• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad System in RO2

Maybe I misunderstand. Does it mean that if for example I am joining squad A and get killed, I respawn close-by squad A again?

That would be awesome if you have a group of guys regularly playing on the same server in the sense that you can easily practice tactics within the group.

I would rather like to have old RO respawn options where you respawn at captured objective rather then respawning with your squad. I feel squad respawn would make the game usual COD rush frag fests instead of unique RO style objective focused tactical gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Krazyxazn, As I understand it you won't get in a situation where all smg slots are taken by squad A, as each squad has their own class limits. If the assault classes of Squad A are occupied, that shouldn't affect the number of assualt guys in Squad B. Maybe I misunderstood you.

Anyway, It sounds pretty much like the system in Insurgency which was really good. The problem there was that there was no way to tell who was in your squad (as far as I remember it only pointed out your squadleader and the orders he gave you), so it didn't really make you work with your squad anyway.

The spawn-on-squadleader will be interesting to see how it affects gameplay. Cutting off reinforcement routes with MGs and artillery was one of the things that gave depth to RO:O. I'm all for that you spawn closer to your squad (i.e on the right flank) but that you still have to move up to the front.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Krazyxazn:

You're way confused...

13 players on one team (i.e. Axis or Allies) would give you two squads open; 13 players on the server (i.e. 6/7 players per team) would give you one squad per team.

1 Squad (usually) = 2 fire teams, plus an MG team. Sniper is usually outside the squad as a separate (small) squad.

Default available selection is Platoon Commander + 1 (full) Squad.

Squad system doesn't apply in Firefight - that is just mayhem :)
I see what you're getting at, I was trying to make sense of it from the America's Army perspective (I probably didn't use the right wording, as I haven't really played much AA since v2.0, years ago).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The spawn-on-squadleader will be interesting to see how it affects gameplay. Cutting off reinforcement routes with MGs and artillery was one of the things that gave depth to RO:O. I'm all for that you spawn closer to your squad (i.e on the right flank) but that you still have to move up to the front.

It adds a different tactical dimension: if you can infiltrate your squad leader somewhere - and he can stay alive - and you can get a bunch of people to respawn on him it can make a big difference.

If you invite a friend into the server and he joins, will automatically join your squad or does he have to find it manually?

No - but go to the squad view when choosing roles and it shows you who is in which role, in which squad, so it isn't hard.

Upvote 0
It adds a different tactical dimension: if you can infiltrate your squad leader somewhere - and he can stay alive - and you can get a bunch of people to respawn on him it can make a big difference.

I see a very bad situation, a squad leader and his team is pinned in a building way behind enemy lines, the enemy throws a few nades inside and kill half the squad, 10 seconds later the squad respawns in the building. I thought this respawning was limited to firefight?

No thanks. Praying this can be disabled, because I will definitely disable it on my server.
Spoiler!

Meh.
Love battlefield squad system, hated the squad spawn, project reality bridged this gap by having a very limited spawn window for dead team members, the squad leader would place a rally and they could spawn there for about 30 seconds provided there was no enemies near. The recharge was like 3 minutes on the rally point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It could work pretty well if people only spawn on the leader if there is no enemies within a specific range, otherwise it would just move the squads spawn area closer to leader but still a bit from the frontline. Anyway, if it can be disabled it's not a problem, and I'm sure that the dynamics it creates are fun in their own way.

Upvote 0
It is in one of the video interviews with the Devs that the Squad Leader spawn is done so that you don't spawn on top of him, you spawn in pre-defined locations near him, so you are spawned (hopefully) away from firefights. I don't see why you are so opposed to this spawn system? If your squad is in contact and you have to spawn back at base to run 500 meters just to be killed trying to reach your squad quickly... WWII wasn't fought by millions of lone wolves... It'll also stop the ROOst problem of spawning in MG gunners sights and being mown down before working out which way is up! (That and spawntillery, spawn exit killing, etc.)

Great idea Devs, keep it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miro! and u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
I see a very bad situation, a squad leader and his team is pinned in a building way behind enemy lines, the enemy throws a few nades inside and kill half the squad, 10 seconds later the squad respawns in the building. I thought this respawning was limited to firefight?

No thanks. Praying this can be disabled, because I will definitely disable it on my server.

I see nothing tactically wrong here, except for you trying to clear a building from the outside only. Thats not how you secure a building :)

The spawning system has specific conditions regarding enemy presence.

In situations like you describe you will have to infiltrate that building after you threw your nades in, and actually clear it and secure it properly by sweeping through it. Because as you do, the enemy players most likely will not be able to re-spawn in that building.

Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
I see nothing tactically wrong here, except for you trying to clear a building from the outside only. Thats not how you secure a building :)

The spawning system has specific conditions regarding enemy presence.

In situations like you describe you will have to infiltrate that building after you threw your nades in, and actually clear it and secure it properly by sweeping through it. Because as you do, the enemy players most likely will not be able to re-spawn in that building.

We probably have two very different scenarios in our heads at the moment. I'm thinking something like the tower on the map Odessa from RO1, russians surrounding it on all sides, the Germans are completely cut off from reinforcements, but the squad leader is hiding in a corner on the roof and spawning germans. So unless the russians can kill the SL (which would be near impossible with people spawning and running down the stairs) the tower is never going to fall.
Tactically nothing wrong, but it cuts out as others were saying, cutting off supply and storming a building, which is coincidentally the way the russians took stalingrad.

That is my concern.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We probably have two very different scenarios in our heads at the moment. I'm thinking something like the tower on the map Odessa from RO1, russians surrounding it on all sides, the Germans are completely cut off from reinforcements, but the squad leader is hiding in a corner on the roof and spawning germans. So unless the russians can kill the SL (which would be near impossible with people spawning and running down the stairs) the tower is never going to fall.
Tactically nothing wrong, but it cuts out as others were saying, cutting off supply and storming a building, which is coincidentally the way the russians took stalingrad.

That is my concern.
And a legitimate concern it is. I always lol'd at this kind of gameplay in BF2 and even in my favorite mod, FH2. As a squad leader, I'd just sneak into an objective, and despite an entire army of enemies around me, magically spawn 5 guys right on my position and immediately capture the point ...

Or even more annoying is when more than one enemy squad do this at an objective, so you have a constant stream of guys just pouring out of the woodwork for no good reason lol. Let's hope that if lots of enemies aren't in the vicinity (like within a 50 foot radius), squad leader spawn is disabled. Otherwise, it could be VERY annoying and kill immersion with guys popping into capzones all the time.

Reactions: Ossius
Upvote 0
I don't see why you are so opposed to this spawn system? If your squad is in contact and you have to spawn back at base to run 500 meters just to be killed trying to reach your squad quickly... WWII wasn't fought by millions of lone wolves... It'll also stop the ROOst problem of spawning in MG gunners sights and being mown down before working out which way is up! (That and spawntillery, spawn exit killing, etc.)

People for certain wasn't teleported into combat in WW2. I think this feature take away natural tactics and add extremely gamey ones. As you yourself mention, no longer can one cut of one of the enemy routs with artillery if they got a squad leader hiding in a corner. It will also be more boring to play as a squad leader as a good squadleader now should hide close to the enemy lines and stay hidden.

I understand some like it more this way as they get faster into the action. This is for me however the last nail in the coffin for me that I will spend 99% of my time on custom servers.

You get his point, one soldier goes in, a squad goes out. "Quick, do a sweep the building before new soldiers grow out of the walls."

Upvote 0
I understand some like it more this way as they get faster into the action. This is for me however the last nail in the coffin for me that I will spend 99% of my time on custom servers.

Don't jump the gun Forssen, we don't know the extent of the enemy presence has a squad spawn, I'm weary as you are but lets give it a shot before we judge it too quickly.

You get his point, one soldier goes in, a squad goes out. "Quick, do a sweep the building before new soldiers grow out of the walls."

Terrifying image of nazis growing out of walls can't be unseen!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main disadvantage of spawning on a person is that, effectively in competitive matches you somewhat force a person to maximize his ability in becoming a good spawn point.

Its not always fun to like hide somewhere just so your team mates can spawn. For that reason I'm a bigger fan of mobile "deployable" spawns. So basically a squad leader being able to create a spawn zone somewhere and the other team being able to disable it.

Overall though I like the wave feeling of red orchestra 1, so I wonder whether spawning near squad leader will have positive effects on competitive play.

Upvote 0