• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

That would make sense as the M1 is a better quality rifle than the Mosin in all aspects. It would also explains why Mosins are a tenth of the price of 1 M1.

mosins are a tenth of the price because they are not American and were made in the millions

and there are mosins that cost more than any M1

and don't go there on build quality... the M1 is surely a wonderful design but i would never say better quality than a mosin.. i've seen a few examples of original unissued russian mosins (all post war) and the build quality is excellent

the real question is the care taken when rebuilding the rifle

most M1 have been through at least one rebuild but the care taken during the rebuild generally resulted in a rifle that looked and felt as if it was newly manufactured

the soviets just dug parts out of a bin and slapped them together... as long as it passed headspace who cared how it looked or if the parts and stock fit perfectly together

hell even when they cleaned the things small parts were just dumped into a vat of cleaning solvent and this is more than one soldier cleaning their rifle at the same time (this is why a non-refurb will rarely have a matching bolt and floorplate)

Upvote 0
Quality has nothing to do with it. Heck, most Finn Produced Mosins weren't allowed to leave the factory without passing a stringent accuracy test.

Over 4,000,000+ M1's were made vs 100,000+ M39's yet M39's are much cheaper than Garands. Why? Because of supply and demand. Way more Americans want a rifle like grandad's than some Finn's or Soviet's grandad.

Oh, and as for the Soviet refurb process I don't think they even had them checked for head space. I purchased an all matching (refurbished) 1944 M44 and the bolt wouldn't close on ANY ammunition, surplus or commercial. That doesn't mean it wasn't a quality rifle when produced. It just means they didn't care when the rifles were rebuilt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Over 4,000,000+ M1's were made vs 100,000+ M39's yet M39's are much cheaper than Garands.

and even the SK.Y M39s of which there are only 10,000 are cheaper than a Garand

Because of supply and demand. Way more Americans want a rifle like grandad's than some Finn's or Soviet's grandad.

that plus Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and all those other movies with Americans in WW2

the mosin has what? Enemy at the Gates

note: i'm talking about movies/tv shows/miniseries that joe six pack would have heard of

even video games have a stronger showing of US vs Germany

between "my grandpa used one of these" and "i saw these in [movie]" you get "i'm screwed because every tom dick and harry wants one"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I actually found the M1 garand to have better grouping then a Mosin does and its semi auto.

was it an original m1 garand? cause you know of course the new ones are going to have better groupings. there really arent any russian firms that "reintroduce" old ww2 guns, you just have now what was available then.

if you really want to compare them, just buy one of the old ones that were refurbished for about $300 (last i checked) but they are only available to shooting competitors, c&r's, or ppl with instructor permits.
i cant remember the website.. dangit, i'll post it when i find it.
i dont really even see why youre comparing them in the first place, its like apples to oranges. why dont you compare the mn91.30 to the springfield 03, if you can find an original. (i have a 1903 mark1, but it was "sporterized" so thanks a lot grandpa)
why dont you compare the m1 garand to the svt40? or compare it to the ab42 ljungman (which is alive today in all our m16 weaps), or compare it to the johnson rifle, or the g43, or the mondragon, or any of the other semiautos produced around that era.
the only reason the garand was successful is becuase it was pushed so hard through to production, it had such horrible teething problems that it was going to be scrapped for the johnson41.

heck the svt40 would've been much more superior if they had toughened it up a bit, it already had everything else in spades against the m1.

Upvote 0
Finally got my pics from my range shoot back in December:

DSC04270.jpg

DSC04272.jpg

DSC04277.jpg

DSC04278.jpg

Upvote 0
My re-snipered Ex-sniper.

43PU.jpg

She is a 1943 Izhevsk with a BRAND NEW looking bore.

Right side.
pu2.jpg

Left side.
pu5.jpg

Scope side.
pu3.jpg

Here are the original scope numbers, that were not lined out. Sorry, it's a bit fuzzy.
pu4.jpg

The stock is hardwood with a laminated toe splice.
lamtoe.jpg

Here is the view through the scope. Can you guess what I'm aiming at? :D
scope.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thats a beautiful mn91/30, love the mount. are you looking at a front motorcycle wheel?
right now i'm looking for an all-matching w/ PE scope, i cant find any anywhere, too rare i guess. so just gonna have to get blueprints to bubba one of my old hex rec's. get it as close to specs as possible.

hahah, love the pietta colt (.451?), i have about 5 of those, i got an all-steel one and put a new cylinder in it to accept 45 lc's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thats a beautiful mn91/30, love the mount. are you looking at a front motorcycle wheel?
right now i'm looking for an all-matching w/ PE scope, i cant find any anywhere, too rare i guess. so just gonna have to get blueprints to bubba one of my old hex rec's. get it as close to specs as possible.

hahah, love the pietta colt (.451?), i have about 5 of those, i got an all-steel one and put a new cylinder in it to accept 45 lc's.

Yep, it's a motorcycle. I actually wasn't looking at what it was aiming at. I was just trying to get a shot of the scope and that's where it ended up pointing. There is actually a long story behind that rifle. I'll post one more pic along with it.

Two years ago I bought this rifle, I knew it was an ex-sniper as soon as I opened the bolt. I bought it from a guy who said he'd bought it to shoot but had other rifles and never got around to it. He sold it to me for $75 IIRC. The rifle had a pristine bore. It even had machine marks in the grooves. The only other rifles I've had like that are my unissued M39's. Well I got it home and discovered that he had messed it up. The pins had been knocked out of the receiver, and he had bored two small holes through the cut off screws off-center! All this had been hidden by the stock when I bought it and I hadn't noticed it.

At first I was angry, then I felt this rifle needed to be saved in some way. It was just too good to let go. I had already purchased a scope and mount for a parts rifle I was going to build. So I was going to return it to it's original sniper form, but those mis-drilled screws made me decide I wouldn't be doing it by myself. So I sent the rifle to Frank Robertson and after a very long wait she has returned to me. Here is the pic.

receiver-2.jpg

Upvote 0