• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How many pipebombs do you need to kill the Patriarch? Click here to find out.

xyrz

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
Similar to my tests about the demoman and the LAW.

I have decided to find how many pipebombs do you need to kill the Patriarch on a 6 man SUICIDAL match as a level 6 demoman.

The answer is astounding.

Using the map nagomi-sou, addbots mutator, perk replacement mutator and some cheats.

I can pin point how many pipebombs do you need to kill the patriarch.

Using the loaded cheat you will get 999 pipebombs.

So during the trader time. I locked myself in the little room in the 2nd floor. I spammed 48 pipebombs near the door. (48 because assuming your team is composed of all level 6 demomen and carrying all 8 pipes). I made sure that the door is welded at 2% so that when he breaks the door open with the rocket launcher he will detonate ALL pipebombs.

Lo and behold.. HE SURVIVED!

I went back to mining the little room with pipes until I had used 32 pipes. He went back to the room and... HE SURVIVED... I managed to place 20 pipes around that room again and when he came back.. He finally died...

___

WOW. 100 pipebombs to kill the Patriarch on 6man suicidal.

*note

I repeated the test on doom2 final and placed the exact number of pipebombs in the hallway WITH NO STACKING and they are about a foot apart.

Still the same result.. 100 pipebombs...

WOW UNBELIEVABLE..

What do you guys think?

Im going to repeat this test and do more tests in the future.

Yup. I forgot to mention that he ran off to heal.

Its hard to get him to stay still so i can lay a few pipes.

But I'll get it eventually.

100 is a high number!

I'll try to pin point the exact number of pipes need to kill the patty in one go.

The 100 pipebombs assumes that he heals.

Upvote 0
How did you come across this? Laying them all in a pile doesn't work anymore, if you didn't know... Were you using a demo? Was he walking onto them or rushing mostly past before they blew? There's a lot of info we're not getting here.

I could get a crossbow as a Level 0 medic and shoot the patriarch in the chest 900 times and argue that it takes over 800 bolts to kill him... When if I were a rank 6 Sharpshooter, it might only take a dozen or so headshots...

Upvote 0
6 man hard sever, biolab (played yesterday)

During that game, the trader opened her shop at the long corridor after wave 10. And all of us spam pipes outside the trader door along the corridor. When Patrick just walk past the corridor, he died instanly, none of us even managed to fire a single bullet before he died.
I wronder if the patch really fix the problem.

Upvote 0
6 man hard sever, biolab (played yesterday)

During that game, the trader opened her shop at the long corridor after wave 10. And all of us spam pipes outside the trader door along the corridor. When Patrick just walk past the corridor, he died instanly, none of us even managed to fire a single bullet before he died.
I wronder if the patch really fix the problem.

Do you remember how many pipeboms you used?

Upvote 0
Yep, it seems you forgot that the last update made it so the pat can't take more than a certain amount of damage from pipe bombs at once. More than 2 pipe bombs in one pile are useless.

I dont know about that mate, after the patch I saw someone on Deathpit use maybe 20 pipe bombs as level 4 demoman stacked like a minefield to kill the patriarch. We basically just sat and ate popcorn as he walked back and forth across the pipebombs as they exploded.

Upvote 0
It's not that they're useless, it's that they're damage decreases by roughly 33% for each one used.(well not really but it's early in the morning and I can't think of the word so I'll give an example :D)

Though it's not very clear but it could either go this way...

1 pipe bomb = 100% damage
2 pipe bombs = 134% damage(67% each pipebomb)
3 pipe bombs = 135% damage(45% each pipebomb)
^which quickly ramps down(in fact it would be a loss past the third one, so I'm pretty sure we can rule this out)...or...

1 pipe bomb = 100% damage
2 pipe bombs = 167% damage(100% first + 67% second)
3 pipe bombs = 212% damage(100% + 67% + 45%)
^which slows down fairly quickly, but still remains increasing.

Though the situation you described here...
I dont know about that mate, after the patch I saw someone on Deathpit use maybe 20 pipe bombs as level 4 demoman stacked like a minefield to kill the patriarch. We basically just sat and ate popcorn as he walked back and forth across the pipebombs as they exploded.
This seems to say that they didn't all go off at once, which is what is being calculated here. Sure it only takes maybe 6(2x3) pipebombs to kill him if he walks on them all, but how many would it take to kill him with one big explosion? That's what is being wondered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After patty gets hit by the first pipebomb he becomes unvulnerable to other pipebombs for a while i belive. I believe it works like that. So either the first pipebombs must blow up together. Or they must be exploding a while after each other.
No, after being hit by each pipebomb the damage from the next pipebomb is reduced by 33%. Read the post above.

Upvote 0
Just killed him with 3 on solo normal. spaced, not stacked.

Yea but this topic is about 6 man SUICIDAL

No, after being hit by each pipebomb the damage from the next pipebomb is reduced by 33%. Read the post above.

Yes I just saw the code earlier, and thats exactly what happens. Not sure about the numbers but the damage definately scales down for a few seconds after each hit.

Upvote 0
I got a somewhat better way to test how many bombs if takes to kill him. If you have the ADD BOTS! mutator then you will have AI human players play by your side and also use the Regeneration mutator to regenerate health and armor for the whole team. Go solo, choose COMMANDO PERK so you can see his health enablecheats
use god, allammo, and setgravity -9999 (setgravity -9999 will make gravity strong enough to where when you place bombs they will not go off even if the boss comes near them, then place 90 bombs, move above the bombs and let the boss come below you and then type setgravity 999 and then bombs will rise off the ground and then come down and shortly after, all bombs will blow up in his face at one time. if 90 bombs dont kill him then I guest that 100 bombs is the limit! on solo by myself i can kill the patty with just 8 bombs by myself but he gains a certain amount of health for every player that joinsthe game and if you look at your health amount bar when the bossappears, you can see his Total Health Amount, so use the to your advantage too!

Upvote 0