• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Modernish Realism Mod (Yet to be Named) Looking for staff/support

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    I'm currently shopping around for some free hosting to get this project started. However for those of you who don't already know I am starting a project for UT3 or other UE 3 title. I have worked on both Red Orchestra and Troopers: Dawn of Destiny, both realism games (if you haven't played Troopers 6 you don't get to talk :p). I enjoy playing these games and feel the one area where gamers are currently getting shafted is in the modern theater of war.

I feel the Rainbow 6 series has dropped the ball so to speak with it's realism community, and the Armed Assault series while wonderful, is a bit too expansive for some tastes. It's why some people like RO over Arma, and ArmA over RO, and some like both. However I feel the good ol' urban tactical gameplay we all grew up with in the modern theater has been left in the dust so to speak.

I would like to revive this and as such I am looking to put together a core team of staff and volunteers to help kick this project off the ground (and maybe help me think up a non crappy name).

Needed:

Webpage Designer: We need a webpage, simple as that. If you think you are up to the task, or even if you aren't and want to wrap your head around some good ol webpage fun, let me know and we'll talk.

Coder: Currently looking for Gametype/Gameplay Coder. Experience with Uscript is a + but not vital. To start we need to get a gametype up and running and a few variable's tweaked. I plan for a simple but polished as hell first build, and then building from there (replacing and upgrading systems as we go along).

3d Modelers - Ever moddeled an AK/M16 in your spare time? Let me know. We are looking for experience modelers for weapons, and not so experienced for some environment work.

Texture Artist - Self explanitory. Those models won't texture themselves, and not all modellers like to/can texture.

Mappers - We are looking for experienced Unreal Editor users. Those who have dabbled with Ued 4 are a definte bonus.

Animator - Weapon models and players won't animate themselves, so we need a or multiple animators for both jobs.

For now just PM me here in the forums. But hopefully I'll have a website up soon and can post an e-mail address for contact.

See, I love modern combat, and I find all the current offerings lacking. Including America's Army and their what I call "who fires first bull ****". If you don't know what that is. They have a similiar system to the first BiA where if somebody is shooting at you, your bullets don't go where you aim them. So the odds are the person who opens fire first will hit first eventually.

Upvote 0
    but AA is the only game where i have seen supressive fire working, i didn't know about that aim thing before. all i know is that when i was fired at that i just ran for cover.
    and that firing the machine gun in the general direction of the enemy was enough to keep them down, and firing an MG didn't get you insta-killed like in most actual games including RO.
    but anyways you always seemed to have good ideas, how would you deal with the problem that players don't fear for their virtual life in your game project?

Upvote 0
    2 things of note:

1) Thanks to Waxx, the name of the mod team is now Kinderparty Studios.

2) Sepp the reason I think AA get's fear of death done is due to it's one spawn gametype. I am planning a similar gametype for the first release, however I would also like to explore a more ROish gametype and have some ideas to test to see if we can get a greater Fear of Death in such a situation.

Upvote 0
    I'm afraid I have nothing resembling modeling or coding skills, but I could perhaps help map. Also, I could provide research support for weapons... not that that would be very difficult for a modern mod... but things like ROF, different firing modes, you know- the stupid little details like that. (That really piss you off when games get them wrong)

Upvote 0
    like I stated in you other thread, I have some experience in making models, and I also have a little skill in texturing. since it seems like you're actually going to go through with this, I think I might be interested in helping you out. let me just warn you though, I've yet to build up the motivation to complete a model, apart from an AK-74 I made years ago out of primitives. that was a work of love. :eek:

Upvote 0
    If I may suggest a name or scenario, how about Air Cavalry :confused:

We all have seen the Vietnam movies but the mod doesn't have to be a Vietnam mod but I always liked the concept of combining the fast helicopters with normal infantry. (Choppers are cool :cool:)

You could make an modern version of the Air Cavalry where the big army (assuming it will be the Army of a first world country versus Terrorists ) has choppers and spawns in them or flies over them map and can shoot out of them.

And also can you link the forums on which you asked for support? (I am interested in other opinions)

Upvote 0
    what i don't like in modern combat games is the "look at me! i am a hero i do so much bodybuilding that i look like hulk and i am afraid of nothing" -factor :)
    thats why i like ww2 games like RO, because in RO you are a piece of **** and your life is worth absolutely nothing. so you don't play the wise-guy.

but maybe that is proper to modern combat, these days they all wear these "look at me!" uniforms with sunglasses, and gone are the battles where you lose thousands of men in a few days. while i hope you won't go for a special forces game, i can't find many modern scenarios to use that could make a great "combat" game. with great combat i mean, with 2 more or less equal forces fighting each other. and if it would be an iraq game, you will need to add a third firing mode to the iraqi team: running and firing at the enemy while holding rifle above your head, and the rpg guy should randomly fire off his weapon at the worst possible moments :D scaring the **** out of his teammates who would start cussing and yelling at him in arab!

Upvote 0
    Well I can pretty much confirm I've got hosting now, just need to get a webpage up there. And as to anybody interested in helping, I don't mind if you are new to the modding experience. One of the joys of modding is growing your skills. And for the first release, what I have in mind is very tame.

2 to 4 weapons, a game type, 2 player models (maybe, depends if we can find a solid player modeler and animator. If not I do not mind borrowing from the base game as a temporary solution), and at least 2 good maps. And I want that content to be polished off and solid. I've learned quite a few lessons over the years, and releasing a broken mod even as a first release is bound to just get people to drop interest.

And the best part about doing modern, is I have a great reference for researching guns. Friend of mine's dad is a range master at the Scottsdale Gun Club (google it if you have to). They have many automatics available for rental (research) and I'm going to get in contact with him and see if he'll allow me to photograph and record the weapons in detail.

Once again to the interested mappers, I have a general scale to use if you would like to start blocking out some prototype in UT3. Talk to me in IRC or pm for more details.

I am going to attempt the prototyping of the gametype with the help of some better coding friends unless one of them decides to come onboard and help.

Upvote 0
    Fear of death Yosh, thats where its at.

Hit detection, its done quite well in RO, thumping heart beats, heavy breathing, a little motion blur (not to much) all things to let you know that if you don't get outa there soon you're done for.

Some form of healing available (no, not health packs) is welcome.
    All modern fighting men have some pickmeups in their little box of magic.
    Nothing worse than getting the job done and then having to crawl the last 300 yards to the finishing line because some unnamed bad guy with a sawn off shotgun took your legs away (tis but a game).

If you are going for 1 spawn only,(not to be confused with 1shot-1kill) that =s Hard core gaming, I mean really.
    Small tight maps ?

Modern Combat, what you got in mind, like modern combat "war situation" or modern combat "call zee cop's.

FearFactorFive.
    Beats OB1KN

Upvote 0