• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So I just tried enforcing the "advance or die" for russians

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be said that players often need a certain motivation to actually move forwards, especially on maps such as Fallen Fighters were cover is scant and the chance of being shot is high. However, those types of maps also need and warrent an aggressive approach.

Two nights back I spent a good portion of my time typing into chat to motivate not only the men but also the SL whom were refusing to stick their neck out to throw smoke. After a couple of minutes of repeated phrasings in both text and voice, things started advancing. The Russians actually pushed the Germans all the way back to their spawn and we held Red Square comfortably.

Positive encouragment goes a long way, especially in difficult games. If players are aware that their death and//or advancements (no matter how small) are positively affecting their team, then they shall do it repeatedly and pass on said motions to other players. One simply has to be patient, perhaps be ready to commit five minutes of constant typing and yelling, then the game becomes much more relaxed with a competant team.

+1

I tried this as an SL on FF. After advancing into enemy territory myself (quite heroically, if I do say so myself) I started calling for people to advance and to "Spawn on SL". In no time the team was advancing. A lot of players seem to be afraid to die. This is likely a habit grown from playing other shooters. Once they realize that the advance is the point of the game, the game becomes a lot more enjoyable.

Upvote 0
OP sounds like someone that came from one of those other titles, OMG you guys Stop camping!!! I guess he never noticed that this game is better played tactically.

I do although agree on parts of what he says, an example would be Apartments; once the first obj is captured, having players hanging around the bridge the entire map usually means a loss for the team. It is hard for some to understand a tactical advance.:D

Upvote 0
My defense for apartements is that I have to visually, as a rifleman administering accurate cover fire, see that the buildings across the bridge are swarming with russians before I realize that the line has moved. This is because that mini map doesn't really show that the OBJ has been taken. Sure a little grey "red" star shows up, but it isn't really noticable if you aren't on top of the OBJ. I love playing as a rifleman, and believe that my job is to lay down deadly accurate fire to support the assault guys moving into the buildings. I advance and do the same once the OBJ is taken, but sometimes if the OBJ is outside of my minimap, I can't tell it's taken until a couple of minutes after it has been. Maybe the red star that shows up should in fact be red and stand out the way the next OBJ does?

Upvote 0
OP sounds like someone that came from one of those other titles, OMG you guys Stop camping!!! I guess he never noticed that this game is better played tactically.

I do although agree on parts of what he says, an example would be Apartments; once the first obj is captured, having players hanging around the bridge the entire map usually means a loss for the team. It is hard for some to understand a tactical advance.:D
Camping in the back whilst the main team is fighting for capzone and you are not covering them or whatsoever to help teamplay should be dealt with.

There is no excuse for non-teamplay.
The bullet or the buttsmack remain.

Upvote 0
Oh crap, you guys are even worse than I thought.
Did I ever talk about those executions being realistic?

For me, it's just funny to see that the tactics from the obviously dramatised Hollywood film "Enemy at the Gates" are actually working in RO2.

I also never said I would use Hollywood films as my source of historical events, I just get joy out of re-enacting film scenes...

Upvote 0
I'm not doing this all the time, you know?
I did it ONCE. And it was fun.

But seeing how easy it is to piss off people I don't like by doing so, I might consider doing it more often...

Doesn't bother me really

Just don't like it when people think it's a legit realistic tactic. (But da Russians in WW2 shooted troops in the back and made them do millions of human wave attacks and only gave half the people gunz)

As I've said I pop smoke on the noobs who camp.

Reactions: evulclown
Upvote 0
Especially hilarious to force them to push in the middle of an enemy artillery barrage.

"GET OUT THERE AND PUSH!!"
"But commissar, artillery has us zoned in, can you not feel this building shaking?"
"HERESY!"
*BLAM*

No I dont do this, but was shot when holed up indoors during an artillery barrage. Some people cannot into reading a situation :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.