• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Release ArmoredBeasts 2.06 beta (update)

Just tried the latest version. It just keeps getting better & better. Nice work Amizaur. The corrected MG speed is awesome, no more "slo-mo rainbow glow stick tag". One thing though some of the MG's are not calibrated properly. The debug readout is AWESOME! Really informative, I like how it also shows the "effective" armor thickness so you see the "real" amount of armor you are trying to penetrate. The manual reload IS AWESOME! No more trying to predict what you will need next HE or AP. Now it works how it should. It's cool now I feel like I'm playing as a loader too in addition to driver/gunner. Good job.

Upvote 0
Just tried the latest version. It just keeps getting better & better. Nice work Amizaur. The corrected MG speed is awesome, no more "slo-mo rainbow glow stick tag". One thing though some of the MG's are not calibrated properly. The debug readout is AWESOME! Really informative, I like how it also shows the "effective" armor thickness so you see the "real" amount of armor you are trying to penetrate. The manual reload IS AWESOME! No more trying to predict what you will need next HE or AP. Now it works how it should. It's cool now I feel like I'm playing as a loader too in addition to driver/gunner. Good job.

Ya know???

I couldn't have said it any better myself. So I'll wholeheartedly agree. This version works a treat. :)

Upvote 0
Hi guys. Excuse me being offline for few days, but I was feeling really not well and was off-computer. Unfortunately I have more serious problems in RL now than a buggy mod.

I heard from some people that there are problems with 2.065 version, and it doesn't work for some people... I couldn't reply then, sorry.

I came to say, that I have to stop the work on the mod for some time. I can't even help you installing and running 2.065. You have to resolve the problems (if there are still any) yourself (read the server log file carefully) or just use earlier versions. I'm sure some people who resolved it, will help the rest.

Maybe some problems were caused by the fact that the 2.065 package was only and update to earlier versions. Precisely, you need the big package (2.03) and then add the 2.065 update, overwriting old files.
Sorry that I didn't mention this in readme but didn't tought about that. After all, I named the thread 2.065 update, and the filename also had "update" in the name. So you need 2.03 + 2.065 packages.

I even thought about releasing 2.055 (2.05 with fixed HE and sound bugs only) that would take me 15 minutes to make such package, but maybe the 2.065 eventually works and there is no need for that ?

I'm considering two options now. One is that I'm taking a break for few weeks (maybe shorter, maybe longer). Untill I resolve my health problems. Noting life-threatening... but really life-daunting...
Second option is that I still make some work, from time to time, and may even release it from time to time to public. We'll see. But those would not be release online versions (for setting on servers and playing online games).

They would work only in practice mode. I was going to make big changes to armor modeling and penetration formulas now, but have really no energy to resolve all the server-client related problems, take care that the code works online and then test it on dedicated server for errors. It's just too time and energy consuming for me now, and too frustrating also :-(. Doing everything alone, not even having anyone that could at least write a manual or answer questions, is frustrating too. At least in my current situation.

I can improve the mod engine, but without taking care about online mode at all. You can try it in practice mode then, that's all. At least all for now.

Then again there would be two options to have it working online. If I feel better and have time, I can take all this code and modify it to make it working online.

Second option would be, that if you like what you see in practice mode, then YOU by yourself find a real Unreal coder, that takes the practice version code and do what is necessary to make it working properly online (I can help in that of course giving all info he needs). It usually takes making some replication tricks or changing a function here or there.

That's what I wanted to say. I hope last version works, if not then I'm sorry but I will not do anything with that now. (unless it's something very simple like a missing file, you can contact me on mail in such case, I will try to check the mailbox every few days). I'll check this thread about tomorrow to see if you need 2.055 maybe (in case 2.065 didn't work). And then I need some time for myself and taking an official break.

Almost forgot: to people from AHZ and DH teams, than needs me for some reasons - as I said I should be checking my email every few days and will answer. If it's something simple, like adding new tank, calculating something or discussing (only NOTHING server-client code related) then I believe I can still find some time and help you. Only you can wait few days untill I check my mail...

Regards for all,

Ami

P.S. Something interesting for you, I did few days ago, after acquiring ballistic tables of Russian 122, 100. 85 and 76mm guns. You probably know the German gun accuracy tables from GvA site ?

http://www.freeweb.hu/gva/weapons/german_accuracy7.html

http://www.freeweb.hu/gva/weapons/german_accuracy5.html

They are taken (at least most) from Jentz books and are calculated using projectile dispersion data from German ballistic tables to find probability of hit against 2.5x2m target. First there is missing entry for 75L48 gun, I found it in another Jentz book and here it is:

KwK40%2075mm%20L48%20gun%20accuracy.PNG

And of course there is no Russian gun accuracy data on GvA and really nowhere else (at least I didn't find any). To estimate accuracy of Russian guns in the mod I used few rumours I collected like "63% at 1500m against a tank target for 85mm gun" or "about 50% accuracy at 1000m in combat for T-34/76" and common sense.

Now having very detailed data about dispersion of Russian guns, I could calculate the accuracy (using same metodology and target size as in Jentz/GvA tables). Data source is also same type - both are German and Russian ballistic tables.

The calculated tables for Russian guns you can find here:

Russian%20Gun%20Accuracy%20Table.PNG

At last hard data, just as good as from GvA.

The only thing to remember would be, that Russian quality control of war production (especially behind-the-Ural production) was lower than German, also ammo quality before 1944 could be sometimes much worse than selected ammo used to make test data. So I would risk an argument, than in average Russian tank, especially before 1944 production, the difference between test data and real accuracy/penetration can be higher than for average German tank. At least in T-34 tanks - the 122mm D-25 guns were high-quality ones by Russian standards, also produced in smaller numbers (well big guns) so both quality and quality control could be better than for 76 and 85mm guns. Also crews of Is-2 tanks were all-officers with higher technical knowledge than average Russian tanker, so they could maintain, regulate and calibrate their guns and sights better. I think accuracy of 100 and 122mm guns could achieve (or be as close as average German gun) to what is calculated in those tables.

For 85 and 76mm guns that could probably vary, some pieces being as good as test ones, some much worse, and also depending on crew quality (how they maintain and regulate the gun and sights). Looking at accuracy of 76mm ZIS-5 gun, especially in comparison witj 85mm, one could also wonder that ZIS-5 (found in KVs and field guns) was maybe higher quality (but more costly in time and materials) gun than F-34 version mounted on T-34/76. I have to check the weight of both guns, that should say something...

In general, as you can see, the accuracy is worse than of high-quality German guns, but not that bad, especially surprising is 76mm ZIS-5 gun. All are much worse than KWK36 or KWK42, but some are better than KWK40 (75L48). Also note that accuracy of 88mm flak with early Pzgr. was much worse than for Tiger gun. So this could be matter of ammo design (aerodynamics, centre of mass, well just ballistics). Don't think 88mm gun quality improved during the war :) so seems that later ammo was much more accurate. On the other hand the gun is also important, as 75L48 firing almost the same projectile as 75L70 is three times less accurate. But the difference between early flak and late flak/kwk shows how important ammo design and quality can be. Best gun with poor ammo will not be accurate and vice versa... And one more interesting detail - the APBC ammo of 85, 100 and 122mm guns had better characteristics at range (and was better against sloped armor) but seem that it was a bit less accurate than AP... and with poor quality the difference could be even higher. That would partially explain why Russians used AP at all, when APBC versions seem to be better in every parameter (and not much more costly in production, with only ballistic windscreen over blunt AP body).
And the tables give much much more very interesting details. The difference between AP and APBC profiles is now visible at last. It is not in Russian Battlefield penetration data for 122mm. Probably there is something wrong there, some errors maybe. You can also see that firing from 100 and 122mm guns was much more complicated than from "normal" 76 and 85mm tank guns - more corrections needed, more complicated ballistics, even though trajectory is not higher than for other guns. Coaxial MG accuracy table for ZIS-5 gun (probably KV tank). Beside the tables, in the book, there is much info about gunsights, HE ammo effectivenes and effective range of the burst, the firing and aiming procedures and many more. I posted some pictures in previous thread, for example pictures showing Tsh-1x gunsight reticle size and how to estimate range to target.

I will analyse those data (slowly now...) and try to use it in the future in improving realism. And I can trade them for German ballistic tables ;-) (or for an IS-2 technical manual, similar like Romanian T-34/85 repait and maintainance manual that can be found on emule).

But now I must go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- Muzzle speed and ballistic coefficients of tank MGs were corrected.
Muzzle speed is calculated wrong in RO for all infantry weapons. It's worth
noting that both speed and ballistic coefficients for many infantry weapons
(like k98, Mosin, MG-34/42) are also too small, those two things together makes
projectiles too slow and having ballistic drop two times more than they
should... Most of infantry weapons ballistics (especially MGs and rifles) are
completly wrong...

Is it really true? It may explain why MG's felt very stupid after the mod. Will we ever see a mod correcting this issue?

Upvote 0
Yeah it's true, the bullets do not have the correct speed - if the uu to metres a TWI dev mentioned is correct. Amizaur increased the speed of the tank mg-bullets.
This can be corrected, but it is a lot of work - because of the many classes that are involved.
You do not need coding skills for changing these values, so maybe I'll look into it sometime.

Upvote 0
Hi guys. Excuse me being offline for few days, but I was feeling really not well and was off-computer. Unfortunately I have more serious problems in RL now than a buggy mod.

Amizaur- please take care of yourself, nothing is more important than that, especially a buggy mod!!!! No excuse necessary, here is hoping you will feel much better soon and my apologies for not seeing this post sooner.

Upvote 0
Played in a server with this mod for about 2 hours today and there were few little things that made me: :(

- "ghost turret" -turret rotates by itself when you enter the turret and you can't reload. Getting out etc. didn't fix the can't reload thing.
- Tigers backside seemed to invincible to T-34/76 at 100m and less (penetration at point blank), the sides were quite vulnerable
- I shot five times to the backside of a PzIVF2 at 150m, last shot put it on fire. Didn't have a chance to finish it as I got oneshotted by someone else.

Apart from these things, it was fun although the server was quite empty.

Upvote 0
Welt please read this thread http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18719
than download this version there is also training map. Enable debug mode that you'll know what angle is it and what you need angle to penetrate. Shooting to Tiger by 76.2mm must have very good angle (0-10deg) so next time consider in what tank you are and what armor has enemy tank. I destroyed many times by 76.2mm in AB shooting by one shot.

Upvote 0
Played in a server with this mod for about 2 hours today and there were few little things that made me: :(

- "ghost turret" -turret rotates by itself when you enter the turret and you can't reload. Getting out etc. didn't fix the can't reload thing.

The dead turret is fixed.... and... in the docs for AB 2.065, It tells you that you must hit the "R" key to reload.

- Tigers backside seemed to invincible to T-34/76 at 100m and less (penetration at point blank), the sides were quite vulnerable
- I shot five times to the backside of a PzIVF2 at 150m, last shot put it on fire. Didn't have a chance to finish it as I got oneshotted by someone else.

Yes, the armor of ALL the tanks in RO has been brought up to specs for era...

Apart from these things, it was fun although the server was quite empty.

ArmoredBeasts v 2.065 is, without a doubt,, a large step into true Tanking reality for WW2. Its performance has breathed new life into the platform.

I like AB - I use AB and I have it installed on ALL of our servers.

Upvote 0
The dead turret is fixed.... and... in the docs for AB 2.065, It tells you that you must hit the "R" key to reload.
Duh, I know that there is a manual reload. Still, it didn't reload no matter what I did.

Yes, the armor of ALL the tanks in RO has been brought up to specs for era...
I can understand the Tiger part (refreshed my mental image of Tigers armor and saw that it wasn't 60mm as I used to think), but the 20mm of PzIVF/2 rear shouldn't resist a 76 shell even at 2000m.

Upvote 0
Welt penetration of armor doesn't decide from how many shells it blow up the tank. After penetration shell can hit nothing or do some small damages and you could have the same situation, it was very unlucky or you just missed. Many players are now complaining that their tank are destroying too early by one shoot. When I shoot at tank and its penetration its very rarely that he'll be still alive but if yes he is very lucky. Please download this version what I gave you and launch training map on practice mode. You'll see how easy is to destroy the tank.

Upvote 0