• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator] Modded Specimen Mechanics

Basically copy and paste that code into the zed classes like ZombieClot and ZombieBloat

If you need to know sub-classes are all classes that extend a parent class, like so ZombieClot extends ZombieClotBase (Parent of ZombieClot) which extends the class KFMonster (Parent class of ZombieClotBase) and so on

Or he wants you to make something like a new base class that extends KFMonster then make all zeds extend from that custom class

Like this my friend? As an example for one of the specimens.

Spoiler!

I added the fix at the end.

If I do this for all the specimens and then hosts a dedicated server, would it be fixed than?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I cant get the monsers to show in my server? do I have to alter the ini? ty

p.s. I will pay to have someone mod my server please pm me or emal me at [email protected] ty again!

Make sure the ini file has "true" next to whatever specimens you want to replace. Double check in webadmin panel or mutator configuation page.

Upvote 0
I'm running this mutator on my server alongside Scrn Balance and Doom 3, and noticed that Fleshpounds that spawn after Wave 7 seem to take signifigantly lower damage. Just curious if this was intentional, or a bug of some sort?

(I'm not using the FPs 'secret ability' btw).

This "bug" *cough* should not be present in sandbox mode or 7+ player server without the secret ability enabled.

Upvote 0
I'm running this mutator on my server alongside Scrn Balance and Doom 3, and noticed that Fleshpounds that spawn after Wave 7 seem to take signifigantly lower damage. Just curious if this was intentional, or a bug of some sort?

(I'm not using the FPs 'secret ability' btw).

IIRC "Secret ability" is always on for regular games with player count <= 6 no matter of config setting.
Tbh "Secret ability" is silly. It ends up like "Omg I killed FP with xbow. Now it became useless".

Upvote 0
IIRC "Secret ability" is always on for regular games with player count <= 6 no matter of config setting.
Tbh "Secret ability" is silly. It ends up like "Omg I killed FP with xbow. Now it became useless".

Ugh, that really is silly. If I'd known about that I don't think I'd have enabled FPs in the first place. I love the rest of the mechanics too..

Upvote 0

Ugh, that really is silly. If I'd known about that I don't think I'd have enabled FPs in the first place. I love the rest of the mechanics too..

So instead of killing the fp with the xbow, put 3 bolts in and finish it off with one of the pistols. Getting around this requires you try things that you wouldn't normally do.

I will change the switch to "Disable fp secret ability" and it will be an override.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So instead of killing the fp with the xbow, put 3 bolts in and finish it off with one of the pistols. Getting around this requires you try things that you wouldn't normally do.

I will change the switch to "Disable fp secret ability" and it will be an override.

One moment it takes normal damage, the next it has damage resistance. I don't think that's a fair mechanic. At least not on my server.

I don't use the crossbow most of the time. I use the M14 or one of the other rifles on my server. This mechanic makes anything but crossbow nonviable. That's not requiring you to try things you wouldn't normally do, it's locking you into one play-style.

Couple double FP spawns with bosses that have 30k+ HP and I can't justify leaving it turned on.

If you change that to an override though, I'll turn it back on in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0
One moment it takes normal damage, the next it has damage resistance.
Maybe add another option to update the secret ability only after the current wave has ended? Fleshpounds are not so bright, so they need a minute to learn new things.

After reading a thread about kiting Pat, I have a couple of suggestions.

• Make Pat push away or insta-gib other zeds when charging by overriding Bump() inside the Charging state, similar to how it's done in the ZombieFleshpound.RageCharging.Bump() function.

• Make Pat ignore green stuff when charging. This has to do with an AvoidMarker that is spawned by the MedicNade class and the KFMonsterController.FearThisSpot() function.

Upvote 0
Maybe add another option to update the secret ability only after the current wave has ended? Fleshpounds are not so bright, so they need a minute to learn new things.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but that's not the problem. The FPs on Wave 7 spawn without damage resistance, but as soon as it hits 8 they take 1/5th the damage. It's inconsistent.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but that's not the problem. The FPs on Wave 7 spawn without damage resistance, but as soon as it hits 8 they take 1/5th the damage. It's inconsistent.
I thought the problem was specifically the secret ability, and if it wasn't, then nevermind. What I suggested was to add new extraResistantType only after the wave has ended, which would allow players to use a damage type for a whole wave and not only to kill a single fleshpound before the damage type becomes useless.

Upvote 0
Anyway, the fact that shooting one FP makes another resistant, looks silly for me. Yes, I can understand that this somehow could force to use different techniques of killing KF, but it is so illogical and make game more annoying than challenging.

How about this: FP gains 75% resistance to any further damages of the same type. Resistances should be local for each FP (not shared between them).
For example, first xbow headshot deals 1005 damage, 2nd and subsequent - 251. To make efficient kill team needs to use various weapons, e.g. 1 xbow shot, 1 HC, 1 Musker, 1 M14 etc. Throwing hand nade and detonating it with M79 directly on the pipe when FP walks over it still will make huge damage while spamming M32 just makes him angry.
And as I said, this should apply on every FP individually. Shooting 1 FP doesn't give damage resistance to another.

Upvote 0
Anyway, the fact that shooting one FP makes another resistant, looks silly for me. Yes, I can understand that this somehow could force to use different techniques of killing KF, but it is so illogical and make game more annoying than challenging.

How about this: FP gains 75% resistance to any further damages of the same type. Resistances should be local for each FP (not shared between them).
For example, first xbow headshot deals 1005 damage, 2nd and subsequent - 251. To make efficient kill team needs to use various weapons, e.g. 1 xbow shot, 1 HC, 1 Musker, 1 M14 etc. Throwing hand nade and detonating it with M79 directly on the pipe when FP walks over it still will make huge damage while spamming M32 just makes him angry.
And as I said, this should apply on every FP individually. Shooting 1 FP doesn't give damage resistance to another.

Ah, so that's how it works. It's not explained anywhere, so I just assumed it was blanket damage resistance. This being the case, I definitely think your suggestion would be the better mechanic.

I thought the problem was specifically the secret ability, and if it wasn't, then nevermind. What I suggested was to add new extraResistantType only after the wave has ended, which would allow players to use a damage type for a whole wave and not only to kill a single fleshpound before the damage type becomes useless.

No, my mistake. I was working off the assumption that the damage resistance was blanket, and not based on damage type. I hadn't had time to check the code, and nothing in all of my games with Super FP enabled suggested this might be the case. :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The secret ability doesn't seem any more annoying to me than other super zeds' abilites. As a specimen mechanic, global resistance makes as much sense as local.

If global resistance is going to be left unchanged, I'd suggest adding either a server-side visual or sound effect for all players or a client-side HUD indicatior only for the instigator when a fleshpound takes damage that is affected by the secret ability. If a team watches multiple sides when camping, this could help avoid confusion when a fleshpound is killed on one side and other players don't know what killed it. And even if I'm aware of the secret ability, I can't be sure if some weapons don't share the same damage type, or if the mutator treats them as being the same, without in-game testing or checking the code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, I think I understand how this mechanic works now, but as it stands now how does it affect players' damage as the waves advance? If everyone continues to use the same weapons, and they've all fired on the Fleshpound, does the scope of the resistance simply expand to include all damage types, until the specimen has 75% resistance to every damage type in use?

This being the case, I think Poosh's suggestion starts to make more and more sense. Not only because I don't see how one specimen could learn and adapt from one that spawned on an entirely different wave, but in terms of keeping the mechanic reasonably fair.

But maybe I'm wrong. I haven't played enough games knowing the mechanic existed to develop tactics specifically for dealing with it.

Upvote 0
This mechanic was only intended for a normal KF game, hence it auto disabling for sandbox and 7+ player games. However, I did not consider servers that were running Scrn Balance or other game play mutators that altered the game play while still using a standard game length with 6- players. Hence, in hindsight, the switch should have been master override as opposed to trying to guess if a normal game was being played.

Upvote 0