• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Marksman rifle

Oooooh sweet Jesus. Now if we can dual wield these, this game will be complete!
:IS2:

I think I forgot to say that Mkb42's equipped with ZF41's would be EXTREMELY rare, so rare infact that adding it to the game would justify adding this as-well:
pav6-12.jpg

;)

Upvote 0
I would also like to add, who cares about more weapons? As long as the ones that 99.9999999999999999% of the soldiers used are in the game, who cares about rare experimental prototypes, why is everyone so materialistic in shooter games? I mean in Ostfront whenever someone drops a pistol half the team charges into the open to pick it up and gets mowed down by machine guns.

Upvote 0
If you scramble out into the open to grab a pistol you wont be able to use it for long anyway, dead men can't shoot.

Indeed, and don't get me wrong, as a rifleman i'd take any pistol i came across aswell, it certainly can't hurt to have one, but running out in to allmost certain death for one? What good is it to me if i'm dead?

Upvote 0
The more rare weapons the better. As long as it theoretically could have been used I see no problem in including it, Provided, that only a hero class gets to use it and the average player will use it maybe 1 time in 20 hours play time and see it very rarely.
The whole point is that it reflects its rarity in real life, yet it is a nice little addition that you will feel excited about using when you get the rare chance.

The G41 and the Mb whatever should definetely be included and anything of that ilk , I would say the line starts to blur at say the FG42 seeing as 50 were made at that time and were still being tested in the factory. Its not inconceivable that Fg42 was used by some german soldier somewhere in jan 1943. Anything that was designed after feb 1943 is just out no matter what, anything before....well whos to say?

Another interesting addition could be the beretta 1938 submachine gun. Produced and used by Italy, it found its way into the hands of many german soldiers and was quite a nice little gun.

I know many history buffs would almost die if they saw an early model fg42 in game, but, since if implemented correctly you would only see/experience it every 20 hours game time, its not going to give you TOO many coronary infarctions. Its a neat addition to enhance play value, give a little flavour to the game and make being a hero give you access to some truly rare items. :)

Upvote 0
While I'm completely fine with the AVT-40 and can (barely) tolerate the Mkb42's inclusion, I almost feel that they should be limited even for the hero class, i.e. they can only spawn with it once every three spawns at the most. Otherwise, every time the hero dies, someone will pick up his weapon and it will be possible for one team, after the hero respawns, to have two or even three Mkb42s, which would definitely break immersion. Think of all the times in RO:O when an inexperienced enemy sniper gets himself killed many times in quick succession, and suddenly your team is pinned down by three or four snipers who salvaged the dropped rifles. Either make the Mkb42 impossible to pick up by anyone other than a hero, or limit its use even for the hero himself.

Honestly, however, I feel that a true veteran would choose to continue using the weapon he has been carrying through several battles over learning to use a completely new weapon. I for one will keep my trusty MN 81/30 or k98 if I ever have the good fortune to reach the hero class. Call me crazy, but it would just feel more natural. :) Besides, I'll be more experienced with that weapon anyway: weapon exp bonuses + hero bonuses = :IS2:

Upvote 0
The more rare weapons the better. As long as it theoretically could have been used I see no problem in including it, Provided, that only a hero class gets to use it and the average player will use it maybe 1 time in 20 hours play time and see it very rarely.
The whole point is that it reflects its rarity in real life, yet it is a nice little addition that you will feel excited about using when you get the rare chance.

The G41 and the Mb whatever should definetely be included and anything of that ilk , I would say the line starts to blur at say the FG42 seeing as 50 were made at that time and were still being tested in the factory. Its not inconceivable that Fg42 was used by some german soldier somewhere in jan 1943. Anything that was designed after feb 1943 is just out no matter what, anything before....well whos to say?

Another interesting addition could be the beretta 1938 submachine gun. Produced and used by Italy, it found its way into the hands of many german soldiers and was quite a nice little gun.

I know many history buffs would almost die if they saw an early model fg42 in game, but, since if implemented correctly you would only see/experience it every 20 hours game time, its not going to give you TOO many coronary infarctions. Its a neat addition to enhance play value, give a little flavour to the game and make being a hero give you access to some truly rare items. :)

Don't know why so many people voted down your post BATTERIES, I basically share the same view as you on this matter. The more weapons that people get to play around with the happier they should be, as long as these weapons aren't out of the time frame, which means that there should atleast be a minute chance that they could've been present at Stalingrad. And so far no weapon which couldn't possibly have been there has been included.

Reactions: BATTERIES
Upvote 0
But 99.999999% of soldiers did not use MKB's or AVT's, they should focus on getting the standard weapons perfect first, I mean look at ppsh mags....

Its like saying you should add twin brothers, a guy who's missing a finger, and a guy who looks like John Travolta should be present in the game, but unlike MKB42's even those were more common.

Reactions: LemoN and jalex3
Upvote 0
And so far no weapon which couldn't possibly have been there has been included.

Incorrect, the late 1944 model PPSh-41 Type-3 is, as far as we know, still planned to be the default soviet SMG, and that weapon was not fielded till more than a year after Stalingrad ended.

And it's not rare either, we'll be seeing a lot of thouse on every map.

Reactions: samol
Upvote 0
Personally, I'm happy with adding some experimental weapons for variety and freshness, but at the same time we should also focus on the standard weapons and also not leave the time frame.

Also, people ask why others like variety? Because it prevents the game from getting stale. People like more options so that they can play around with them and if you feel tired of one gun, there is a second one to help freshen things a bit. However, I'm talking just a few guns; I'm certainly not advocating the addition of ACOG sighted pistols, or laser sighted Paunzerfausts or anything excessive like that :p

Upvote 0
Don't know why so many people voted down your post BATTERIES, I basically share the same view as you on this matter. The more weapons that people get to play around with the happier they should be, as long as these weapons aren't out of the time frame, which means that there should atleast be a minute chance that they could've been present at Stalingrad. And so far no weapon which couldn't possibly have been there has been included.

Thanks guy, I mean lets all face it. The game is going to be a great realistic ww2 fps BUT it is not going to be a simulator as some of the forum users want. So in the instance of weapons, as long as it is not completely ridiculous it could be included in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Although I largely agree with you and although I like the FG42 as a gun I don't think it should be included, a little too unlikey for my tastes. The MG42 on the other hand, DO WANT:D

Upvote 0
If you want a simulator style experience where every detail is exact well go be a re-enactor or something because I for one want to play an fps game for the sake of fps and gameplay.

Please do not take offence from what I am about to write. It is more for the sake of the argument, than real derision.

You see, judging (perhaps prematurely) from your registering date (which is Feb 2011), your arguments - to my eyes, and perhaps unjustly - carry a little bit less weight. In essence, yes, I have just expressed elitist attitude. Bear with me, however.

You've come here for HoS (I assume, I haven't run a background check on all your posts; I haven't run it at all). I suppose you could be called "one of the new people drawn in by the promise HoS holds for the FPS market" which is good, when we consider how lamented (to a certain extent; at a certain time when HoS hadn't yet been heard of) RO:OSTs hermetic player counts have been. Thus, your presence is good.

But you come in here fresh and make demands. This is perhaps something that not everyone who's been around for years expects. Perhaps someone will be hurt by the influx of new people who'd make demands that unnecessarily tinker with "their" game.

Summing up, I consider your use of the "go play in a different sandbox" argument to be hurting. From my point of view, it is you who should go to a different sandbox and play there, or - if for some reason reluctant to do that - learn to respect the rules that have been agreed on in this our current sandbox. Newcomers should understand and learn to respect the ways of their seniors, I believe (correct me if I am wrong).

[clarification: in fact, I do not consider myself part of the "elite" of these forums, seeing as I got into RO:OST a year or so after its debut; I have take the liberty of voicing this above opinion based on my temporal seniority on these forums - you are free to discard this as a brain-fart]

Upvote 0
Incorrect, the late 1944 model PPSh-41 Type-3 is, as far as we know, still planned to be the default soviet SMG, and that weapon was not fielded till more than a year after Stalingrad ended.

And it's not rare either, we'll be seeing a lot of thouse on every map.

That's a detail issue really, cause the weapon is essentially the same, we're talking about a rear sight issue here IIRC.

What I'm saying is that I have absolutely no problem seeing weapons added to this game which were present in either military during the timeframe which this game intends to span itself across.

As long as there was even the slightest chance that it could've been present at Stalingrad, then it's OK by me that they add it. This ofcourse provides that they also add the proper version of the gun, which they apparently didn't in the case of the PPSH-41.

In any case what the devs should really strive for is making the characteristics of the weapons added as realistic as possible, that is my biggest interest with this game.

Upvote 0
But 99.999999% of soldiers did not use MKB's or AVT's, they should focus on getting the standard weapons perfect first, I mean look at ppsh mags....

Its like saying you should add twin brothers, a guy who's missing a finger, and a guy who looks like John Travolta should be present in the game, but unlike MKB42's even those were more common.

I'm sure they can get the ones already added perfect just as easily wether they are going to add more weapons or not. The issue with the PPSH is small, and I'm sure it has already been corrected, so no need to worry too much about that just yet.

The whole point I'm trying to get across here is that people shouldn't complain about getting the opportunity to play around with some of the more rare weapons of the time period, instead they should be happy about it. Esp. considering that servers striving for ultimate realism will have all these rarities removed anyway.

Therefore the dev's primary concern should be to get the characteristics of the weapons added as accurately modelled as possible. The inclusion or exclusion of these weapons on each map can then be decided by the server administrators.

Last edited:
Upvote 0