• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad System in RO2

Fighting near Hero players give small bonuses.

RO is a game of numbers. You can have the worst KDR players but still be organized enough to get your entire team into the capture point to win the map.

But is the squad leader necessarily a hero?

I mean certainly there is an inherent incentive to stick with your squad, but I was mainly asking if there was some additional hardcoded incentive similar to the hero effect you mentioned.

Upvote 0
I see nothing tactically wrong here, except for you trying to clear a building from the outside only. Thats not how you secure a building :)

The spawning system has specific conditions regarding enemy presence.

In situations like you describe you will have to infiltrate that building after you threw your nades in, and actually clear it and secure it properly by sweeping through it. Because as you do, the enemy players most likely will not be able to re-spawn in that building.

As long as the spawning conditions are very stringent to keep players from infiltrating spawn areas, capzones etc... I approve. It certainly reflects Soviet infiltration tactics used during the actual battle, relying on sewers, back passageways, rooftops, attics, and plain old cunning to establish fortified positions behind enemy lines. I'll certainly give spawn-on-leader a chance. In fact, in order to emphasize squad-based gameplay, which is something I love the sound of, I'm willing to tolerate a degree of weird spawn tactics.

I hope that the spawn condition takes either suppression or proximity of spawn areas into consideration along with enemy presence. The first two go without saying--a squad leader being shot at shouldn't be spawned upon under any circumstances, while spawns are just sacred.

I anticipate that this feature will come in handy to fight normal spawn camping however, allowing a squad leader to leave spawn, travel to a safe area, and bring teammates into play without danger.

Reactions: Cherokee_Jack
Upvote 0
And when you and other squad members spawn close to the squadleader, provided the tactical situation allows, poeple tend to stick with that group more too. That is what i consider the added value of this system. It enhances the squad system to a degree.

We still have our traditional moving spawn system in place too, and in our playtests I see people spread out over each spawn option. Some spawn on spawn 1, some on spawn 2 and some on squad leaders. It kind of naturally evens out.

To answer the other concern mentioned: Role changes only come in effect after you die.
I am glad you have spawn options now, other than just the squad leader spawn. I always hated on the bigass tank or combined arms maps where you'd get spawned 100 miles from the objective you wanted to defend lol ... then you walk all the way there only to get MGed by a tank in the distance. This is part of the reason clown cars and universal carriers were never used for their intended purpose -- people wanted to get into the fight sooner and didnt' bother waiting for others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My main concern now is if You can change roles on the fly? When a 5 men squad rush through the open field (let's say covered by MG) and only one rifleman manage to reach the safe zone, is it possible to change roles within the squad to make only living squad memeber a squad leader? Hopefully You can only become SL at spawn.

No - you can't change role on the fly. If your SL is dead, you can't spawn on him. He has to spawn in a "standard" spawn point.

t could be even worse when you can look through all the squads while waiting for a spawn and see where they are; so you join one which is in best position, spawn on them, then leave the squad and join your previous one.

Can only change squads/roles when dead, so you can't keep swapping all the time.

[QUOTE=M

Upvote 0
Yes, it definitely helps combat spawn camping (Guppy, please take note).

::Sees SL and men run by, kills a few guys, sees SL drop to the ground::
"Hurry up and kill him before he gets away, I'll keep his head down"
::SL pops up and gets a headshot on me and team member, proceeds to reinforce the area::

SL:
backpain-1292835351.jpg

Upvote 0
All this info is pretty sweet and whilst I do understand the reluctance to change to a "gamier" style of spawn I also agree that encouraging teamwork is worth a slight chip to realism. Also reassured that some control have been put on, I played a lot of BC2 and had hated watchin people blink into existence infront of me. I like the "cannot be under fire" rule. A lot. However as previously said it will result in the Squad leader being taken completely out of teh fight in comp play to purely act as a spawnpoint and not a soldier. That sucks a bit 8(

My question has been touched on by people before. Will there be a "exp" or "score" bonus to keeping good squad coherency and teamwork? Like rewards for assists or supressing targets that your squad is engaging? I guess what i'm lookin for is will a mediocre player who tows the line adn co-operates be getting more tangible reward then a good player who just runs off to shoot things whilst not providing meaningful input to his teams efforts?

Upvote 0
Is there any incentive to fight nearby or squad mates? Or is it just a mechanism to divvy up weapons and institute a forward spawn option?
Yes there are rewards for staying close to your squad(leader). There are many team oriented rewards in place.
What exactly do you mean by role? Would I be safe to assume it be mostly the gun you carry?
Your role is what weapon choice loadout you will be able to spawn with - primary, secondary if applicable, grenades, explosives etc. You can pick up weapons that are dropped on the battlefield. You will loose any picked up weapons when you die though, and respawn with your class loadout of choice.

Upvote 0
The conditions include that the SL is "safe" (not under fire etc) and that there is a position close by (NOT within sight of the SL) where you can spawn "safe" - and that both are not close to the enemy. Basically, the SL has to be pretty much out of contact with the enemy. This means that the SL really needs to find a location that the enemy has left reasonably unprotected. Hose the area down with an MG and no-one will be spawning there, for instance...

Perfect!

Upvote 0
The conditions include that the SL is "safe" (not under fire etc) and that there is a position close by (NOT within sight of the SL) where you can spawn "safe" - and that both are not close to the enemy. Basically, the SL has to be pretty much out of contact with the enemy. This means that the SL really needs to find a location that the enemy has left reasonably unprotected. Hose the area down with an MG and no-one will be spawning there, for instance...

Yes, it definitely helps combat spawn camping (Guppy, please take note).
Thanks for the info. Hopefully this applies to Firefight as well, even though that mode doesn't have squad leaders (or squads ... or does it?). Anyway, I remember seeing some recent MP footage (the one with no sound) where an ally spawns literally RIGHT in front of one of the players.

Obviously it's a beta version of the game, but hopefully Firefight spawns won't be quite that close ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Hopefully this applies to Firefight as well, even though that mode doesn't have squad leaders (or squads ... or does it?). Anyway, I remember seeing some recent MP footage (the one with no sound) where an ally spawns literally RIGHT in front of one of the players.

Obviously it's a beta version of the game, but hopefully Firefight spawns won't be quite that close ;)

Yea, I remeber this one, he almost TK him, that looked really bad.

Upvote 0
Will be interesting to see how this works out, I trust the closed beta testers to point out flaws with this if there are any.

As a suggestion, why not make the "spawn zone" that must be clear of enemies/enemy fire larger the further you are from an already capped objective? That'd effectively make it harder to sneak to the front and spawn your force.

So if the SL is say 50 meters from the last capzone only 10 meters in diameter of "clearance" is needed for teammates to spawn, but if he's 500 meters from it a 100 meters clearance is needed. This would also promote defending teams to spread out in more of a battle line than just having everyone gathered at a strong point/choke point.

Reactions: Devil_Inside
Upvote 0
Will be interesting to see how this works out, I trust the closed beta testers to point out flaws with this if there are any.

As a suggestion, why not make the "spawn zone" that must be clear of enemies/enemy fire larger the further you are from an already capped objective? That'd effectively make it harder to sneak to the front and spawn your force.

So if the SL is say 50 meters from the last capzone only 10 meters in diameter of "clearance" is needed for teammates to spawn, but if he's 500 meters from it a 100 meters clearance is needed. This would also promote defending teams to spread out in more of a battle line than just having everyone gathered at a strong point/choke point.

I like this idea!

Upvote 0

Seconded, I think the devs should make note of this in case they ever decide to tweak the spawn criteria. might be complicated to code however.

Upvote 0