• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tanking; and 'one-man-tanking' in ROHOS - hopefully with a POLL

Tanking; and 'one-man-tanking' in ROHOS - hopefully with a POLL

• One-man tank is unrealistic and should made impossible.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • One-man tank is too much fun to remove, it also requires skill.

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • The changing of tank roles should be slowed. Or some other way to give a tank-TEAM an advantage

Votes: 62 51.2%
  • One-man tanking should be possible in Relaxed Realism mode, and not/nerfed in Full Realism mode

Votes: 18 14.9%

• Total voters

Calumhm

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2009
Plymouth, England
This is about when, especially in maps like Arad and Orel, (if thats the huge tank map i'm thinking of) single players drive off in a tank and perform gunner, driver and even MG roles all on their own.

There usually isn't much disadvantage to this tactic, and it's annoying to have your whole tank team of two or three men killed by one guy.

So here's a poll for the devs to jot notes from.

1-man-tank is not realistic, clear. but so many ppl just dont have a clue how to drive or shoot or coordinate in a tank together (speaking about public)
therefore i avoid being in a tank with other players on a public server

but my point of view is that this question is not the most important about tanking in RO.
the problems about the tanks in OST are known, i hope at least.

Upvote 0
Also, I'm sure a lot of people know about it; but when you one-man-tank you can keep switching in and out of gunner position to make the game automatically load the next shell without you actually staying in the gunner seat.

Presumably this is just a bug, and won't be there in RO:HOS anyway, which will make it a little more difficult to one-man-tank

Upvote 0
mine was a toss-up between the 2nd and 3rd options. I don't think single-player tanking should be eliminated. That would make it too hard to start tanking servers. Say you had ten guys....that's 5v5. If you have a two crew minimum before your tank would move, it becomes a 3v2 game with less action, at least until the server starts to fill more. And even then you will have fewer targets to shoot at.

I don't mind tanking by myself, and I don't even mind someone hopping in with me if they would just listen. Sometimes they do. Mostly I try to drive off by myself, but that's just due to the fact that most pubbers (including myself on occasion :eek: ) are idiots when it comes to communication in a tank.

That said, it is definitely a better experience when you have a two man crew really working together. [TxM] ChrisT and I used to make a pretty good team, with him as commander and me as driver/MG. It's best though when we can get in Teamspeak and use that as our 'local' comms channel.

Upvote 0
The changing of tank roles should be slowed. Or some other way to give a tank-TEAM an advantage

Option number 3# is most fair. Tank operated by 2-3 players should have faster reload time/could drive and shoot in same time/etc*. Team play should be the most important thing in RO:HoS.

I really hate Bad Company 2/Modern Warfare 2 point of view where one guy can operate tank, plant bomb and win whole match by self. But well, these game are for console casual players, RO:HoS is for fps PC players only.

*) all based on historical data, not super 1337 perks like reduce rld time to 50%, boost damage to 125% etc.

Upvote 0
i would even go further and say you should be able to lock your tank, so no other Teammate can get in.

--> team tanking is almost impossible on public server(most people lag skill or better said knowledge how to angle ect.)
--> only chance to get good tankteamplay is with VOIP.

dont get me wrong... i would welcome a 3manOnly tank system but only with a proper solution to report enemies (as driver/mg to the gunner,and vice versa) and offline "enemy spotting and reporting" and "and how to play tanks" Trainings which are required to play tanks online ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Single manned tanks can be thought of as a well coordinated, fully crewed tank with whatever role assumed by the player to be thought of as simply another perspective (another member of the crew). The idea of a single crewmember whether teleporting or climbing around inside of the tank is absurd. I furthermore feel that these additional simulated crew members should be factored in to the damage model and if a penetration causes a projectile to pass through one of these simulated crewmembers then their position should be denied to the player unless another one is moved in to that position.

Upvote 0
Singlehanded tanking should be possible. However 2, 1 man tanks should not be better than a 2 man tank. So i would prefer some balancing, to make switching position go with some animation/time delay (either moving around in a tank or looking through the eyes of another tanker in the tank).

So that its possible to tank alone, however that if you tank with 2 people you get some sort of a worthwhile advantage. Currently the only advantage with 2 people is the faster reload time (which is exploitable as a 1 man tanker) and that you can move your gun while driving. Beside that the engine keeps running if your driver doesnt go to the mg slot making aiming actually harder with a 2 man team.

So what i would like to see is that getting in a tank and out a tank takes some time, and that switching position takes some time. So 2 man tanks become a more viable option. Currently having 2 tanks individually controlled is far more advantagous than having a one man tank with 2 people inside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0