• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP]TE-Coldsteel

Personally I love this map.
It has just got better and better and Drecks has taken time to expand the gameplay options whilst still making it a challenge for both sides.

He has given some real thought to protecting players as they spawn.
Something that is missing in one or two of the stock maps.

I do love the way the two sides almost collide with each other on one or two of the caps.
It gives you a very good feel the chaos of close quarter combat.
Especially the constant ebb and flow of counter attacking as teams get reinforcements from spawning.

Keep it up Drecks..;)

Upvote 0
Personally I love this map.
It has just got better and better and Drecks has taken time to expand the gameplay options whilst still making it a challenge for both sides.

He has given some real thought to protecting players as they spawn.
Something that is missing in one or two of the stock maps.

I do love the way the two sides almost collide with each other on one or two of the caps.
It gives you a very good feel the chaos of close quarter combat.
Especially the constant ebb and flow of counter attacking as teams get reinforcements from spawning.

Keep it up Drecks..;)

+1 Full Agreement. Coldsteel is by far, the most popular Custom Map on our Custom Map server. 1st class all the way.

Upvote 0
First of thanks for the "no flame" :D

Iff you followed this thread I seldom flame and never flame on constructive feedback. Thats why I listend to Danh when he pointed out the SL issue. And changed it. Further back Comraid Kaiser had good feedback to.
While making a map you have to take care on a lot of stuff and one can overlook things during the proces.

I did not want to many PPSH on the map as it has lots of closequarter and in my opinion that weapon has a huge benefit there.

I do like squad en teamwork but and I will hope players will use it on any custom maps, but unfortunatly to often many people play a TE map like they play FireFight. You see them shooting at player on positions non relevant for the team. Shouting get to the cap is useless as they play there own game.

Work as a team and use your mind as you play....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tonight was the first time I've been able to play Cold Steel without crashing. To my great frustration, Cold Steel was the only custom map I ever had trouble running. I've wanted to play it for some time as I am a big fan of Red October and bombed out factories make for some epic battles. I have to say, great job! It looks very polished and seemed to run quite well. Unfortunately, there weren't a lot of people playing when I jumped on as it was later in the evening, so I didn't really get to see how the balancing panned out. Hopefully when I get to play it next we will have a full server.

Keep up the good work, I used to map for Source engine stuff and I can appreciate all of the effort that goes into maps behind the scenes. Sorry I` don't have any constructive feedback for you this time, there just weren't many people on and by the time I downloaded the map it was halfway through. Great theme, layout seems good, looks fantastic...you're ticking all the right boxes as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
Its August 12 th now... And recieved zero, 0 nada, niente, replies on balance and gameplay. So this could mean two things. People thought it ok like it is so why bother or they did not wanted to reply as they don't care.
Positive as I am I assume balance is topnotch as we Dutch use to say. "No news is good news."

Ah, sorry I didn't have time on my hand to test in the previous days. Unfortunately, a couple of servers I play on haven't had this updated version but I did a quick run on it just now.

I have to honestly say the tweaks you've done to it are amazing. The added basement is a nice addition. The attention to detail and non linearity layout are top-notch - the map design and object placement makes sense and feel like an actual place in real life. Cold Steel is still very much my favorite custom map.

Some folks have complained on a few public servers running past iterations of the map, but they just need to learn how to attack/defend on the map accordingly. The tweaked capture zones, spawns and combat area borders are a plus though. Leaves the map open for dynamic play while maintaining fluidity older versions lacked a bit. The map has matured greatly.

A couple of oddities, not worth much but I just like to point things out. Bad habit of mine. :p

The train car here has some weird lighting issues and glows unnaturally.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

In the newly added basement area there is a small fire that has smoke emit from it but in a very bizarre way. To describe it I say it looks something akin to a glitched smoke grenade. It doesn't spread naturally or dissipate through the hallway as it probably should (which would be a nice environmental effect).

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Really looking forward to testing the latest version on a full server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its August 12th now... And recieved zero, 0 nada, niente, replies on balance and gameplay. So this could mean two things. People thought it ok like it is so why bother or they did not wanted to reply as they don't care.
Positive as I am I assume balance is topnotch as we Dutch use to say. "No news is good news." :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I don't see what else there is to say other than make a fake attempt at nitpicking the map to death.

Upvote 0
I have to honestly say the tweaks you've done to it are amazing. The added basement is a nice addition. The attention to detail and non linearity layout are top-notch - the map design and object placement makes sense and feel like an actual place in real life. Cold Steel is still very much my favorite custom map..

I like detailed maps and I like good performance. At first people complained about empty halls but during the proces I was seeking what the engine could handle and decided to add the fancy stuff later.

Thanks for the feedback.
Some folks have complained on a few public servers running past iterations of the map, but they just need to learn how to attack/defend on the map accordingly. The tweaked capture zones, spawns and combat area borders are a plus though. Leaves the map open for dynamic play while maintaining fluidity older versions lacked a bit. The map has matured greatly.

People complain to soon sometimes. Give all maps and especcially custom maps some time to learn your way around. This will make the game experience better. And another advice to them is post your complains, advice and suggestions to the author. Again this will make your game experienece better. Your advice to turn objective B is an example.
It worked out fine.

A couple of oddities, not worth much but I just like to point things out. Bad habit of mine. :p

The train car here has some weird lighting issues and glows unnaturally.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

In the newly added basement area there is a small fire that has smoke emit from it but in a very bizarre way. To describe it I say it looks something akin to a glitched smoke grenade. It doesn't spread naturally or dissipate through the hallway as it probably should (which would be a nice environmental effect).

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Really looking forward to testing the latest version on a full server.

I noticed the weird lightning in the train and in one of the buildings.
It glows. Possibly a setting in the mesh. But i have seen it in stockmaps to.

The smoke in the basement is my attempt to make an own emitter. The goal was a slow moving smoke. Which you see when a fire just died and a pile of rubbles still smokes. It might need some work. Slowly it will fill that part of the basement some more. All stock smoke emotters moved way to fast and looked weird in the basement.

I combined it with the dust/smoke emitter from Barracks. Which is visible in the basement now and then.

Againt thanks for the feedback and see you on the battlefield.

Upvote 0
It was more as I was curious how the tweaks turn out for that release.

This cause people complained it was so hard for the Germans and people even said they did not get to see parts of the maps as they did not get any further playing as Germans.

But its done now. I'm chilling now.

Keep in mind, that there are a few players here who feel extremely slighted should they perceive you (or anyone else) favoring the Russians. I figure they are just outlyers and should be disregarded.

Upvote 0
It was more as I was curious how the tweaks turn out for that release.

This cause people complained it was so hard for the Germans and people even said they did not get to see parts of the maps as they did not get any further playing as Germans.

But its done now. I'm chilling now.

Ahhh..... the map plays just fine! Job well done.

Upvote 0
I've had no problem with p1 -- ran great for me.

Thanks. Will run it again later when I can get some more people in / more time to see if it is just me having the issue. I had just been playing B10 before uploading P1. B10 I had no issues with.
If sure the map is up to its usual QA standards and its just me having a whooore of a day.

Upvote 0