• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

Can you set the taking of a cap to trigger a win for either side? Forgetting using required/secondary objectives - just an automatic win? Phaps using the event entry in the ROobjective properties?
If so are there events that can stop a sides reinforcment spawning either temporarily or perminantly setting by reinforcments to 0?
How about events, triggered by capping, that can enable/disable a team's ability to use artillary?

Finally, when the timer runs out on a round on an attack/defend map like orel, the team with the majority of caps wins. Can you set a map up so it only looks at certain caps to decide who wins?
Sticking with the orel example- the holder of the majority of the 3 'heights' objectives would win, irrespective of the status of the others?

Hope someone knows can help or at least point out what they know to be impossible- Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
first off: did you rebuild lighting after you did it?

if (true) {

Looks like youre running into the fundemental lighting difference between static meshs and BSP.

BSP Surfaces light very percisely (depending on your light map setting. yadda yadda)..

Static Meshes are lit per-vertex.

Angel Mapper has a great write-up of it here:
http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/tutorials/uedmeshes.htm

Anywho..
With Unreal-Ed created static meshes, you also get zero control over the vertex normals

My rule of rule of thumb is do not create statics within UnrealEd if it has more then say.. 10 or 12 size (a cube of course having 6), and even then don't expect it to light correctly.

What I would do is export the House to .obj, then open it up in Maya/Max/Blender/Whatever, re-'draw' it with your BSP guide, then re-import.

A few relevent links:
- http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ConvertingBspBrushesIsSuboptimal.html
- http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Vertex_Lighting
- http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/LightingOnSurfaces.html

}

Well what I found out was that I removed all of the lights in the map did a full build and then created my static it seemed to have no effect. I think short of doing like you say here and loading it up in Maya then I could put a negative light on it like another thread suggested. I also found out that the static creator does not like subtraction brushes. I had to take thouse out to get the static to be correct. Thanks for the tips here I will take a look when I get home.

Upvote 0
Can you set the taking of a cap to trigger a win for either side? Forgetting using required/secondary objectives - just an automatic win? Phaps using the event entry in the ROobjective properties?
If so are there events that can stop a sides reinforcment spawning either temporarily or perminantly setting by reinforcments to 0?
How about events, triggered by capping, that can enable/disable a team's ability to use artillary?

Finally, when the timer runs out on a round on an attack/defend map like orel, the team with the majority of caps wins. Can you set a map up so it only looks at certain caps to decide who wins?
Sticking with the orel example- the holder of the majority of the 3 'heights' objectives would win, irrespective of the status of the others?

Hope someone knows can help or at least point out what they know to be impossible- Thanks in advance!
Short of getting all fancy I think if you want to stop artillery you could set a team trigger to cover up the radio and another to uncover I think, using a destructable method. As for looking at certain caps if you are going to make it behave that way then why have the other caps even in the map just remove them leaving the ones that are important for your scenario. I think though if you have these 3 on orel the only caps unless you make them really slow to cap then the rounds will be quite short. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Short of getting all fancy I think if you want to stop artillery you could set a team trigger to cover up the radio and another to uncover I think, using a destructable method. As for looking at certain caps if you are going to make it behave that way then why have the other caps even in the map just remove them leaving the ones that are important for your scenario. I think though if you have these 3 on orel the only caps unless you make them really slow to cap then the rounds will be quite short. Just my 2 cents.

thanks for answer - i will consider that regards arty though i was thinking of a recappable obj so a team could re-enable it's arty capability- we'll see,

toying with ideas at the mo and i just what to know how usefull and powerful the ROObjTerritory Properties>Events>Event and RoObjTerritories>ROObjective>Allies/Axis event options were.
There is no drop down tabs to set here- so I was wondering what was available and what the the strings were for different events.

As to the 3 caps question- i still need the others to determine where teams spawn from- so you can fight beyond them to drive the enemy back and possibly win outright by taking all. I don't want the 3 caps to be the only ones as i want a situation where they are free to change hands thoughout the battle. And if one team can hold them easily, they may as well advance and finish enemy off rather than create a rather dull playout till the timer ends.
but again, thanks for suggestions

Upvote 0
I agree an explanation on all of these new features would be a good New thread topic. Maybe you should throw that in Afterhourz yard and see if they pick it up. Probably make for a good sticky as well, if there is room.

Well this is the idea I had for this thread I started, one that dealt with aspects of the editor that were specific only to RO. Not as a blatent sticky-bid, just because I have a few questions of this nature, and want to learn more about what you can do with maps in this game.

If i need to find out about general tips on general Unreal ed features there are many resources and indeed this thread that is very suitable.
As well as obtaining some answers myself i thought others could pick up tips or ask similar questions there, and ppl could discover things they never thought possible that inspires them to make maps with origional gameplay ideas.

However i got no replies - which I guess doesn't mean the threads necessarily a bad idea - just that no-one who read it knows the answers. Hense I tried my luck in this thread.

Upvote 0
However i got no replies - which I guess doesn't mean the threads necessarily a bad idea - just that no-one who read it knows the answers. Hense I tried my luck in this thread.

You posted in teh SDK support thread.. more for 'My SDK won't load' iirc.

Questions on -using- the SDK should be diverted to the most approriate section of the RO Mods area.. most of which would be the Level Design forum, as you found here :p

Upvote 0
Hi,
I wanted to test how easy it is to get a terrain-generator output into RO. The heightmap worked just fine, but now I want to create layers for it and that's where I have problems:
How do I even get layer-alphamaps?

In Terragen for example you can set where a layer's texture is shown and where it isn't, based on min/max terrain steepness, min/max height and similar factors. That's what I need, but Terragen can't export layer's alpha maps.

Is there any (free) program that allows me to create layers based, for example, on the steepness of my heightmap.

If there is no official way to export them I need to at least be able to look at them so I can maybe snatch a screenshot of the things.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
My red builder brush behaves weird :eek:

When I change into vertex edting mode and try to work on him he jumps around. Resetting him doesn't help.

But even worse is that the 2D viewports and the 3D viewport show different locations of my brushes built with the buggy builder brush.
If I select the 2D viewport (they show all the same wrong stuff) and then activate the 3D port I can see my selected brushes from the 2D port but if I hit rebuild they appear somewhere else. Basically the wireframe and the location where geometry is build don't work together anymore. Any fixes for that? Unreal wiki wasn't too helpful ...

Upvote 0
I could work around the problem by deleting a few annoying brushes. But the 2D shape editor is kinda buggy too the 2D viewport shows still different locations for built brushes
(for example their rotation is different in the 2D and 3D port) and normal built brushes work fine.
And vertex edting I can now forget completly. It seems that vertex editing the builder brush is a bad idea. Lesson learned :/

Upvote 0
I could work around the problem by deleting a few annoying brushes. But the 2D shape editor is kinda buggy too the 2D viewport shows still different locations for built brushes
(for example their rotation is different in the 2D and 3D port) and normal built brushes work fine.
And vertex edting I can now forget completly. It seems that vertex editing the builder brush is a bad idea. Lesson learned :/

Well.. to keep it straight, I said I never tried vert-edigint the builder brush.. mostly because I found I never had a need to.

It sounds like you got something really wonky going on with your SDK there like some strange setting got set that say 'WorkInWeirdMode' or something. I'll assume this does it for any level you have in your SDK.. we can probably post stuff back and forth about it for days, but you might want to just a few minutes and reinstall the SDK.. might be easier.

Upvote 0
Nah,
the builder brush wasn't scaled and deleting the ini didn't help. It's definatly a problem with the map.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Red_Builder_Brush

I think that is what happend (under troubleshooting). Following the adivces helps only sometimes. Some shapes still act weird and vertex editing causes "jumping" of brushes but I don't need that any more, geometry should be done soon :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
How do you make scorch marks? I went into the actors and got the artillery scorch actor deployed it it looks good till you build all and the scorch is pure black what do I need to do? Also which actors do I need to be using for Fire and smoke I think I am using the ones under network emitters in the actors list( I think that is what it says) are those the right ones so they are visible in Online gameplay? Thanks.

Upvote 0
How do you make scorch marks? I went into the actors and got the artillery scorch actor deployed it it looks good till you build all and the scorch is pure black what do I need to do? Also which actors do I need to be using for Fire and smoke I think I am using the ones under network emitters in the actors list( I think that is what it says) are those the right ones so they are visible in Online gameplay? Thanks.

Hammer, there are 2 different channels for blending for projectors, FrameBufferBlendingOp and MaterialBlendingOp. The are discussed here. I played with them alot for Valley of Death map. You can get the look you want by experimenting with them and adjusting a few more variables in the projector.

If you like the fire and smoke actors from a particular map just copy them over and experiment with the variables with the real-time on in the editor. I got the exhaust for my Russian transport truck doing that. Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know what you are talking about Hammer. I ran into that myself. I tried adding some "pre-made" projectors from the list of actors and they wouldn't show up on-line. I remember trying to add a grenade blast to the map and you could see it in the editor but not on-line. After researching I realized these are actually part of the game engine itself and was linked to the sequences of a grenade exploding and not something that I could use for decoration. Once I started making my own projector actors (and used the pre-made textures in the engine, or you could make them yourself) it worked. I believe the projectors and textures I added to mylevel folders.

Upvote 0