• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How to deal with TKs in game

What exactly is the punishment? Death? Longer Respawn?

I'd hate for someone to think I TKed them on purpose or if they were pissed that it even happened, and punished me for the sake of having me suffer...

Current system works as it should. Changing the system only opens another channel for people to piss others off.

We should have the mentality of whether or not to forgive someone rather than the mentality of whether we should punish them or not (and yes there is a difference)

Upvote 0
My idea was to reverse the system so that you need to hit a key, in order to punish them.
+1 good idea!

Instead of calling it "punish", wouldn't it be better to call it "Press [key] to not forgive [name] for the TK"
even better.

What exactly is the punishment? Death? Longer Respawn?
I think it was a system that you have X teamkills (serverside option)
and if you exeed this number you are kicked from the server.

Upvote 0
At first I was against this just for the fact that it is the opposite of what it currently is in ROOST. It would just initially cause confusion for veteran players.

Then after some thinking, it didn't seem like a bad idea as I am sure most TK's are accidental. If you have some sort of "punish" key, then you can choose to make the TK count against the offending player. You don't have to worry about forgiving someone who accidentally TK's you.

Then I thought about it some more. Some TK's are on purpose, others accidental, and others are just from constantly careless players. Now I always forgive those players that accidentally TK me that I know aren't just carelessly firing away trying to hit someone. Those are also the ones that usually say sorry in the text chat too. Then there are those who do it on purpose, they are idiots and don't deserve any leniency. The careless players, and I am talking about those who TK over and over because they are not paying attention, usually don't deserve a forgive in my book. For one, they almost never appologize for it and the other is if you constantly forgive them, all you are doing is enabling them to continue their behavior.

So, in conclusion, I am respectfully against the idea of changing how it currently is in ROOST. I will add though, that a much better system needs to be in place to vote kick players for their offenses.

Upvote 0
I'd rather that we instead of having to write 'forgive', 'np' etc. etc. were given the option of a 'last gasp revenge'. That is when you are tk'ed you have 10,20 seconds in which you can revenge kill the tk'er or not for free before respawning. The tk'er's player avatar should obviously be highlighted with a glowing outline during 'the window of opportunity' so that both the offended player and the rest of the players on both sides can see who the traitorous scumbag is.
Now you will be thinking - LOL what if the team killer was in a tank - you can't hurt that with a rifle? No you can't and therefore when 'revenge killing' a tk'er/tk'ers in a tank your 'shot' at the tank will instead be a magnetic mine or antitank cannon shot depending on the proximity of the tank. Now, it could be seen as unreasonable to 'revenge kill' a 'team tanked' tank as logically only one of the crew members could be the team killer - Wrong assumption, team tanking implies that you share kills as well as team kills so every single player crewing a 'team tanked' tank is equally guilty and must suffer the same consequences - don't come and say that I haven't though about everything with regards to assigning blame.

If a player is 'revenge killed' as a tk'er a 1:00 minute respawn penalty should be incurred - repeated offenses should result in doubling the respawn time for each 'revenge killed' tk until the threshold value of getting kicked/banned from the server will be implemented. Getting kicked/banned from the server should pause the game and an 'execution animation' in the form of a german firing squad/comissar using his Nagant revolver to shoot the 'traitor' in the back of the head of the team killing player should be shown and a global sound file yelling 'EXECUTED FOR TREASON' should be played to all remaining players just to remind them not to team kill.
Choosing not to 'revenge kill' will therefore not trigger increased spawn time or execution of the team killer.

Chosing not to 'revenge kill' the tk'er will thus be just an active choice like killing him will so it will be a fair and reasonable method in which to deal with teamkillers.

Peace!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pvt.Skoko
Upvote 0
I say that the report system should be like this.

"Press [key] if you think that [player] team killed you on purpose and should be [kicked/banned] from the server"

People often see forgive or not forgive as a feature to simply choose if someone should be punished or not for his team kill. And that is the wrong way to look at it.

The punishment for team killing are the negative points and stats players obtain (and in the case of individual reinforcement having the guy you killed spawn out of your personal reinf pool), the forgive and not forgive feature is solely there to actually kick people off the server if they are *** hats.

Server Admins need to set the TK limit fairly high as loads of people never forgive since they forget to do so, or cannot be bothered. Next to that if someone doesn't say sorry loads of people do not want to forgive either.

People do not realize that essentially by not typing anything they are automatically voting for someone to be banned or kicked off the server. A serious penalty put in place to stop asshats to ruin a teams fun by teamkilling.

By actively voting against players increases the chance of the reports actually being made when someone is an asshat and not just a newb that accidentally teamkilled someone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see this as a server option, since there are lots of different stances on TKers. Let the server admin decide (since it's their server after all) if they want:
1) A punish key
2) A forgive key
3) A votekick system
4) Some combination of options

And maybe have a little icon next to each server on the list saying what form of stance there will be on the subject of TK's

Upvote 0
Punish is the wrong word to use, maybe if it was worded as "Report as intentional TK" people would get the right idea, that it's to be used to flag someone as an intentional griefer.

It's still negative rather than positive.

And people get flagged by losing honor and playing in remedial servers, I think thats punishment enough.

Upvote 0
Perhaps:
After you get TKed you get 2 options, "forgive" and "not forgive". If you do not choose within X seconds it will auto-forgive.

Thing is that forgive and not forgive doesn't show the punishment that will be given. A ban from a server is a big punishment, and that is usually bound to the tk stuff.

Upvote 0
another important aspect for me in terms of by default forgiving and later on perhaps submitting that someone was tking on purpose is simply when you kill a larger group of people by accident.

For instance at one point in smolensk stalemate our filled up half-track was tracked, while it was in a position where the people inside could not leave the vehicle.

After trying to tell people how to type suicide in the console, I just went there with an mg to destroy the half track the people inside said they would forgive me. So I destroyed that half track and got an instant session ban, as I was kicked before the people inside had the chance to forgive me.

Upvote 0
No system is perfect however with well run servers if someone is constantly TKing then shout for an admin, they can decide if a ban is appropriate.

Alternatively: maybe a simple server config option where you can configure the number of permissibale TKs in a period, then its upto whoever runs the server to decide how they want their server to play.

Upvote 0
No system is perfect however with well run servers if someone is constantly TKing then shout for an admin, they can decide if a ban is appropriate.

Alternatively: maybe a simple server config option where you can configure the number of permissibale TKs in a period, then its upto whoever runs the server to decide how they want their server to play.
Already like that in RO.

Upvote 0