• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Killing Floor now has steam trading cards

nd2spd

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2011
Vic Australia
www.facebook.com
hUhnPLT.jpg

Bigger image:
Spoiler!

What does everyone think? :D

Actually I just had a thought, and I'm not gonna edit my previous post cause I am lazy.

In the two Free to Play games on Steam that have trading cards (DOTA 2 and TF2) the player earns more cards as they buy more personal items to customize themselves through micro transactions, such as hats, nametags, armor, etc. IE when you buy something that adds nothing to gameplay, you get more cards.

I know this system currently isn't implemented in Killing Floor, but I really don't see why it couldn't be. How is buying a pack of new characters who offer NO stat boosts different from buying a hat that offers NO stat boosts? I mean, understandably you couldn't give people progress towards more card drops on gameplay oreinted DLC (ie the community weapon packs), but this still seems somewhat strange that this system isn't oriented considering just how much Cosmetic Item related DLC is in this game.

So this makes me wonder; does Valve just straight out deny you being able to do that unless your game is free to play, or did Tripwire think that wasn't necessary?

Upvote 0
They seem pretty good. Awesome to have a picture of all of the ZEDs.

Although this makes me wonder what the badges themselves look like. Do we just get a golden DOSH when we max out our badge?

This is how the badge looks like -> http://steamcommunity.com/id/CrystalTheory/gamecards/1250

It is already a level 5 badge though. previous levels look different i think.

P.S: I was waiting for these cards for so long lol, just hope that i can get them all, at least for level 1.

Upvote 0
Whoa, whats with the Stalker picture, its the only non-stock image of her.
Also this is great, KF is the only thing I play on steam so now i can pimp out my profile with out me playing Portal 2 or Scribblenauts.
TF2 obviously still gives us cards.

Also on with the cards, i was very mad at Steam for releasing the summer sale so late. I bought RS Deluxe & the 3 new DLCs for a total of 30 bucks, 2 days later same deal BUT with the additon of 10 dollars, you get 1 card (Meaning i would have gotten 3 cards).
Feck you valve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was going to get in and sell them a high price. Like most games... But everyone has the market at 20c already :(
Thats because valve thought it would be a good idea to remove the level 10 restriction to find foil cards. That was almost entirely the only reason why people were buying cards. Now they don't sell for anything because the cards are out of beta and the above reason, foils aren't worth anything either now.

Oh well.
I'd like to see the smileys and backgrounds there are for making the badges. I'll be sure to probably get some of those off people.

Upvote 0
This is how the badge looks like -> http://steamcommunity.com/id/CrystalTheory/gamecards/1250

It is already a level 5 badge though. previous levels look different i think.

P.S: I was waiting for these cards for so long lol, just hope that i can get them all, at least for level 1.

Thanks for showing me what it looked like c:
I usually craft a level 5 badge if I love the game for the stuff, but I've been doing some more research about what the emotes / backgrounds / badges look like before I get craft happy.
Mostly because I crafted a lvl 5 psychonauts badge and everything, EVERYTHING, from Psychonauts was crap. Amazing game, but the crafting rewards were silly.

So yea I'll probably be crafting the level 5 badge soon as well, thanks c:

The problem with cards is that valve intends to cash on dumb attention whores by restricting the drops, seriously thats gay

Okay, restricting the drops is a good thing. I'm sure you're aware of crates, right? Those things that drop in TF2 and DOTA 2 that sell for $0.03 on the marketplace? Have you stopped to consider WHY these items would sell for only 3 cents?

That because crates are in unlimited supply and drop at fairly regular intervals. As such, the number of crates only climbed and climbed, while the value of the contents has rarely changed. So due to something some people like to call BASIC ECONOMICS the price for these crates decreased. This is also what causes most economic slumps in many countries, most notably Zimbabwe. The government will print money, and this devalues the currency as a result. Much the same will be applied to trading cards because this is still an economy, goods are being traded for money. Valve knows this because they actually have an Economist on their dev team.

If we went by what you wanted and had unlimited card drops for everyone, this means that eventually the cost of every single last card would decrease to 3 cents, as this is the lowest price you can sell something on the steam marketplace and make a profit. So, making the level 5 Killing Floor badge would then cost people $1.50 (10 cards * 3 cents * 5 levels). For games with less cards this would be even worse (Such as Hotline Miami which has only 6 cards, so the cost to make a level 5 for Hotline Miami would then become $0.90). So this would inevitably cause everyone who has a game to have every collectible for them if they so desired instead of there being any rarity to it. Not to mention the game's devs would get barely any money from these card purchases as well (which considering only 4% of all video games that ever go into production ever profit, I'd like to support devs when I can).

So I would then ask you for your rebuttal. In the current system which has fluctuating prices, rarity, trading, and even taxes that keep the entire system floating like a real world economy... I would ask you why the system of "Every card costs three cents everyone gets everything cheap" would be preferable?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what if the cards cost nothing at all so we can just trade them and be happy

Then nobody would trade them, because there'd be no point if you have them all.

i can see where you're coming from but 5 cards max per game forever is just ridiculous
Then trade for or buy more cards. Just like real life trading cards; you get a certain amount of cards per booster pack, and have to either trade for ones you want that you don't get or buy more and hope you get lucky.

and where did I say I wanted to farm cards, seriously, no need to be butthurt good god

It sure is implied, and the only "butthurt" i see is stemming from you, because you can't get every card immediately, so you have to blame it on Valve because they don't design the system so that it pleases you specifically.

Fortunately, Valve knows how to make something work for the majority of people that matter, and you're just gonna have to deal with it, that's really all there is to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On the topic of trading, if anybody has any card besides the Crawler and Patriarch, I have tons of the following to trade for them:

1:1 one Killing Floor card for one Tf2 trading card (I have Demo, Pyro, Engie, Spy, and Heavy)

Tf2 hats, including a vintage Engineer's Cap

Portal 2 Turrets Background and TF2 Demoman background

My url is steamcommunity.com/id/nerdkillaz , add me and we'll work something out.

Upvote 0