• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks done *right*

Listening to a factual series called "Daughters of Britannia" on BBC7.
Felicity Wakefield, the wife of the British Ambassador to Beirut (1975), described sitting on the embassy balcony with her visiting son, and remarked how the bird sounds were unlike any other she'd heard, a peculiar "zinging" noise.
He replied "Mummy, that's no bird. That's bullets.":eek:

The series is a great example of the British stiff upper lip :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, to resurrect a 'dead' thread, but I found an interesting quote by Robert NIven, the famous British actor. He was describing his war service, and his hatred of the war correspondents when he said...

"Anyone who says a bullet sings past, hums past, flies, pings, or whines past, has never heard one − they go crack."

Better to resurrect a dead thread than start a new one :)

Upvote 0
Sry Kuma - this is not really aimed at you specifically, but I have seen this several times on these forums and it is really doing my head in.

INTENSE (adj.)
1 a: existing in an extreme degree <the excitement was intense> <intense pain> b: having or showing a characteristic in extreme degree <intense colors>
2: marked by or expressive of great zeal, energy, determination, or concentration <intense effort>
3 a: exhibiting strong feeling or earnestness of purpose <an intense student> b: deeply felt

INTENSIVE (adj.)
: of, relating to, or marked by intensity or intensification: as a: highly concentrated <intensive study> b: tending to strengthen or increase; especially : tending to give force or emphasis <intensive adverb> c: constituting or relating to a method designed to increase productivity by the expenditure of more capital and labor rather than by increase in scope <intensive farming>

So it sounds more intense, not intensive.

Upvote 0
Sry Kuma - this is not really aimed at you specifically, but I have seen this several times on these forums and it is really doing my head in.

INTENSE (adj.)
1 a: existing in an extreme degree <the excitement was intense> <intense pain> b: having or showing a characteristic in extreme degree <intense colors>
2: marked by or expressive of great zeal, energy, determination, or concentration <intense effort>
3 a: exhibiting strong feeling or earnestness of purpose <an intense student> b: deeply felt

INTENSIVE (adj.)
: of, relating to, or marked by intensity or intensification: as a: highly concentrated <intensive study> b: tending to strengthen or increase; especially : tending to give force or emphasis <intensive adverb> c: constituting or relating to a method designed to increase productivity by the expenditure of more capital and labor rather than by increase in scope <intensive farming>

So it sounds more intense, not intensive.

FFS are you serious?? You REALLY need to get out more mate. Pointing out incorrect grammar?? It'll be spelling mistakes next.
Get yourself a girlfriend & go & get drunk.

Upvote 0
Go look at some combat footage some time, the real stuff. Listen to what it sounds like when bullets fly over. This is it. This is realism.

It's not what Hollywood would have you believe, of course, and at close range the muzzle blast should be a lot louder - Battlefield 2 ****s in that regard. However, the sound of the rounds cracking overhead is spot-on accurate.

Are you implying that BF2 is good in some regard?

Upvote 0
It does sound more... intense, makes you really panic if you hear that cracking over and over again, much more than that "Whizz" we have now...

@down
I'm not english, sorry...
I'm not english either, but I'm sure as hell not sorry! :D

Anyway, I'd like to have this sound effect in the game, unless it diverts efforts from something more important, like having different coloured eyes for the soldiers in game. Just kidding ;)

Upvote 0
yo peeps... I made this demo.. the sound quality is really crappy :| I dont know how to fix it better, but it gives a slight impression.
The sounds are the same that DSLYXI used in Battlefield realitymod, I just added some amp to it so they got to the level of the shot sound as well as cutting them abit.. otherwise it got REALLY noisy :D

Well here is a link, and if you know how to help me with increasing sound quality of my clip please report in :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCf7aa98G8U

Hugs teq

Upvote 0
sounds sexy Teq:)

Tnx mate.. Im sorry u cant hear it in high quality.

Here is a clip from PRMM to compare them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OahKQ1y0JK8&mode=related&search=

This clip is from real life:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iO7W_LOIQqI

And this one is mine:

Personally I think the PRMM is edited too heavy and the sounds are not much scary at all...
(they've clipped away the tail on the cracks and made them less "snappy")
I had to clip of some of the tail as well (cause they wouldnt sound if I kept a tail on them :( :( ), but I kept the reverberated part of the tail.. so it sounds abit more snappy and loud.
Also I've amped them to the level of the gun shots... actually just to make them annoying and scary... so there is no way you can ignore them really.

Its no doubt that you will feel an urge to duck when you hear these sounds....

I've recommended these samples to the Darkesthour mod for RO. Hope they implement them... or something alike it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yo peeps... I made this demo.. the sound quality is really crappy :| I dont know how to fix it better, but it gives a slight impression.
The sounds are the same that DSLYXI used in Battlefield realitymod, I just added some amp to it so they got to the level of the shot sound as well as cutting them abit.. otherwise it got REALLY noisy :D

Well here is a link, and if you know how to help me with increasing sound quality of my clip please report in :)

Hugs teq

Nice Vid, although the sound seems a bit off I can see what you are trying to show. If this could be done right, it would make a great mutator or even part of the main game itself.

On another note, does anybody think the grenade-explosion sound in Brothers in Arms is more realistic...or is too high pitched??

Upvote 0