• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Seriously guys: tanks are a mess

Yesterday evening i had a good time with my panzer in the map
forgotten fighters.

I got a score of about 50 kills in the first round. Other players
had a score about 3 / 4.

So was waiting for a kick but didn`t happen.:D

But i prefer the T34 above the panzer. Last week i played some rounds with the panzer.
Then i saw that the panzer have the same damage model as the T34.

My opinion stays that the T34 is stronger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How many nuts and bolts does it have?
When something as fundamentally basic as the total capacity of an HT is implemented incorrectly (in ROI) who would care about the nuts and bolts?

The Beast (nl) said:
My opinion stays that the T34 is stronger
You are aware that the stronger (and more accurate [is shot dispersion even implimented in ROII?]) weapon was in the PIV, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've tried the panzer IV for comparison to the preferred T-34. Findings follow:

It has superior situational awareness. When in the commander's cupola, the AI gunner will detect any infantry or tanks nearby and fire at them. It is amazing to watch. Don't have to scout for them yourself at all. Just wait in the cupola and take over when the gunner finds a target (which happens all the time on say, Red October Factory). The commander can also see pretty well from the cupola, but silly enough can't lean around, so have to turn the whole turret just to look behind one of the 'beams' in the cupola.

The tank accelerates slower than the T-34, turns slower and seems to have a worse top speed. It doesn't feel sluggish when using it, but when going back to the T-34 the difference really stands out. T-34 is like a race car and the P4 is a normal car.

Armour wise, the tanks seem pretty similar in slug fests. T-34's can often take tons of hits from a distance, and up close. But the P4 does seem to have an edge - can fire more recklessly when aiming and still be assured the T-34 will blow up. With the T-34, one must always aim very carefully at the ammo storage bins inside the P4 to accomplish anything. Even point blank flank shots.

The P4 hull gunner has amazing large zoom optics, a great view - great pair of eyes and very deadly. The T-34 has just an MG with a little hole drilled in the hull to try to peek through. Probably about 25% the effectiveness of the P4 hull gunner.

T-34 has an observation scope that can come in handy, and a view **** to the left for both driver and commander. This left-slit is very useful when infantry is nearby and peeking out of hatch too dangerous - especially when doing maneuvers that involve driving with the turret facing 90 degrees to either side - makes it possible to judge when to tell the driver to halt when an obstacle will be cleared, etc. The P4 however has view slits in every direction with the commanders cupola, and can maneuver things like this easily, and also spot infantry easily (not needed due to the supernatural detection powers of the AI gunner).

P4 has one more crewman, which is handy.

P4 gunsights are adjustable for range in a simple way. T-34 sights are permanent range notches, not at all as elegant (luckily I have excellent ability to judge distance and compensate accordingly without needing to adjust sights, but not everyone is like me).

T-34 shape is harder to see I think. With the colours it has and everything. P-34 stands out to me for some reason.

T-34 can move at pretty high speed (50-75% speed setting) on flat ground and be perfectly stable gun platform. P4 I have not checked as much, but it seems to require more struggling engine to get up to speed which affects the stability.

T-34 and P4 are the same length. T-34 is lower in height than the P4. The T-34 turret is much smaller and harder to hit. The T-34 gun is smaller looking with no muzzle brake - discrete looking. The whole upper body of the P4 is just so much more visible from any angle, with its huge gun, clonky large angular turret and large muzzle brake. Commander's cupola protrudes clearly too.

T-34 turret is mounted far forwards on the chassis. P4 is more centered, maybe even a bit rear of center. The forward turret of the T-34 means it can peek out from behind obstacles/cover/concealment and be able to bring the gun to bear without having to expose much of its body. P4 must reveal most of itself to do that. The penalty for the T-34 is that if popping out of cover reversed, the long rear chassis will be exposed long before the turret clears the obstacle, making it a large juicy target for anyone. Lesson: try to avoid reversing out of cover with T-34 - drive out of cover forwards whenever possible.

P4 carries much more armor piercing ammunition. T-34 carries much more high explosive ammunition. T-34 as such is better suited to support infantry by killing soft targets with the shells, whereas the P4 is more of a tank-hunter.

Summary:
T-34 is smaller, easier to conceal, harder to hit, better for shoot & scoot. Is much faster & maneuverable to the point of P4 gunners often missing their shots when the T-34 is at top speed from a few hundred meters range. The P4 has a better long range gun, less vulnerable to AT weapons and tanks, better situational awareness, more endurance due to more crew members, superior hull gunner.

T-34 as such should move into advantageous positions, and use stealth, to be able to take shots at the P4 without getting shot back at. Can also help capping more due to the ability to go anywhere in a hurry and the large supply of HE shells. If forced into long range engagements, being hull down is a good idea as the turret itself is tiny and small to spot. Ambush ambush.

P4 performs best when in a hull down position, as the tank profile is large, and the turret resliant yet with much crew. If not in hull down, try to keep distance from T-34 and angle the hull gunner so he can work his magic.

David and goliath sounds accurate. But I don't feel disadvantaged when using the T-34. They feel balanced when playing to their strengths. I have a kill to death ratio with the T-34 of probably 5:1 or better. I kill P4's that are not aware that I am about to shoot them. The tank is so insanely fast that getting to 'good spots' without getting killed or even noticed by enemy tanks, is a simple thing to do. And I always have as number 1 priority to not get hit at all by the enemy tanks. Tactical retreat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0