• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks done *right*

As I've posted bfore, ive been working on "crack" for RO...
The thing iss.. that the RO sounds are not possible to Mix down (as far as I've figured) without going into EVERY single Sample and turn the sound down.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it's the right sound it'll stand out well enough. Remember you may be 100m away from the shot when fired or there maybe little action in your area so the crack will stand out. It isn't actually louder than a shot it's just the fact that you know what it is that's the main scary part. Besides as long as the crack wizz is done right then it'll add a lot of atmosphere to the game & if the crack's as loud as an ingame rifle shot i should think that would suffice. (IMHO)
Good luck with it anyway.
Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Isn't it possible that every sound stays normal unless you one fires. Now the shooting and the bullets are louder than the rest?
It is not very realistic that you can hear walking sounds perfeclty while being in a firefight.
Something like the peep sound of the flash nades in RavenShield, where you hardly can here other things.

Upvote 0
Ah, nuts. Any idea what the problem might be? Right now it just sounds like a silenced weapon from the original OFP whenever a bullet passes by.

Which confused me at first, I kept wondering where all these suppressed weapons came from :p

Defo have a look at your drivers. Armed Assault is still expierencing some problems with certain non-AC '97 sound cards. Try playing around with 3d sound or turning some sound options off.

I made a video a long time ago of a quick beach landing in which you can hear the sonic cracks in between all the other gunfire and action (which is quite intense in this kind of map.) Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JcGRg4-qrQ

EDIT: Most noticeable at 5-12 secs into it.

Another vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1e5fXsEQ08

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I noticed that it really isnt an issue, with the delay and stuff becuase of the motion blur when being shot at. It happens when a bullet lands near you or passes you and if it does pass you there is a zip type sound. The zip does not replace the gunshots (though it does drown them out a bit). All you need to do, is replace the zips with the cracks, and if the shots land near somewhere add the whump sound. Also, the ricochet sound that deforms the bullet that dyslexic was talking about also needs to be more frequent. The current one is very rare and pathetic. Go record those damned sounds, already, and put them in the next patch.

Upvote 0
I noticed that it really isnt an issue, with the delay and stuff becuase of the motion blur when being shot at. It happens when a bullet lands near you or passes you and if it does pass you there is a zip type sound. The zip does not replace the gunshots (though it does drown them out a bit). All you need to do, is replace the zips with the cracks, and if the shots land near somewhere add the whump sound. Also, the ricochet sound that deforms the bullet that dyslexic was talking about also needs to be more frequent. The current one is very rare and pathetic. Go record those damned sounds, already, and put them in the next patch.

I have to say this again... I THINK its too hard to get the Crack sound Loud enough.... The reason for this is that ALL sounds seem to be Amped to 100% (0db).... The "crack" will sound distorted if you try to make it louder than the current sounds... and not any good..

The only way to make the crack loud enough without distorting, is to turn down ALL the other sounds... to IE -5db (75%)... and make the crack reach 0db (100%)

This way you will turn up the master volume to hear the gun shots.. and then the Crack will be loud...

Im a sound designer & engineer... and I've been testing this...
------------------------------------------
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it's the right sound it'll stand out well enough. Remember you may be 100m away from the shot when fired or there maybe little action in your area so the crack will stand out. It isn't actually louder than a shot it's just the fact that you know what it is that's the main scary part. Besides as long as the crack wizz is done right then it'll add a lot of atmosphere to the game & if the crack's as loud as an ingame rifle shot i should think that would suffice. (IMHO)
Good luck with it anyway.
Rob

Hm ye ur right I think.. Ill try to have it working soon.. I just need to find a cleaner sample of the crack....
Cause mine is to distorted... Anyone?

Upvote 0
Defo have a look at your drivers. Armed Assault is still expierencing some problems with certain non-AC '97 sound cards. Try playing around with 3d sound or turning some sound options off.

I made a video a long time ago of a quick beach landing in which you can hear the sonic cracks in between all the other gunfire and action (which is quite intense in this kind of map.) Here it is:

Thanks, RedStorm, I'll look into this.

Upvote 0
About the crack, the smg ppsh41 shoot all clip to like one wall, even now the game can't play all ppsh 71ammo sounds. It play like some 60. What happen when more realistic and harder sounds came.

I dont think it will present much of a problem regarding the crack..
in fact the "crack" sound takes less space than the woosh samples...
Then unless you add both woosh and crack offcourse

Upvote 0
Has there been any advance on the recording of the sound yet?? Have the Devs got anywhere with this??
Cheers for any info. Really looking forward to this being added to the game. Gonna really add some atmosphere.
Imagine the sound of MG 42 rounds at 1300 RPM cracking just over the top of the wall your hiding behind :eek: ?? This may even help the supression problems.
Cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
Has there been any advance on the recording of the sound yet?? Have the Devs got anywhere with this??
Cheers for any info. Really looking forward to this being added to the game. Gonna really add some atmosphere.
Imagine the sound of MG 42 rounds at 1300 RPM cracking just over the top of the wall your hiding behind :eek: ?? This may even help the supression problems.
Cheers
Rob

im workin on it... Still have problems finding a good source...
and been abit busy IRL lately.
I will try to grab my fathers Colt Pyton .38 mag and set up a mic at the shooting range and record some....
The problem is that we need to go to a rifle range..
cause pistol ranges are max 50m where I live, so the shot sound and the crack is too close to each other to make a good recording....

And as I said before... its a problem amping the sound high enough without distorting it.. because the standard sounds in RO is allready Amped 200% :p

Upvote 0
Another problem would be the fps of the revolver.
Nothing close to a rifle.
So if you are quite some distance away the bullet might travel around or under the speed of sound.

Hmm yes... I know the bullet bleeds speed..
I dont know how much speed the .38 mag bleeds pr metre.
If I can shoot at 100m without dropping below SoS (Speed of sound)
I think I could get a clean recording.
Unfortunantly I do not have access to a rifle atm.

Upvote 0
Back in my competitive shooting days I enjoyed shooting in High Power Service Rifle matches. I shot a Garand along with a couple of other guys, but most of the line used Springfield Armory M-1A rifles (civilian version of the M-14). We did have a couple of National Match M-14 rifles (semi-auto only, selector slot welded and trigger sear exchanged) as well. Part of our duties as competitors was working the pits for the other relays. Our range was 300 yards, since getting a full 600 yards was a bit cost prohibitive. Still, when you're working the pits on a 40 position line with a shooter at every position you had better be wearing hearing protectors. During rapid fire you have 40 shooters firing 20 rounds each (800 rounds) in a period of 2 minutes. Not necessarily MG level, but enough to cause serious hearing and stability issues for the unprotected.

The sound of the bullets passing overhead was a very clear, very sharp, very loud "CRACK". You could also hear the faint "thump" sound of the rifles, and a slightly louder "whump" of the bullet hitting the backstop. If you heard the bullet hit paper (difficult due to the bullet crack, but possible) it was a slight "pop" sound. The only real way to tell if the bullet hit the target was to see the tiny pieces of paper floating down.

Very few of the firearms represented in RO would be subsonic in any of the maps where infantry is used. None of the tank guns (except the short 75mm on the German Pz.IV D) would go subsonic on even the longest ranged tank map. Basically everything should make a sharp "CRACK" as it passed by, followed by a muffled "boom" at extended ranges. The only problem I can see is that to make them sound realistic they need to be LOUD, as in painfully loud.

Gunshots and supersonic bullets are LOUD. Louder than is pleasant, in fact loud enough to do permanent damage to your hearing. You'll have to take my word on this, but I do have personal experience - four shots from my Garand while not wearing hearing protection left me with permanent hearing loss in my left ear.

Upvote 0
Gunshots and supersonic bullets are LOUD. Louder than is pleasant, in fact loud enough to do permanent damage to your hearing. You'll have to take my word on this, but I do have personal experience - four shots from my Garand while not wearing hearing protection left me with permanent hearing loss in my left ear.

They are loud but no louder than the retort from the weapon firing it if you don't wear ear protection & giving this is a war game no one does. The crack isn't as loud as the shot so the game can handle it.

Upvote 0
Sorry, to resurrect a 'dead' thread, but I found an interesting quote by Robert NIven, the famous British actor. He was describing his war service, and his hatred of the war correspondents when he said...

"Anyone who says a bullet sings past, hums past, flies, pings, or whines past, has never heard one − they go crack."

Upvote 0