• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Seriously guys: tanks are a mess

On long ranges, you might want to consider HE shells, since they do not loose their effectiveness after range and might even dislodge the turret or damage vision slots. I do not know if the HE shells have that effect ingame though. They should help kill the crew through shock or damage the tank through sheer explosive force.

I'm fairly sure I killed a tank crewman with my T-34 HE shell before. Didn't know I had HE loaded, shot the front and it killed someone. Didn't see any infantry around the tank either.

Upvote 0
I know it has been said a thousand times, but moving a turret with only the mouse sucks! I hate moving my mouse back and forth multiple times just to move the bloody thing. Why can't I just use the WASD to do that?

Also, why can't I see rounds bounce off tanks like we used to see in RO and DH? Now the tanks are like sponges, absorbing everything thrown at them. It feels like it's RO: BF2 instead of RO2.

Well they made it mouse movement because now you can move the tank while commander. There is a way to figure out how to use keys for both though, just not sure what it is for me as I use arrow keys. And I notice that when rounds bounce off I'll hear the sound but won't see anything. For some reason the round disappears instead of hitting the ground like in Ostfront. So I don't know if it was me that got hit or a nearby teammate, and I don't have any indication what direction it came from.

Upvote 0
I know it has been said a thousand times, but moving a turret with only the mouse sucks! I hate moving my mouse back and forth multiple times just to move the bloody thing. Why can't I just use the WASD to do that?

Also, why can't I see rounds bounce off tanks like we used to see in RO and DH? Now the tanks are like sponges, absorbing everything thrown at them. It feels like it's RO: BF2 instead of RO2.

In RO the tank shells were bright yellow and easy to see. In RO2 theres a light red. When a shell bounces, they often lose that red tail so a deflected shot is very hard to see. I've seen shells deflect off of me. However, I think there are less deflections (as there should be.)

Upvote 0
This is the beta, wait for final product till you start judging... how man times do we have to say it

Don't be that guy.

If you knew anything about RO, you would know that us tread heads have to work hard to get TWI to devote attention to tanking. I pretty much only tank in DH because Shurek gives me a tanking experience I enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywarrior
Upvote 0
I haven't play much on Russian tanks, but as a Panzer IV I'm easily recording one hit kills. The tank will only blow up if the round penetrates and hit the ammo cache, just like in real life. Once you find the weak spot, it's pretty easy to record one hit kills. It may take a while to find it. Tip for the Germans: when facing the T-34 frontal armour aim for the MG gunner sit and have fun :D

It's pretty easy to get 1 shot kills with the Panzer on the T-34 as the Panzer pretty much obliterates them. On he flip side trying to get 1 or even 3 or 4 shot kills with the T-34 on the Panzer is like wishful thinking.

Seems to me the deflection isn't working so well on the T-34's & likely a bit too well on the Panzers.

Upvote 0
A tip or two: The Soviet tanks can have their turrets rotated while the commander/gunner is looking out of the hatch. To do so just look in the direction you wish to turn to then left click(no binocs out). Works when you're in the tank and not sighted in also.

For both tanks you can also traverse the turret with the ARROW keys very quickly.

The more you know!

As far as tank shells ricocheting, in RO2 every shell hit I've seen has the shell stop dead and either sit on the armor or roll off onto the ground, no deflections or even energy retention.

And another quip about tanking, I really feel that there should be a command menu akin to RO1s vehicle commands and alerts. As it stands now if you're tanking with another human your only means of communication are typing and hoping that they see it or talking over the mic. Neither are all that viable as not everyone has a mic(sadly, that work so well for teamplay games) typing is far too slow and easy to miss when there's a great deal going on around us.

There needs to be SOME way for people to communicate the Forward, Back, Left and Right movements. A way to say "Tank in front!" or, my personal favorite for overzealous drivers, "Infantry close!".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is also, as far as I know, no way to move the turret while unhatched. I don't get this either. I'm not saying i know how to figure out what buttons you need to key to rotate it, I'm just saying I think there needs to be a way to rotate while unhatched, especially in the T-34.p

if you check, when hatched in T-34, but not using the optic, you notice how its the tank commander that have the turret turning lever and etc, so if you unhatch, and want it turn... how? with a magical magic? and the loader cant reach it, without causing problem to the commander. :S

just my 2 cents about this part, but the rest i agree, there only 1 game when i was T-34 ive been efficient, and miraculously havent died one shot 90% of the time and killed 13 panzer IV in 1v1, either long range or close range lol

... and was the only one caring about recapping either airfield or admin building and try to cap german point, but each time trying, german recap our point... with no useful defense protecting them...

Upvote 0
I agree with 95% of the OP (I think people should learn how to flank on their own). Tanks are the glitchiest part of the game right now, and Gumrak has the most problems of any maps I've played so far.

Nah, there's one that I played today, an infantry map, one of the new ones. Can't remember what it's called, but there's a welding shed. I spent a lot of time walking into things, walking through things. Getting stuck on the interior of objects. That sort of thing. That, at least, hasn't happened to me yet on Gumrak.

I agree with you about the WASD. Re: watching shells bounce, just pay closer attention. I see them all the time. Yesterday I saw one actually bouncing off my own tank. Kinda neat, actually - they look like FMJBT rounds, just on a large scale.

Also, side note, huh?

Upvote 0
I have a couple of issues between how they were done in RO and how they're done in RO2.

With Osfront, when you were in a tank, you chose your class, but you spawned on foot and could retreat from a tank if it was badly damaged. You can't do either now, which makes playing tanks with friends a little annoying, as me and a couple of other buddies found it rather difficult to enjoy them.

Also, tracers are rather hard to see. It's not game breaking, but definitely a little unenjoyable.

Upvote 0
Only problem I'm having with tanks is their netcode is really bad. Warping around, turret looking where it's not pointing really, jumping around trying to drive it and shot delay are always a problem for me.

I've noticed too a lot of this kind of behavior. Rubberbanding, lag etc...

Few more complaints/suggestions/questions;

1)Is it a bug or feature, or just happening in my end but sometimes you don't hear, smell nor feel that you are hit but u are announced that we are hit here_and_there and you can see in the tank_overview_pic that something is yellow/red. A kind like the fail-tanking in Arma2.
Arma 2 tank, no blonk no boom? - YouTube

2) And yes pls make the crewman shut the **** up. Hate those voices.

3) Remove the tank driving directions/command spam. It fills the chatbox immediately.

4) How would I go about knowing who is in my tank with me and in which position?

5) Make the ability to choose ur crewman and not just the option lock/unlocked.

6) RO1 was pingpong, RO2 feels spongesponge :D

7) I suppose there is no more going back to the awsd aiming so we just have to get used to the new system.

8) I would like to get the numpad keys automatically binded to "Enemy at 12 oclock/13/15/6/9/11 etc.."

Last edited:
Upvote 0