• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics New Firebug weapon tactics

Not quite... if you want to power level Firebug, stick with a Flamethrower. The Mac 10s power comes from decapping. It remedies the situation where a foe is decapped and left to hobble around by burning them to death at the same time. If you wanted to simply burn things to death just use a Flamethrower and honestly, i'd say stick with that until lvl6 unless you want a VERY slow levelling time. Mac 10/Crossbow just makes you a powerhouse on all waves.

I figured that all pretty much went as a given. :)

Upvote 0
If you want but i class 'the higher difficulties' as just being Suicidal ><
The jump in spec number and hp is very noticable over normal to hard.

The point is, if you want Flame damage for levelling, use a Flamethrower. If you want to be a god among mere mortals use the Mac10 and Crossbow. I'm just wondering if this combo is actually better on a Sharpshooter or not...

Upvote 0
Bullet damage (IE, shooting them) does not count towards leveling. Therefore, if you decap a Clot and he dies, you get 0 fire damage. In other words, blindly shooting into a crowd is the worst way to get fire damage experience, because you'll just kill the guys in the front without them proccing entirely.

Upvote 0
I struggle to burn more than 2 with a single flame burst... it just never seems to penetrate through them when you tap it.

The irony here is that the Mac 10 effectively ruined Firebug because now there is no need to ever pickup the Flamethrower again (once lvl6) over a Crossbow. Not when you can pop off heads with each bullet then change to Xbow to help down big fellows.

Upvote 0
IMO i think the Mac-10 is for single specs; so you don't have to waste FT fuel on them.

You can kill 30 specs with 30 bullets, or line them up and kill 30 in 1 FT shot.

So the Mac is the FT's sidearm for single targets.

I guess Support could get a .410 revolver for this purpose. :)

Just wanna point out that the FT has very limited "piercing", if at all!

But i agreed that the Mac10 is the sidearm for single targets.

Also, the flame damage of the Mac10 doesn't seem to level the firebug either. At least not to me. I played with it for hours (bodyshots so the enemy burns out). No level increase whatsoever. Did the same thing with the FT after that. Then i levelled somewhat quickly.

Upvote 0
But i agreed that the Mac10 is the sidearm for single targets.

Depends on the location, really.

When playing KF-LostBoys, I took the low-accuracy spray into account when at a high place and sprayed 30 rounds into a mob of zeds from above. It distributed quite a lot of damage amongst them and this helped a team mate because she was able to kill the lot of those damaged ZEDs with one 9mm mag.

If it's a wide-area map, it's for single ZEDs, if it's a claustrophobic kind of map, it's good to spray into the ranks from the front.

It's always good to get the headshots whenver possible. Sometimes I treat it as a 9mm that has 30 rounds.

Upvote 0
My favorite combination with Mac-10.

Mac-10
Katana
Dual Handcannons
Pipes.

Firebug lvl 4.

Scrakes are non threath, because you have Katana. Take weaker specimens around Scrake, or be sure others take em.

Semi-auto shots only. For Sirens and Husks i use multifire. Nearby enemies i use couple shots for head.

Pipes are for FP situations, when needed, find a good spot for those drops. Also Dual HC are for FPs, when near.

(pretty annoying, Pipes and Mac-10 are both number 4, hope it will change)

Pretty supportive playstyle, singleshot burns. Ammo lasts pretty fine. Use a pistol to save Mac-10 ammo also.

I think Need a pretty large map, not perhaps for corridor map (havent even try).

Team Survived Hard, six men multiplayer wave 10 with that combination.

Great weapon and fun to play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pretty much solo'd a 6 man Suicidal as a lvl 6 firebug sniping with a mac 10(single shot) on KF-Farm

they will burn to death before they get to you

1 body shot will drop a:
clot
gorefast
crawler

2 body shots will drop a:
stalker

because its bugged, 1 shot will ignite them but they will stay ignited and never die

3-4 body shots will drop a:
siren

maybe 5-6 depending on how close it is

1 headshot will drop a:
bloat

you could kill them with body shots but it will take way too much ammo

its best not to shoot scrakes/fleshpounds/husks:
1 body shot to a fleshpound will cause enough burn damage to make him rage
shooting a husk will ignite him making his position known yes, but he will not take nearly enough damage to kill him
shooting a scrake will send him into a burn animation but you risk raging him

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...on Beginner solo, a level 6 Firebug could theoretically kill 300 Scrakes in 45 seconds, without picking up extra ammo, or getting headshots. That is, if they had perfect control of the recoil, and there were 300 Scrakes.
It's interesting, how much power this gun has, when you make full use of the burning damage.

Burning damage does not stack.

To get the most damage for your ammo, shoot everything once, and let it burn. If the fire goes out and it's still alive, shoot it once more. To shoot a burning target with a MAC10 is to forfeit the incendiary damage of that shot.

I'm not sure if the burning duration gets reset with subsequent shots, but I'd wager a guess that it doesn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...on Beginner solo, a level 6 Firebug could theoretically kill 300 Scrakes in 45 seconds, without picking up extra ammo, or getting headshots. That is, if they had perfect control of the recoil, and there were 300 Scrakes.
It's interesting, how much power this gun has, when you make full use of the burning damage.

Burning damage does not stack.

To get the most damage for your ammo, shoot everything once, and let it burn. If the fire goes out and it's still alive, shoot it once more. To shoot a burning target with a MAC10 is to forfeit the incendiary damage of that shot.

I'm not sure if the burning duration gets reset with subsequent shots, but I'd wager a guess that it doesn't.

Seriously have people forgotten the Flamethrower exists or something?

If all you care for is making things burn out, which is a stupid tactic because it was EXACTLY the reason the Flamethrower was a below average weapon, then the Mac 10 is the wrong choice. The Flamethrower will preserve all burning damage for levelling and allow you to flame down an entire corridor of specimens if you need to. The Mac 10 would let you burn them out then if they start to get too close you have to shoot them again and lose even more fire damage.

If you want to focus on trying to HEADSHOT specimens with the bullet and letting the burning damage take care of the bleedout, then you have a reason to be using the Mac 10.

The biggest advantage the Mac 10 has for burning is simply its maximum range which generally isn't much of an advantage on maps that aren't Farm.

Upvote 0
Where is everyone getting this high recoil factor from?
The sights are there for a reason. Move down with the mouse ever so slightly while firing down the the sights in full auto and it barely moves.

When you're trying to kill a Scrake who has raged, 5 bullets won't do. Indeed, 47 bullets won't do. But putting out 47 bullets and reloading sure feels a lot safer than putting out 5 accurate bullets.

Upvote 0