• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Release ArmoredBeasts 2.06 beta (update)

first of all, great improvment to RO vanilla.

now i do have some negative feedback, but please don't dismiss this as noob chatter, let's stay all calm and and hard-headed. i was told to STFU-n00b and all this when i tried to discuss Panther armor on the server i played.
i like the new feeling of all tanks, with one exception: the Panther. i played in valley of death, where most tank battles are almost at point blank (50 meters or less). the Panther with his 75mm nailed all russian medium tanks at the first hit most of the time, which is okay at these short distances. only the heavy IS-2 could endure the Panther if standing frontal. quite allright so far..

unfortunately, the panther's armor behavior deviates from everything i've heard and read about ww2 tanks so far: i always tried to flank the enemy Panthers, scoring hits on flank or rear. one time, i was in my KV-1S and had a panther at like 45

Upvote 0
Don't expect the same damage after the penetration as in vanillia RO. In real tank could blow up after the 1 penetration, but sometimes it needed 2-3. The most often is that after only 1 penetration tank is blowing up or is burning so you must leave it, but sometimes it happens that there aren't any serious damages inside the tank. Armor of all tanks is fine and historical. You can penetrate side of panther by russian 76mm even from 500m, but I don't know from how far exactly.
You can read here where to shoot by playing each tank.
http://www.redorchestragame.com/foru...4&postcount=19

Upvote 0
maybe i'll just have to play some more :p
That's the ticket.

astat said:
Mike_Nomad: is this mod done already? no further balance fixes that need to be done? or will it be further improved to make an even better armored beasts?

No its a mut (Mutator) not a mod and no again its not finished... You can expect that what you have to offer and many other observations are going to be taken into consideration. But please be mindful that only the verified, accurate WW2 specifications will apply. So far, contrary to the opines of some, ArmoredBeasts is quite accurate at this point and while unfinished, it does in fact, greatly enhance the RO experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nice to meet you here, Frontal_Lobe - i guess the dedicated community is rather small. ;)
for the time being, ive reverted to manning the IS-2 in valley of death. as long as i am faster than the panthers, i can finish them off with nice one-shot kills. and the tiger poses even less of a problem than the more agile panthers.. relying on their armor, the tigers carelessly roll into sight and get dealt with easily on those short distances.

actually jamming main guns or bad rounds would really add some salt to the game, although i suppose many players would find it having a negative impact on game fun. (might be less of an argument for a realism mutator than for the vanilla game though)

one thing ive been thinking about, if you are bringing up the topic of crew kills: concussion!
it is a nice feature in RO's infantry combat if shots or explosions are going down nearby. the sight will get blurry, the sound fades - all symbolizing you being suppressed by enemy fire.
since even a light 3,7cm hit on a heavy russian tank would be (despite being completely harmless) a very uncomfortable experience for its tank crew. is it technically possible to implement the infantry suppression to tank crews? so a continuous barrage of 76mm on a tiger would put it kinda out of combat since the crew were probably bleeding out of their eyeballs from concussion. :(
and, even more important than crew kills might be wounded crew members. you get some internal tank shrapnel rather quickly, which may not kill instantly, but hurt pretty bad.

most annoying problem ive faced so far is that many servers running AB will not adapt the standard maps. so in like black day july, the tiger will usually run over any T34 hordes. would be okay if the russians had at least a numeric advantage, but since there's so many axis fanboys around, the germans more often than not end up with more players as well. ;)

Upvote 0
Yes BDJ can be pretty bad, but last time I played it was fantastic.
First round was lost very fast, but in the second round a lot people understood that Artillery is great to kill small kittens.
And a lot of Germans thought they are in uber tanks and did not watch their flanks - I killed three tanks that were so close to each other without anyone knowing where that came from as they were fighting a target in front of them. Often I took commanders out that could not resist to watch out the hatch. Imo this was the best match I ever had with tanks.

This map was really great fun, but I have to admit it depends on the people you play with and the people you play against.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BTW if talking about dummy mods, some time ago I made for myself also a test "dummy" infantry weapons mod, with only the projectile spread removed, I used it to measure the original RO infantry weapons ballistics (and was very disapointed by the results).
Maybe I should release it too, so you can test the weapons more easily and see yourself the ballistic drop of various weapons (about twice of what is written in RO Tactical Guide). I guess I'm showing again my attitude against TWI, by just writing this ;-)
Another version of this mut after restoring the spread and removing the recoil and projetile drop (they would fly straight), could be used to see the weapon random spread (also several times higher than should be). IMPO the spread should be set to what weapon specs say (or to 1.5 of that, for example if a PPSh 41 spread was bigger than 150% of book value, the weapon was to be returned for repair). And the needed shot accuracy of auto weapons achieved by regulating the way recoil works. That'sharder than just putting large spread and needs more work to achieve good results, but gives much more realistic results IMO.
Regards.

Ok this is where I must step in and call BS. Since armor is not my area of expertise (that is Alan Wilson's) I generally stay out of the AB threads (even when you make some wild claims or slam TWI). But small arms ARE my area of expertise. The bullet drop in RO is VERY VERY close to real world numbers. The amount of spread is also very close to what is replicated by a human firing the weapon under real world conditions. These weapons aren't clamped in a vice, so you can't just assume a spread value for those type of conditions. I personally own almost half of the weapons in game, and shoot them regularly. I also have extensive experience firing both SMGs and belt fed LMGs (including an MG42). Except for that fact that we don't model windage or the Coriolis effect, our bullet ballistics calculations come very close to government military ballistic simulation calculations.

Upvote 0
Well, I am not going to argue against the spread values too hard, because it's up to you what you are going to set as accuracy of weapon fired by humans. Some may say people should and were firing more accurate, some other that average soldier was very inaccurate. If one can be satisfied by RO fast fire accuracy, the times when he is - undisturbed - aiming very very precisely and still missing at 100m because of the spread (or at 300m with a sniper rifle, spread of 0.85m in diameter at 300m) can be frustrating.
I would only say that in my personal opinion, the random spread should reflect the weapon dispersion (technical thing), and the human errors should rather be done by tunning the recoil and weapon movement during firing. Which is unfortunately more difficult and much more time consuming than simple setting putting spread value... But I believe it's worth to do in a good FPS. The pure spread + recoil movement type of weapon modeling is from Counter Strike era...

Next thing is, when there is no adjustable rifle sights in RO yet, wouldn't it be better to zero the sights on 200m for example, than for 0m like now ? The bullet patch would be very slightly up on 100m (still smaller than head size), zeroed on 200m, and drop only then. Currently it drops from muzzle on. Does anyone fire rifles with sight set to zero (do rifles have such a setting at all) ? Or rather zero it to 100 or 200m if he have to use constant sight ?

And at last, unlike in tanks, where there is an offset between gun barrel and sight, seem for me that in firearms the sight seem to be exactly in the bore axis. Like I was aiming trough the barrel. If the sight view was shifted up by correct amount, proper zeroing of weapons would give more realistic effects... you know, two distances at which the bullet is crossing the line of ainm, near and far, and relatively flatter trajectory. But this needs coding, and zeroing the weapons on some range instead of at the muzzle, is just matter of setting some fixed addedpitch values for each weapon.

By the way, I'm not attacking or slamming TWI - can you attack someone by just stating the facts ??? (like there is error here, this is clearly wrong)
I also express my personal opinions about some aspects of your product, I say what I don't like (and sometimes what I do like). Is that attacking ? Well someone can feel it as a "slamming" but it's his problem not mine. I also often say that something could be done better (to be honest, EVERYTHING on this world could be done better) but not sure how this could be read as saying that you or TWI are too stupid to do it right. You are far better coder than me, and you could easily code everything better than is is, and better than I did or plan. But for some reasons you did not. My personal opinion about those reasons in some cases could be taken as offence, so I will not express it here. Of course reasons can be different than what I think, few words of explanation would clear this, but companies don't like to explain their reasons, so I have to stay with my opinions.... Believe or not, I have also nothing personal against any TWI member... exept one. And I think I have good reasons to not like him, because I believed and still believe he was saying/writing things that he knew were untrue - and this is something I simply don't like. Yes I know it's uncommon to don't like people because of such details, neverthless I'm untypical and I do. Untill I find that is was me who was wrong, and I misjudged someone, but it doesn't seem so far.

Returning to infantry weapons - shouldn't first few shots of MG burst be rather accurate, and the rest go (semi) randomly ? Or ALL randomly spread from the first bullet? Would it be hard to model different spread for few first rounds in the burst ? Or at least switch fire modes from single to auto only after 2-3 first bullets of a burst left the barrel ?

I surely not require the weapons to have dispersion equal to ballistic tables, but would be nice to have weapons that with calm shooting would pass the test firing/sight calibration test, and meet the required criteria for single shots (of first round in the burst), don;t you think ? Or not more that say 150% of it... Of course the man under battle condtions, supressed, afraid about his life, would usually not aim so carefully as on test firing. But are the soldiers ALWAYS supressed, there are no calm shots fired at all ??? Maybe relate the spread to the supression of the player, as many players ask for, and keep it about what a calm average or good shooter achieve for times when no one is shooting in his direction for some time, and reduce it to current values when a player is shoot at with bullets passing near ? (or even bigger dispersion, if the under MG auto fire... real soldier would even not raise his head at all with MG burst passing over his head, so player fire could be totally ineffective under such conditions, unless he's on drugs...).

(The MG mounted in a tank (coaxial) should be free of human errors and fire with almost pure dispersion, close to the specs (let's sat 1.5 of the specs from tables). But it's rather off-topic in this discussion. I posted a table of Russian DT tank machinegun dispersion from KV or T-34 tank in previous thread.)

But what bothered me much more, was the infantry weapons round ballistics. I always thought, that tank modeling is as is, because it's only addition to the primary game that is infantry fight, and the infantry weapons realism is way higher. So I was very surprised to see that even the key weapon parameters like muzzle velocity, velocity profiles and ballistic drop were not correct. Unless I'm wrong (possible) the ballistics are wrong for two easily recognisable reasons - wrong muzzle velocities because of wrong factor used during calculation of Unreal speeds, and wrong velocity profiles because of wrong balistic coefficients - at least for rifle bullets that I have checked. It's not very hard to find ballistic data or even velocity profiles for German 7.92 or Russian 7.62 rifle bullets. On average, the ballistic drop is about twice of what should be, and what is written in tactical and historical guide about the weapons.
I could make a mistake in tests, with a factor of 2, and I will check again (can post results and pictures here, no problem). Can also release this test mut, and everyone can check it on their own, are you against this maybe ? But isn't it unlikely that the ballistic drop would be correct, with incorrect muzzle velocities ? At the beginning I was not sure what the "official" scale of RO is, if a meter is equal 60.352uu or 52.48uu, because the second value was used sometimes. Now I know that official scale is 60.352 (with almost everything scaled with this, including terrain, tank models and tank shell speeds) and 52.48 is used only for one purpose (tank shell ranges), probably because of error. To my greatest amazement I saw that muzzle speeds of infantry weapons are all calculated by 52.48 factor. Now, if the terrain ranges are by 60.352, how can you get correct ballistic drop from that (without changing the gravity) ??

Kar98 bullet:

Speed=37808 // 2363 fps

DP28 bullet:

Speed=44082 // 2760 fps

2363fps is 720m/s and you mean this as Kar98 muzzle velocity. OK. Don't know if it's proper value, I seen different, but you are the expert here.
2760fps is 841m/s for DP28 velocity. OK.

But 37808uu is really just 626m/s in RO, and 44082uu is just 730m/s ! Speed is definied by distance and time. Distances in RO are by 60.352, right ? So speeds have to be too, or you get too long times. And longer time is higher ballistic drop.

I'm not so sure about the second error - wrong ballistic coefficients, as about simple physics above. But from ballistic data of 7.92 and 7.62 bullets I found on the net (some with velocity drop tables, some saying at what range bullet went subsonic) it seems the BCs used in RO are not correct and lead to excessive velocity drops.

And when checked in game, the drop seem about two times too big. I will check again, though and make exact measurements.

Maybe you projected the ballistics correctly (only had different BCs... but they can't be too different from what I found) but you don't know about the scale conversion error (60.352 vs 52.48) ? Check the code please and say what you think about bullet speed conversion to uu. Or try to disable the spread, and check if the drop is what you are expecting. This have nothing to do with native ballistic calculations, which seem to be just OK, at least for the game. It's bad muzzle velocity and BC, so bad input data.

For comparison in tank shells, the muzzle velocities were ok (calculated by 60.35), and most BCs were too low (but BC and velocity profiles of tank shells are harder to find than those of rifle bullets).

----> astat

Panther should be DEFINITELY easy target for 76mm from the side. It is designed to be so (in the mod). It has now 55mm of side hull armor simulated (was 60mm) so it should be easy to penetrate from up to 1000m. But 30deg of additional angle would increase protection to almost 70mm, to 95 mm at 45deg, and you can't penetrate it at 60deg additional angle (so firing 30deg from the front) because it becomes over 160mm... The side turret factor is 47mm.

In the future, the Russian shells will have lower slope modifiers so it wouln't be that bad. Well the whole armor modeling will be more advanced, currently this is only "armor factor" so trated as vertical plate with protection of 55mm RHA, and generous generic slope modifier of 1.6
But if you have problems penetrating (or do you mean killing?) a Panther directly from the side (with no additional angle >20deg) from T-34/76, then something is definitely not working as it should. Personally never had problems destroying panthers from the side.

The mod is meant to be improved further. The armor and penetration values are not yet fine tuned, it's only a first approximation, just values that I would not be ashamed to use in beta version :). Currently the mod development is suspended for some time, for reasons I already described. Hopefully I will return to it at some day in near future. Now I only use computer doing historical research and developing my penetration model from time to time...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
imo penetration is working great right now. more important is that we get a skillbased possibility to stop a tank with a shot to the turret. best way would be to add a hitbox to the turret that kills the commander. right now shooting turrets its like playing russian roulette, especially if u are in a weak tank that can only penetrate the turretfront and not the hull. (t3476 vs panther or pz4 vs is2). im pretty sure that a tank will not shoot back if u kill the gunner, or disable the gun somehow.
i hope killing the gunner or ingame the commander is possible to integrate somehow.

very good work with the mutator so far!
hope u will be fit soon

mfg Arnold

Upvote 0
FIRST up i love your mut no matter what anyone says you did a bang up job and i find its much more realistic cant depend on the stupid angling trick that seems to work sometimes from any distance even an is2 from under 200 meters seems to have difficulty penetrating a slightly angled tiger from the side:eek: in stock ro of course.
I've only one complaint the fact infantry men are still able to more than 1 pansurfaust maybe you could limit even to two or something cos 3 is too unrealistic since carrying multiple objects in ro has no affect on speed, its a small issue i know heck maybe im wrong just giving my view.:)

Upvote 0
But you surely did implement a spin caused deviation, didnt you? ;)

Don't know how large (or small) the spin caused drift is for German guns... but I have data for Russian guns. For common AT guns like 76 and 85mm, the drift is close to zero at ranges that happen in RO (so up to 2000m). German guns are probably similar, so side drift comes really into play at >2000m or maybe >3000m.

85mm ZIS-S-53 BR-365

range ..... drift mils
0...2400m ... 0
2500m .... 1 (so 1.3-2.5m)
4600m .... 2 (so 4.7-9.2m)

German 88 and 75mm are probably similar... drifts in Russian guns are to the right (the projectile spins to the right).

For 100 and 122mm guns, the drift is much higher, still listed as 0 mils at 1000m, becomes 1mil at 1500m (probably about 0.55 mil and it's rounded), eee better make a table:

BR-471B

range ..... drift (mils)
0..1400m ... 0
1500m ....... 1
2300m ....... 2
3700m ....... 3
5000m ....... 3

BR-471

0 .. 700m ... 0
800m ......... 1
2000m ....... 2
3700m ....... 3
4000m ....... 3

So could make some small difference at distances above 1500m (0.8-1m drift) up to 2000m (2m drift)... but above 2000m you are not supposed to hit anything anyway with 122mm gun if realistic spread was included, well theoretically about 62% chance to hit a stationary tank (in controlled test firing) so maybe 20% in the game... So while spin caused drift woud be nice thing to have, I probably wouln't bother in a game when firing over 1000m is rare and over 2000m is rather impossible. Don't know at all how those values look for infantry weapons, but I would guess that it's unnecessary in all but long range sniping. Same for Coriolis forces (I guess only snipers at long ranges could notice some difference).

edit: after some calcs, it seems that Coriolis effect can be important for long-range (really long, or aiming to very small targets) snipers maybe, but not for tank guns. It may deflect a projectile maybe 0.6m to the right (worst case firing exactly north-south) at 2000m on european latitudes.
So I would care for Coriolis effect modeling even less than for spin caused drift. Coriolis effects are several times smaller than weapon's natural dispersion.

About the tank gun dispersion (in mod) and infantry weapons dispersion (in stock RO) , I have very strong feeling that in online play, the dispersion is independently calculated by serwer and client, and projectile paths on server and client can be in fact DIFFERENT... Maybe I should make it in a way that server calculates the shot deflection when firing, and sends this data to the client among other variables, if it's possible. This way both versions would be always the same.
I have to think about similar solution for the mod's penetration randomiser, because currently server can dice penetration above average, and count penetration, but client can randomise value below average for the same shot, and play ricoschet :-/. Have to try doing it in a way, that server calculates penetration and sends this data to the client, instead of both doing independent calculations...

(surprisingly, the 100mm gun is listed with worse accuracy than 122mm. 85mm accuracy is same as 122mm, 76mm ZIS-5 is similar too - but I suppose war production F-34 was worse).

P.S. Patch is downloading... So I have no choice and make an update too... Hmm have to do mod versions of BT-7 and Pz-34... and maybe AT guns if I have a good day. I did some minor changes in the meantime, maybe they will fix the reload bug but I'm not sure if what I changed was related to this...
I have seen the 85mm shells ignoring PzIVF2 front hull in the mod (this happened before, only now you can notice this), but I have to find yet why it happens so frequently for this tank, and much less or not at all (?!) for other tanks... If there is difference between tanks, then I think I should investigate the tank hitboxes...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I would care for Coriolis effect modeling even less than for spin caused drift.

Yes, thats the point.
But I was joking anyway. There is certainly no need at all to model anything of it in AB. Current ballistics are certainly good enough.

Except you consider giving the axis team some artillery lugers. They had a sight which shifted diagonally with increasing distances to compensate the spin drift. But I really doubt, that anybody ever used them sucessfully at maximum distance (800m). :p

Upvote 0