• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

News Flash! RO2 Interview + some new footage!

Do I detect some sarcasm?

Answer me this. Why did regular riflemen keep pistols they found? Close up defense, of course. Why did Allied soldiers prize enemy pistols over their own? Because they were rare and were essentially trophies/souvanirs. Now imagine something as rare as a pistol with a silencer. That's a hell of a trophy.
But in Stalingrad, as one of the majority of people with a bolt-action rifle, I would see it as a life-saver first and a trophy second. And I sure as heck wouldn't want to carry around a pistol with a silencer that 1) reduces range and stopping power, and 2) reduces mobility and prevents me from holstering the weapon. It would be a total pain in the but to carry around. But I would DEFINITELY keep the pistol as a handy side arm.

Surely a soldier would think a silenced pistol would be "cool," but I would think he would first see it as a way of dealing with enemies in extremely close range firefights of urban combat in Stalingrad, and as a way of merely staying alive for an extra day longer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Surely a soldier would think a silenced pistol would be "cool," but I would think he would first see it as a way of dealing with enemies in extremely close range firefights of urban combat in Stalingrad, and as a way of merely staying alive for an extra day longer.

I would hope the silencer could be removed, like the bayonet.

Upvote 0
I'd never remove a silencer on a weapon, cause I wouldn't be losing a pistol long range anyways, more of a close quarters weapon, so I'd appreciate the lower kickback, less noise, and no flash a suppressor would bring.

Certainly the pros outweigh the cons.
Who knows, maybe the weight system (or was that not confirmed yet?)
is very unforgiving and each quarterpound is serious concern?

Upvote 0
I'd never remove a silencer on a weapon, cause I wouldn't be losing a pistol long range anyways, more of a close quarters weapon, so I'd appreciate the lower kickback, less noise, and no flash a suppressor would bring.

Certainly the pros outweigh the cons.

While you have a point most of those benefits are only really useful solo or with a small team, and during an operation that actually requires stealth. Normally a mission like this requires detailed intelligence beforehand. While one may argue that a silenced Nagant could be useful to a Soviet soldier in Stalingrad, it's highly unlikely that the situation would actually arise where 1-2 guys sneaks into a ruined building to take out a whole enemy squad or whatever it may be. Troops were rarely alone, and hardly ever when engaging in combat. It makes sense for spies/secret agents or SWAT but WWII combat doesn't exactly lend itself to the advantages of a silenced weapon, especially a pistol. It's too difficult to justify in my mind, but I won't lose any sleep.

Reactions: Schreq
Upvote 0
First time I saw this.

Bit disappointed tbh, as I'm sure others have mentioned in the 16 pages.

1. SD weapons
2. Squad Leader Spawn (we knew was in game). Having the guy spawn right in front of the player was a bit disheartening.

I think the SL spawn system is broken in the video. It's supposed to spawn the player away from the fighting, just somewhat near the SL (call it within 100-150m as a guess). Clearly, it failed to do this.

Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0
I think the SL spawn system is broken in the video. It's supposed to spawn the player away from the fighting, just somewhat near the SL (call it within 100-150m as a guess). Clearly, it failed to do this.

I haven't been on here much, so I must have missed the details on the SL spawn. I previously thought you had to be away from enemies to have players spawn on you, but this video doesn't show that.

It's an "early" version of the game anyway. Sorry if I've rehashed this topic...

Upvote 0
While you have a point most of those benefits are only really useful solo or with a small team, and during an operation that actually requires stealth. Normally a mission like this requires detailed intelligence beforehand. While one may argue that a silenced Nagant could be useful to a Soviet soldier in Stalingrad, it's highly unlikely that the situation would actually arise where 1-2 guys sneaks into a ruined building to take out a whole enemy squad or whatever it may be. Troops were rarely alone, and hardly ever when engaging in combat. It makes sense for spies/secret agents or SWAT but WWII combat doesn't exactly lend itself to the advantages of a silenced weapon, especially a pistol. It's too difficult to justify in my mind, but I won't lose any sleep.

People take Suppressor and stealth commando too much hand and hand.
How many times have you been looking around in ROOST and seen a flash and immediately killed the bugger who fired?
Well this is what a suppressed gun would save from. :Shrug: I just don't see suppressors has uber Ninja guns that are used only on foes from the shadows. I see them as something that offers many advantages that would save your life.

Upvote 0
People take Suppressor and stealth commando too much hand and hand.
How many times have you been looking around in ROOST and seen a flash and immediately killed the bugger who fired?
Well this is what a suppressed gun would save from. :Shrug: I just don't see suppressors has uber Ninja guns that are used only on foes from the shadows. I see them as something that offers many advantages that would save your life.

I've never heard of suppressed pistols being used on the front lines in WW2.

There may be "many advantages" to having a SD pistol in RO. That doesn't mean it's right historically.

Upvote 0
I never was speaking of history, I'm addressing the people that said they serve no purpose in broad daylight and were useless outside stealth.

Just saying this game tries (tried?) to be realistic, and the SD doesn't fit that mold.

but anyway, back to your point...I think I would consider flash suppression to be in the same "stealth" category as sound suppression as they both are intended to improve your survivability by making you harder to spot.

So yes, if you look at it, the suppressor really does not have any other purpose but to conceal the shooter.

Upvote 0