• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF2 is the daily Steam deal at 15% off

When the 'hardcore' segment of the playerbase stop their unconstructive whining about every game mechanic that differs from KF1 or doesn't support their very specific "exploit everything possible to win cheaply while incessantly boasting that you're better than everyone else" playstyles, then I'll stop complaining about what a counter-productive nuisance they've been to the EA so far. How can you defend them like they're innocent victims when they've filled these forums with so much hostility, attacking people who make constructive suggestions and constantly *****ing on the people who made the game they claim to love so much?

And after how angry they've gotten over everything else that brings in new players, you really don't think there's overlap between them and the typical 'discount doomsayers'? Unless you're going to go creep on the steam profiles of every one of them and check their KF2 achievements an...

You are hostile plenty of times when you don't need to be.

You are being hostile now for no reason at all.

The fact that you said that I am defending them like they are innocent victims (which is a straw man if I ever saw one) demonstrates your unwarranted rage.

And yes. I don't think there's overlap. Have you seen any of the hardcore regulars post in this thread? I haven't as far as I can tell. You're being rude and presumptive. The only complainers I've seen here are not complaining about player base dilution. The complaints are about being financially cheated.

You just have these really tainted glasses that you're not taking off. Calm your tits, lest you become as unreasonable as the people you are criticizing.

Upvote 0
What is everyone getting their panties in a bunch for? Daily steam sales come and go...oh idk...every day! Thr game is $30...which is more than reasonable for what we are expected to get on the actual release. It will not be less than $27 for like the 1st few days if that at all and it will be several months before you see a 5-15% flash sale (ie $28.50 - $25.50) on the game like every triple A title has. That's hardly ripping off anyone who paid full price because oh idk...they wanted to participate in early access...or they can't wait to play the full release now now now.

Get over it.

Upvote 0
I appreciate this logic. Glad someone pointed it out :)

I would point out, that the problem is not the discount, it is the proximity within the intial release and purchase.

In Australian Consumer law, and alot of other law, if you purchase an item at full price and are not made aware of a special coming up with in a week or so of your initial purchase, you have full entitlement to receive that discount ex ante, especially if the store sold you the goods and were aware of the upcoming sale at the time.

If TWI knew the sale was planned with the release of Manor, they do have an obligation to there customers to make them aware of an upcoming sale.
ie: "hey guys, if you are thinking of purchasing KF2, there will be a sale coming up soon, stay tuned"

But i did not see that. (same way a retail store will market a upcoming sale, instead of just implementing it out of the blue)
Im sure the USA has similar laws.

Upvote 0
I would point out, that the problem is not the discount, it is the proximity within the intial release and purchase.

In Australian Consumer law, and alot of other law, if you purchase an item at full price and are not made aware of a special coming up with in a week or so of your initial purchase, you have full entitlement to receive that discount ex ante, especially if the store sold you the goods and were aware of the upcoming sale at the time.

If TWI knew the sale was planned with the release of Manor, they do have an obligation to there customers to make them aware of an upcoming sale.
ie: "hey guys, if you are thinking of purchasing KF2, there will be a sale coming up soon, stay tuned"

But i did not see that. (same way a retail store will market a upcoming sale, instead of just implementing it out of the blue)
Im sure the USA has similar laws.

We are just really over analyzing everything TWI does to find things to be upset about aren't we? First off, TWI is not an Australian company, so it probably doesn't follow Australian consumer guidlines. You are buying an American product and therefore probably abide by American consumer laws for the transaction. For instance, China makes toys with lead. America does not allow the selling of toys with lead, therefore we do not buy them. Because it is illegal to sell toys with high lead content in America does not mean it's illegal for Chinese toy companies to make toys with lead in them. Here in America we buy crap and then it goes sale, I don't understand the logic of thinking you are entitled to savings simply because a sale takes place down the road after you bought something. Can you imagine? I buy groceries at the store and then a month later a can of soup is .10 off the price I bought it for so I hit up the manager about getting that .10? You guys are making it seem like a company that, believe it or not, is in the business of generating a profit, has personally offended your interests by selling the game at a discount special price. That's business! Companies generate hype, sell things, discount things, repeat.

Upvote 0
We are just really over analyzing everything TWI does to find things to be upset about aren't we? First off, TWI is not an Australian company, so it probably doesn't follow Australian consumer guidlines.
Actully it does becuase it sells the product into Australia, but no one in there right mind is going to the ACCC for $3.

You are buying an American product and therefore probably abide by American consumer laws for the transaction.
See above.

For instance, China makes toys with lead. America does not allow the selling of toys with lead, therefore we do not buy them. Because it is illegal to sell toys with high lead content in America does not mean it's illegal for Chinese toy companies to make toys with lead in them.

You cant buy toys with lead here, same as you cant sell wares here and break the consumer law.

Here in America we buy crap and then it goes sale, I don't understand the logic of thinking you are entitled to savings simply because a sale takes place down the road after you bought something.
IT is built around reason, Sales man knows a sale for air conditioner will begin next week for -50% as a new model will be released, but does not mention it to the customer. This is a lie of omission and a deceptive practice.
That is why generally sales are announced in a lead up. "winter sale starts XXX" "End of run clearance begins XXX" "Tax Time sales starts XXX"

While it is not a huge saving with TWI, it is not with in the spirit of good consumer relations to sell something at discount shortly after release. (especially those who have paid full price for a cut down version of the game, and put time into it to help develop it, only to have other come along get it at %15 less with more content with in a month of release.)

That said, it might be for purely pragmatic reasons, they need more people playing to help balance the game and find bugs.

Can you imagine? I buy groceries at the store and then a month later a can of soup is .10 off the price I bought it for so I hit up the manager about getting that .10?
That would be un-reasonable. But if a real estate agent did it to you and you lost $100,000 or a bank did not disclose a rate drop that could save alot while knowing about it.

You guys are making it seem like a company that, believe it or not, is in the business of generating a profit, has personally offended your interests by selling the game at a discount special price. That's business! Companies generate hype, sell things, discount things, repeat.
No one is against a price reduction, especially me, i nearly bought the game with the recent %15, but i am just going to wait till it is finished.
Still unfair on those who paid full price.
I played KF1 years after release and loved it, (i came from a beta RO2 release where i paid full price and the game is still broken) And im not prepared to live through that.
And to add insult to injury is to discount it at the same time.
I think sales really should not occur on early access situation.

Upvote 0
We are just really over analyzing everything TWI does to find things to be upset about aren't we? First off, TWI is not an Australian company, so it probably doesn't follow Australian consumer guidlines. You are buying an American product and therefore probably abide by American consumer laws for the transaction. For instance, China makes toys with lead. America does not allow the selling of toys with lead, therefore we do not buy them. Because it is illegal to sell toys with high lead content in America does not mean it's illegal for Chinese toy companies to make toys with lead in them. Here in America we buy crap and then it goes sale, I don't understand the logic of thinking you are entitled to savings simply because a sale takes place down the road after you bought something. Can you imagine? I buy groceries at the store and then a month later a can of soup is .10 off the price I bought it for so I hit up the manager about getting that .10? You guys are making it seem like a company that, believe it or not, is in the business of generating a profit, has personally offended your interests by selling the game at a discount special price. That's business! Companies generate hype, sell things, discount things, repeat.

They are not European neither and we get the game for same base price as first one (19.99

Upvote 0
I think TWI did a discount just to highlight KF2 in the Steam Store to get more player attention to the update. KF2 is relatively cheap, discount was minor: nothing to worry about.

It's not only Tripwire doing it, it's pretty much every single game after what is considered a major update or something up and coming. This is steam after all, they are legendary for having sales and discounts left and right without any warning except for the big Summer, Winter, Spring and Halloween ones.

Seriously, almost every game that has an update goes on sale, whole game companies collections go on sale bi-monthly and even if a new game is coming out that game and all the previous games (in the most recent case the shadowrun games) goes on sale as well.

Upvote 0
Even if i ultimately don't really care about that discount... i can't help but feel slightly unsettled when i see it happen such a short time after the game was "released" and especially while the game is still in Early Access.

If you know about it, Nuclear Throne has been released around 1 year and half ago, is still in Early Access, but receives updates mostly every week (sometimes 2) even if some are really small. The game has never received any kind of discount and the devs said they won't do any before the game is completely finished. It's the most sane Early Access i've seen so far.
And that's why compared to that, so far KF2 feels... quite empty, slow, and meaningless to be an Early Access.

Yes the scope of a "little" indie game is not the same. But if they can do that without discounts, why isn't KF2 able to?
When i see a discount that early after the release of a new product (video game or not), the first reactions i'll have are"Is that product not working properly? Is it not selling well? Is it so bad they have to discount it already?" Mostly negative points that is. And if it's a small discount it won't give me that much reasons to buy it at that point.

Honestly i would like to know the reasons behind such a move at this point. Getting new players to play-test the game? I thought there were already enough, they're just not interested to play a slice of the full game for a long time if nothing changes. More sales right away at the risk of having people disappointed by the lack of content?

Upvote 0
That would be un-reasonable. But if a real estate agent did it to you and you lost $100,000 or a bank did not disclose a rate drop that could save alot while knowing about it.

So if being upset about losing .10 on a can of soup is un-reasonable and being upset about losing $100,000 is reasonable, you are telling me there is a monetary scale to measure the morals of putting something on sale after selling it? I don't understand. Is there a spread sheet of people's incomes and at what percentage of said income a loss becomes un-reasonable vs reasonable?

I do agree that is can seem unfair for someone to buy something and have it go on sale later, but isn't that just how things work? If I paid for a full price PS4 when it was released are you telling me I have been screwed over if the product goes on sale later and Sony didn't make a public statement that a sale would happen and what date? I didn't know companies were required to give up to date timelines of future sales on their products.

I bought a 6-pack of the game for like $160 after taxes. I simply don't feel upset that it was on sale recently for $129 or so. I understand the concept being brought up, it just seems to me that's life.

Upvote 0
I appreciate this logic. Glad someone pointed it out :)

I still love you guys for taking regional pricing into account. When I saw that, it was an instant buy. Well it would've been anyway, but still, I was very positively surprised.

The base price is also pretty cheap to be honest.

Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Doing discounts during early access is a pretty valid strategy though, many games loose traction during early access, after that initial hype.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that's secretly why some of them are mad. :p

Elitism runs so rampant in this community and there's a sickening amount of open hostility towards new or casual players. Look at how many threads have been derailed by some pompous jerk going "You have an opinion different than mine so I immediately snooped on your steam profile; I see that you don't play Hell on Earth and that's the only TRUE KF2 experience therefore all of your opinions are invalid".

They don't care about the rest of the KF2 community because they think they're the only players who matter. They don't care about the financial or critical success of killing floor, they only want it to be a super-niche game tailored ONLY to them and their specific styles of play, and completely inaccessible to everyone else.. I mean for god's sake, look how furious they were over the announcement of a PS4 version, no matter how many times they're told the PC version won't be dumbed down for it.

So naturally, they're going to get diaper-rash over anything that will attract new players. :rolleyes:

yea, this community sucks. every time i go to general discussion im always disapointed haha

Upvote 0