• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Seriously guys: tanks are a mess

Why can't a T-34 destroy a Panzer in one hit to the side?
The AP explosive filler and after penetration effects are broken (for both sides).

you might want to consider HE shells, since they do not loose their effectiveness after range and might even dislodge the turret or damage vision slots. I do not know if the HE shells have that effect ingame though. They should help kill the crew through shock or damage the tank through sheer explosive force.
That's interesting... I wonder if this is implemented in the game.
It should not be as we are talking about 75/76 mm HE here, not 150 mm HE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the beta, wait for final product till you start judging... how man times do we have to say it

Don't say it. How many times do I have to explain that complaining is good? That's the whole point of the beta, to make the game better. That can't happen if everyone on the forums talks about how perfect it is.

It seems correct to say that because this is the beta then probably its not best to jump to quite so many conclusions... so many people are posting threads stating opinions like they are fact....
However I agree with a lot of the points made here, concerning the use of flanking with the russian tanks... as far as I can tell there will be a load of training missions in the single player to teach you things like how to be a squad leader and so on....So I wouldnt be surprised to see a training mission on how to best handle the different styles needed to do well with the tanks.

Upvote 0
I hate to say it, but I'm not impressed at all by the tanks. First of all, there's no communication to the players as to whats going on behind the scenes with tanks. What happens when x gets damaged for example. There's also no indication that T-34s need to try and move as much as possible. Therefore, players who don't know better sit and go head to head against the PZ IVs, which is suicide. Then they complain that the Russian tank sucks. There needs to be SOMETHING in game that tells you to try to flank the Germans. Rather than it be an annoyed person who knows better, which half the people won't even read his messages in chat anyway.

We obviously don't know yet, but I imagine this might be addressed in the single player campaign or at minimum mentioned in the user's manual (the first RO did, if I recall). But otherwise, as someone else pointed out, experience will quickly teach the intelligent player to use speed to advantage against strength. I imagine a campaign scenario where you are told to flank the enemy with the T-34s. As it is, in Beta now we only have multiplayer, and I personally prefer a multiplayer that leaves players to their own devices and does not give too much redundant advice. I supposed it could be incorporated into random "tips" for the loadscreen.

If it isn't ultimately mentioned in either, I agree I think it should be. Or at least, when they released stats sheets for the tanks in RO:Ost, they had info on speed and armor strength, etc, from which it could be reasoned which tanks had to be the flankers to succeed.

Upvote 0
I know it has been said a thousand times, but moving a turret with only the mouse sucks! I hate moving my mouse back and forth multiple times just to move the bloody thing. Why can't I just use the WASD to do that?

They had to make a compromise because you also have to drive the tank if no other players are in the tank with you. You can't use WASD for driving and shooting at the same time.
I also agree that it was more "real" to use WASD for shooting but that's the price you pay for "being" a tank :)

Also, why can't I see rounds bounce off tanks like we used to see in RO and DH? Now the tanks are like sponges, absorbing everything thrown at them. It feels like it's RO: BF2 instead of RO2.

Yes, round bouncing was fun and real. Maybe they will give it back to us.
Anyway that map has bigger issues now.

Upvote 0
First at all remember this is STILL a beta. It is made to find out things like you mentioned.

I hate to say it, but I'm not impressed at all by the tanks. First of all, there's no communication to the players as to whats going on behind the scenes with tanks. What happens when x gets damaged for example. There's also no indication that T-34s need to try and move as much as possible. Therefore, players who don't know better sit and go head to head against the PZ IVs, which is suicide. Then they complain that the Russian tank sucks. There needs to be SOMETHING in game that tells you to try to flank the Germans. Rather than it be an annoyed person who knows better, which half the people won't even read his messages in chat anyway.
I cant think of a better way to learn what to do in the game and what not by dying or lets call it not doing so well. Its like you would complain that you have a hard time killing somebody with a smg at 500 meters range. Its called learning curve.

The damage system doesn't seem to be working right. It feels like Ostfront on day 1 when the code somehow got broken - that is, it plays like CoD: UO tanks with HP system instead of a damage model. Why can't a T-34 destroy a Panzer in one hit to the side? Especially when aiming at the part in between the track rollers that you are supposed to hit to destroy the ammo cache. I can understand needing multiple shots to the front to destroy a tank, as its not as easy to hit the right spot. But when I shoot the engine of a PZ IV in the side ten times, hear penetration sounds every time and it doesn't get blown up, something is wrong. I've even been in a point blank cluster**** against a PZ IV, and I was the one that survived even though we got about an even amount of shots on each other. How does that work? And why does the commander in the T-34 get killed so often? I know those early T-34 models had a shot trap between the hull and the turret, so why would it kill the commander 10x as often as jamming the turret or blowing the turret off completely?
Well I cant say I have the exact same experience when im using the russian tank. When I hit a german tank from the side it takes something between 1-3 to blow it up. But i can confirm that im suprised and shocked how easy the tank commander dies in the russian tank.

Balance is a dirty word around these parts. But there's easily balanceable problem right now, and that is the number of AP shells each tank gets. Panzers get 34, T-34s get 19. Why? The T-34s get about 50 HE shells. What's the reason for having so few AP rounds? Its obviously not due to a small ammunition cache if you can fit FIFTY HE shells along with the 19 AP ones. The T-34s have to fire more shots per kill than the Germans, and yet they get less ammunition. I thought it was because teh T-34s couldn't hold a lot of ammo, but when I saw all the HE rounds in there, it made me wonder what was going on. The game doesn't account for poor quality Soviet armor, or ammunition shortages, so why would it account for AP round shortages?
Well on all the maps with tanks I played so far I was never able to shoot out all my AP shells because. The best I did in one tanker life was killing 3 german tanks and I consider that pretty much. Also on the current maps the most time I spend in a tank is supporting infantry with my tank. On the other hand I dont really see a reason why the ammount of AP shells is so low and the HE ammount much much much higher.

Upvote 0
RO1 Tank combat smokes the combat here. I have avoided tanks for this reason

You have got to be kidding? Sure RO2 needs some tweaks and fixes here and there but it's nowhere near the Benny Hill-themed vanilla RO1 tanking with extremely exaggerated angling advantages, slow fire-ball projectiles and really simplified damage model.
Unless you're talking about tanking in DH which is pretty damn solid, or maybe the Armored Beast mod which at least makes the tank combat playable, but vanilla RO1? No, just no. I actually tried it again a month ago or so but DH, the AB mod and tank sims like Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 had spoiled me and it was just simply unplayable.

All in all I'm impressed with the fidelity and the extremely HEAVY feel of the tanks in RO2. It certainly feels like you're driving around in a big, heavy, noisy tank and not the RC-cars of RO1. I simply love all the little rattling and "clonk" noises happening. Mad props to the sound guys of this game.

One of my biggest complaints with RO2 tanks that I haven't seen mentioned yet (granted I haven't read every single post so excuse me if it has) are the penetration and ricochet sounds which need some variation. The volume of them also needs to be lowered greatly when it's other tanks taking the damage. Sometimes it's hard to know if it's you being shot at or your buddy 50 meters away. A hit to your own tank should be VERY noticeable.

Upvote 0
I prefer the T34 above the panzer iv.

I have no problems with killing the panzer with 1 shot.

But i see the most of the players making errors with tankbattle.
A whole of bunch standing high on a hill.

Negative points,

- flying tanks in the hills, i see it almost whole the time.
- no communication with your crew.
players doesn`t listen.
- when the loader is dead, i can`t shoot anymore.

Further is my opinion that the tank battle is awesome now.
Much better than in RO 1

Upvote 0
When in the commander seat, I'd like to be able to order different crew members to take over different positions when I have crew casualties. Last night, the driver got zapped when I was commander, and in order to move, I had to change positions back and forth to move and then shoot. I would have liked to have simply ordered the hull gunner to take over a driver.

Upvote 0
How do I stop the idiot AI from shooting the main gun when I'm in another position? I mean, I wouldn't mind too much if he didn't totally suck and getting the round on target. All he does is give my position away and depletes my ammunition.

Select human players, pray no one enters your tank and do it all yourself?

This is one of those design differences between the two sides that leaves me scratching my head. Why do the the German AI fire the gun, but the Russians don't? Do Russian tank commanders get pissy when their drivers and loaders touch the gun? For people that aren't WWII tank buffs, that and lots of design and capability differences make no sense to us, even if they make perfect sense to the devs and those in the know.

I want to like tanking and with friends on skype I can see it being an ok experience. What I don't like right now is A) what seems like the kind of kind maps TWI is going for, based on Gumrak. It's really open, really plain, really boring and you spend a ton of time scanning for tanks with three different view modes. That's why I say I'd appreciate tanking with human players who are communicating. But they're not in the beta and that's just a hindrance to learning and appreciating tanking. Maybe other pure armor maps will be better, but Gumrak leaves nothing to the imagination.

B) The one-shot kill mechanics that some people seem to have mastered already. Literally spawning, getting to the top of the hill (to drive over it and get the hell away) and getting a round at 700 meters that's an instant kill.

And C) the lack of critical information at times. Twice, I had my turret ring disabled on the first shot. I couldn't figure out why my gun wouldn't move and then I was dead. Like people are saying with their loader being dead and not being able to shoot, there are lots of moving parts to the tanks and players need to know better and faster what's wrong. All the voice overs in the world can be missed and the tank diagram, while it's good, doesn't tell us everything without a manual or reference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well, from what i can tell, I think the Issue isn't "why isn't it blowing up in one shot!?" It's more of a "where do I hit?!" As I can recall, a tank is only as knocked out as one person thinks it is. I suppose people who were all Rambo could sit in a tank that somehow wouldn't burn and take shot after shot if it didn't hit anything important. I have even heard stories of T-34's taking rounds directly through them and fighting on. But usually, as far as I know the decision of a tank being knocked out often came when it's crew bailed out when it was immobilized, or they just decided to get out of there.

Upvote 0