• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

North Africa/Siciliy/Italy Mod

DiedTrying

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
USA Prime Credit
Are there any plans for this theater of operations in a mod for RO2?

They are some of my favorite campaigns with interesting and intense battles.

Some Pros

1. Different atmosphere from Russia (especially NA)
2. Similar equipment that can be used in all 3 campaigns
3. Plethora of map options from all 3 theaters that can be do infantry only or combined arms

Some Cons

1. Extra skinning for the 3 campaigns ie desert camo, khaki, rain ponchos. However very little in regards to uniforms were changed from North Africa to Sicily. Would have to make desert uniforms/camo, rugged desert/hybrid camo for sicily, and for late italy campaign you'll need more winter gear.

2. Some parts of italy may be similar to other european towns seen in Darkest Hour.

----

Feel free to chime in :)

It's a shame the majority of us who worked on 'Mare Nostrum' moved onto 'In Country: Vietnam' and there are no plans to move Mare Nostrum over to HOS. We had plans to include Sicily and Mainland Italy for MN but time/team constraints meant this wasn't possible.

However hopefully there are some people out there who be able to translate the spirit and vision of Mare Nostrum for RO2 under a different name. I would love to see this happen :IS2:

Upvote 0
It's a shame the majority of us who worked on 'Mare Nostrum' moved onto 'In Country: Vietnam' and there are no plans to move Mare Nostrum over to HOS. We had plans to include Sicily and Mainland Italy for MN but time/team constraints meant this wasn't possible.

However hopefully there are some people out there who be able to translate the spirit and vision of Mare Nostrum for RO2 under a different name. I would love to see this happen :IS2:

darkest hour 2: the italian front :IS2:

Upvote 0
Are there any plans for this theater of operations in a mod for RO2?

They are some of my favorite campaigns with interesting and intense battles.

Some Pros

1. Different atmosphere from Russia (especially NA)
2. Similar equipment that can be used in all 3 campaigns
3. Plethora of map options from all 3 theaters that can be do infantry only or combined arms

Some Cons

1. Extra skinning for the 3 campaigns ie desert camo, khaki, rain ponchos. However very little in regards to uniforms were changed from North Africa to Sicily. Would have to make desert uniforms/camo, rugged desert/hybrid camo for sicily, and for late italy campaign you'll need more winter gear.

2. Some parts of italy may be similar to other european towns seen in Darkest Hour.

----

Feel free to chime in :)

Excelente idea.

Upvote 0
Finally somebody mention this out loud...... So many announcements and ideas. Some of these better join up to possibly release something.

Heh, took my guys a long time to announce as we hate vapoware. We also hate having to put out updates with clay renders.... just starts looking like the 1000's of mods on Mod.db that have few clays and then just die in a few weeks.

Upvote 0
More is Good

More is Good

I belong to the 7th Cavalry Tactical gaming clan and as a large clan that does monthly operations the ability to play in other theaters would be great. I know we will mod quite a bit on the server we set up for tactical operations and matches, and though I love the russian campaign there are many other campaigns ogten ignored by game publishers. Making the skins for Shermans and other country specific equipment would really open this game up to be huge in the modding area of FPS games and the WWII Genre as a whole. I could see many of the larger clans creating entire campaigns across Europe, Africa, and the Pacific Islands very easily

Upvote 0
I could see many of the larger clans creating entire campaigns across Europe, Africa, and the Pacific Islands very easily

Campaigns have been fought in the first of those three for Red Orchestra via the Darkest Hour mod.

You probably span many games, but I recall a =7Cav= server in CoD4 a few years ago that required you to constantly aim or move crouched. I really did enjoy it and all of the members were composed and polite, not to mention good at the game.

Upvote 0
This thread makes me chuckle! It's like I remember working on a similar mod in the past...

http://www.marenostrumgame.com/team.html

Ah yes! And it only took years of work on the part of dozens of folks in the RO community to get it into its current state. We even made a lot of our assets and code available for any brave souls willing to release an MN 2.0.

The problem?

We couldn't sustain a community. There was not just a lack of casual players, but a lack of individuals willing to invest in the concept and contribute new content (I don't know how much the two go hand in hand). DH went through an even more unpolished / awkward phase... but the glam of the western front definitely came through for them in terms of a player base and then later an influx of new devs / content.

In summary - maybe people just aren't all that into North Africa? :IS2:

Last edited:
Reactions: Uurastaja and Harb
Upvote 0

+1 so would I.

Upvote 0
This thread makes me chuckle! It's like I remember working on a similar mod in the past...

http://www.marenostrumgame.com/team.html

Ah yes! And it only took years of work on the part of dozens of folks in the RO community to get it into its current state. We even made a lot of our assets and code available for any brave souls willing to release an MN 2.0.

The problem?

We couldn't sustain a community. There was not just a lack of casual players, but a lack of individuals willing to invest in the concept and contribute new content (I don't know how much the two go hand in hand). DH went through an even more unpolished / awkward phase... but the glam of the western front definitely came through for them in terms of a player base and then later an influx of new devs / content

In summary - maybe people just aren't all that into North Africa? :IS2:

I think you mostly summed it up yourself... DH went through an even more unpolished / awkward phase... but the glam of the western front definitely came through for them in terms of a player base and then later an influx of new devs / content. For some reason, the Western Front is extremely popular. Add to that, the custom Bulge maps that started to arrive really beefed up the player base for DH. Personally the DH team has done a great job, but to me the western front is so overdone. I would prefer North Africa or perhaps earlier war settings. I just think its more interesting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats why its better to invest in mod which is interesting for the most players possible. So combine mods and join forces. This would take more skinning of uniforms and some more diverse architecture but it the end it pays back as the mod have more players.

So an African theatre could easily mix up with a Western fron theatre. In ONE Mod and not three seperate mods.
If teams could join their forces this is the best result.

Upvote 0
Thats why its better to invest in mod which is interesting for the most players possible. So combine mods and join forces. This would take more skinning of uniforms and some more diverse architecture but it the end it pays back as the mod have more players.

So an African theatre could easily mix up with a Western fron theatre. In ONE Mod and not three seperate mods.
If teams could join their forces this is the best result.

It could be called "WW2"

They could combine all theaters (maybe no pacific). Would be fun going from fighting as a russian against the Fins, then get dumped off at Salerno for the next map.

But we all know that coordinating such an large community would take extreme dedication (perhaps they could learn from TWI?)

Upvote 0