at 3" than it is to go through all of options to say that in voice commands. Maybe something where I could click where I am talking about to alert comrads to an enemy would be nice.

Upvote 0
Its a tough choice, I enjoy tanking alone as some people have no idea but on the other hand I love the way a good crew can work together so I belive that the crew should have a advantage over a single tanker slow down the position changing and reload time this way it will encourage team tanking. I dont mind driving either as your responsible for keeping the tank hull down as to not present a high profile target.
OB3R

Upvote 0
I'd like to see RO take that step and make one man tanking completely impossible.

I'm confident that if people are determined enough, they will learn to cooperate and pilot tanks together. Armor should be a powerful and dangerous tool, not something any Joe can just jump into and putt around the battlefield with.

Of course this mindset goes along with my preference that HOS doesn't feature tank-only maps where everyone likes to be the commander. I'd like to see maps where a maximum of 4 tanks work alongside their infantry support to win, not just DM each other until the timer runs down.

Upvote 0
BTW, I think part of the problem, to put it bluntly, is that the driver position is really boring. Especially since in mixed maps tanks tend to sit on a good possition gunning people down and the driver just has to sit there for long periods of time doing nothing. Even with a huge points advantage from all of the kills, it's still not worth it to most people.

Not true

A good driver doesnt just sit there doing nothing ;)

A good driver studies the battlefied and makes sure the tank is angled perfectly in all situations! Dont forget it

Reactions: Private Who?
Upvote 0
D3terioNation - Sure, I'll give you that. I mean, it's not like they leave their computer or anything. And if you have a good driver then it can really save your *** sometimes. I think though that most people don't think it's worth it. I've been in tanks with another person to see a player hop in, only to hop out when he sees he has to be the driver. I'm not saying it's a useless possition, just pretty boring to the average player.

Reise - Personally I'm against making a one man tank crew impossible simply because it's not impossible in real life. One person could crew a tank by themselves; it wouldn't be Rambo, it'd be extremely difficult for sure. But I imagine that someone could do it just by crawling to the differen't possitions in the tank.

Reactions: Private Who?
Upvote 0
And if you have a good driver then it can really save your *** sometimes.

When I team tank with my friend ChrisT, I'm always the driver, and he always is the main gunner/commander. We work best that way, and I like driving. I like being able to switch to MG and fending off the infantry. That's what a having a driver really lets you do. You get an extra set of eyes to look out for infantry with satchels and 'fausts. But I'd still be way opposed to eliminating single player tanking altogether.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see RO take that step and make one man tanking completely impossible.

I'm confident that if people are determined enough, they will learn to cooperate and pilot tanks together. Armor should be a powerful and dangerous tool, not something any Joe can just jump into and putt around the battlefield with.

Of course this mindset goes along with my preference that HOS doesn't feature tank-only maps where everyone likes to be the commander. I'd like to see maps where a maximum of 4 tanks work alongside their infantry support to win, not just DM each other until the timer runs down.

Unfortunately that might not work. You may have issues of the odd man waiting in the spawn are for another tanker to show up (and never does), what if one of the tankers looses connection or quites the server and you are alone in a tank, what if a uncooperative player jumps out of a tank and strands the serious player in the tank unable to use it and so on and so on. It just doesn't seem practical...

Upvote 0
Unfortunately that might not work. You may have issues of the odd man waiting in the spawn are for another tanker to show up (and never does), what if one of the tankers looses connection or quites the server and you are alone in a tank, what if a uncooperative player jumps out of a tank and strands the serious player in the tank unable to use it and so on and so on. It just doesn't seem practical...
I think tankers should be not be allowed to leave the tank, unless they are burning or get the tank disabled. I think an AFK player in the tank away for a certain amount of time should be booted out of the tank class and be replaced by a bot.

Upvote 0
I think it's crazy people pick option 2 to support something so unrealistic and inpractical in a realism game like RO. It just shows that if you have something long enough in a game, realistic or unrealistic, people don't want to get rid of it.

I voted for 2. The word is impractical...which it is most certainly not. RO is a game, but I'd argue it is not a 'realism' game. It is not even a moderately close approximation of warfare. But it's a super game. To me, driving off by yourself puts you at a DISadvantage compared to team tanking. Staying alive with only one person in a tank CAN be more difficult, especially in the tighter combined arms maps like Arad and Ogledow.

If you think that single player tanking is bad in RO, I'd suggest you try a little game called Call of Duty: United Offensive. Then go back to the tanks in RO, and see the difference. To me the difference is this: RO attempts to place some element of realistic (as opposed to realism or reality) armored warfare in a game based on capturing zones on a map, which are projected on your screen as tiny colored pixels. I think, for all its shortcomings, RO does the best job of any FPS so far.

Upvote 0

It doesn't, but if tanks were made more important, like if they were required to pass certain map objectives, people would make the effort.

I know it's a tall order, but I think it would lead to a more wholesome experience.

Upvote 0
This is about when, especially in maps like Arad and Orel, (if thats the huge tank map i'm thinking of) single players drive off in a tank and perform gunner, driver and even MG roles all on their own.

There usually isn't much disadvantage to this tactic, and it's annoying to have your whole tank team of two or three men killed by one guy.

So here's a poll for the devs to jot notes from.

I have to disagree with this, just because one person kills a multi-player tank (or SPG, etc.) the one person now has to be hindered as the other players do not like it?

Come on, thus, are we going to now hinder giving really good snipers with bolt rifles only, yeah he is to good a sniper so auto-rifles he can not have, please. What about the Machine Gunner (MG) class in RO hardly anyone gives him ammo in the games I have noticed, although I always try to give the MG person ammo, are we going to force all players to have to give ammo to the MG players? Why not, by do so it helps the team and helps the player who gives the ammo, as the MG guy is a very important part of the team.

I understand you mean well and I am not trying to be mean to your idea, but I think there is a different way than what you have purposed here.

As I do not mind sharing a tank with a player who knows something about the tanks and tank combat/tactics, and lord knows there are many on RO, and it's mods DH, MN, CC, and AB who know about tanks.

However, I always have people in the tank that I tried to share with, who shoot and kill team mates and/or do not want to listen or work with me and/or who seem to know very little about tanks. Thus, that is why I go alone in the tank when I play.

If in the new RO:HOS that players have to be trained (like in the real war) before going out in combat, and by trained I do mean they have to go for weeks to base or something, I mean if they can get certain easy Achievements regarding tanks. Then others and I would know that the other player(s) in the tank have some idea on how to use a tank and work in the tank. Maybe this obtaining the certain tank achievements could have there name in Red, blue, etc. or *** 3 stars in front of the name, or something to show for the persons efforts re tanks.

For example, if I am the commander of a tank in any RO game I tell the other player to get Hull Down, most do not understand this. This in the middle of a tank battle I having to trying to tell (or train if you will) them how to do this move, while trying shoot at the enemy and we get kill before we finishing the move maybe. We re-spawn they happen to get in another tank or someone else gets in the tank I have jump in.
Thus, I have wasted the time tell them about Hull Down, they most likely do not recall what I have told them and they get no practice to do this move. This leads me to want to play in a tank on my own.
If anyone knows of the Army that puts people in a tank with no training, love to know this and to this check it out.
Yes, this is a game and it is for fun, but it is no fun getting killed every time because others do not know what they are doing and you know if you used the tank on your own you would do a lot better.
Just like who wants to play a game if your team keep loosing each and every game. Frankly, I have been on teams in a RO like that, I always stay with such a team, but it is no fun loosing every game. And the teams I have been on at those times have been with a lot of new people and/or against really good players and/or the other teams had there act together. Why I have seen new and good players leave or switch sides from such a loosing team in RO, because the team was so bad and loosing all the games we played.

I want to play RO:HOS, but to be honest, if I am going to be force to share tank I might as well not play RO:HOS and I would tell others not to play it as well. The one good thing about RO is the tanks (which are not perfect by any means), but they are a lot better than tanks that are in COD:WAW (after buying this COD game, I will never buy another COD game as the tanks were way off and bad).

Best regards,

sdkfz181

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what if there were no tanks at all?
have they been announced? - (sincere question)
this may all be irrelevant

I here what you are saying, and for me no tanks I would not play it at all.

Actually, I am think of waiting until someone tells me there is or are tanks in the game before I get RO:HOS.

However, in the new screen shot that was put out recently I notice a tank in the back ground, but I do not know if it is a working tank or abandon tank. I guess we have to wait and see.

Best Regards,

sdkfz181

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I want to play RO:HOS, but to be honest, if I am going to be force to share tank I might as well not play RO:HOS and I would tell others not to play it as well.

what if there were no tanks at all?
have they been announced? - (sincere question)
this may all be irrelevant
said i voted but didn't - would have voted 1 possibly 3 based on Tanks being used, if at all, in small numbers on CA maps.
however prob there is if playercount is low

Upvote 0

Talk about drawing the line between realism and fun :eek:.

Any number besides a full crew is just as arbitrary as the next number.

Solo tanking should not be taken out, but should contain some hindrance for quick switching. No need for any additional advantage to team-tanking, as a capable crew can be very effective.

Obviously the crew that works well together will have the advantage. :p

Upvote 0
entering/getting out of a tank shouldn't be a 1-2 sec thingy anymore. I don't want to get PPSh'd by a Russian tanker who gets out of the tank in no time while I'm using my Panzefaust on his tank.
Swichting positions should take quite some time, although I'd appreciate animations for crawling through the tank to the different positions, I'm not sure if they get them in. Still I don't want to have a single-manned-tank spot me and the driver can switch to main gun in 1 sec.

Btw I'd like to have the chance to survive tanks driving over me. Some like the t-34 had enough distance from the body to the ground so a man could lye there and the tank wouldn't crush him, only the treads can kill.

Upvote 0
Single manned tanks can be thought of as a well coordinated, fully crewed tank with whatever role assumed by the player to be thought of as simply another perspective (another member of the crew). The idea of a single crewmember whether teleporting or climbing around inside of the tank is absurd. I furthermore feel that these additional simulated crew members should be factored in to the damage model and if a penetration causes a projectile to pass through one of these simulated crewmembers then their position should be denied to the player unless another one is moved in to that position.

This is a great idea. However, picking tanks/bailing out of tanks might have to work differently, since you are no longer a single tank crewman, but the entire tank itself.

Instead of hopping into a tank at your designated tank spawn, one might select a type of tank the same way one selects an infantry class. There could be a button that allows teammates to fill crew positions in your tank if you want to team tank. Then, you (the entire tank) spawns at the appropriate location when the reinforcement timer (which probably should be longer for tanks) reaches zero.

As for bailing out of your tank, the issue would be the fact that you represent more than one person. How do you deal with exiting the tank, or should this simply not be possible?

Last edited:
Upvote 0