• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

If making statics from BSP you will need to use BSP sheets and see to it that "two-sided" is disabled (or something like that) in the texture flags. This should leave you with a one-sided sheet with nothing on the other side. Piece these together to make static meshes.

For the situation you describe with the rubble, a collision/blocking volume first would be best otherwise the game will check all tris for collision. This is the disadvantage to making BSP->SM as opposed to making it in a 3D application, as there you can create a karma collision thereby optimizing the mesh.

Upvote 0
More and more I consider modeling something to go hand-in-hand with mapping.

This really is the truth if you want to create custom static meshes. Take the time to learn a modeling program and then look back and imagine trying to do it all with BSP. Only then will you truly realize how bad BSP is for making good meshes. ;)

It's like trying to make textures with MS Paint instead of PhotoShop. Sure you can do it, but once you've been exposed to PhotoShop you'll never go back to MS Paint. Ever.

Upvote 0
You could make a spherical brush and then clip it to make it a dome then convert it to a static mesh

Yes this is what I had already done.

This really is the truth if you want to create custom static meshes. Take the time to learn a modeling program and then look back and imagine trying to do it all with BSP. Only then will you truly realize how bad BSP is for making good meshes. ;)

It's like trying to make textures with MS Paint instead of PhotoShop. Sure you can do it, but once you've been exposed to PhotoShop you'll never go back to MS Paint. Ever.

Any good free 3d modeling programs + tutorials that you would recommend would be welcome. The trim around this church I made looks good but when I looked at how many triangles there were it was OVER 9000!!!!!!

Infact it was 19,000

Upvote 0
question: on some stock maps some static meshes disappear at a certain distance, by example the statics inside buildings that you will never be able to see from far away anyway.
i searched but i cant find any options in the statics properties that set this interesting feature, does anyone know how to set this?

what you are looking for is described in the optimization wiki articles. The one thing is culling distance. The other is zoning.

Upvote 0
question: on some stock maps some static meshes disappear at a certain distance, by example the statics inside buildings that you will never be able to see from far away anyway.
i searched but i cant find any options in the statics properties that set this interesting feature, does anyone know how to set this?

yes setting the cull distance to 0 it will never disappear setting it to something else will make it disappear at that UU distance.
If your static is within a seperate zone like a building the bsp will cull based on what you can see so if you look through the window you could see the coatrack but if you move away from the window it will cull that static because it is not in your LOS same if you are inside a building looking out of the window it because you are looking out of the zone it will only let you see what is in LOS. I think thats right.

Upvote 0
I have copied a static mesh from another map which I think might be in that maps my level. Anyhow when I look at my level in my map it has a whole bunch of SMeshs that I am not using or dont need how do I get those out of there? And did this copy process just load the entire other maps mylevel into mine?

Whenever you load a map the contents of its mylevel package will show up even when opening a different map. To see what your mylevel package actually contains close unrealed then restart and open just your map. Copying one Smesh from a different level will not copy everything from mylevel.

Upvote 0
is it possible to make some sort of "groups" of statics and bsp's?
by example, i make all my building in my special building map and then copy paste them to the real map containing all the other buildings, and set it in place. but afterwards when i want to detail a certain building more, i need to select that building only and put it back to my building map, where it is more easy and fast to do changes.
so is there a "group" function in unrealed like there was in cod radiant? this could make my life alot more easy.

Upvote 0
is it possible to make some sort of "groups" of statics and bsp's?
by example, i make all my building in my special building map and then copy paste them to the real map containing all the other buildings, and set it in place. but afterwards when i want to detail a certain building more, i need to select that building only and put it back to my building map, where it is more easy and fast to do changes.
so is there a "group" function in unrealed like there was in cod radiant? this could make my life alot more easy.

The big 'G' on the toolbar is for groups. As long as everything in your map is grouped it makes things much easier then switching between maps.

Upvote 0
meh thanks smokey, me needs to look at those 90% of the buttons i never touched before more oftenly :p

while i am at it,
: how come my no-arty volumes never seem to stop any arty? do i need to tag them to a spawnarea or something?

and after mapping a year i still dont know how to make it so that when players use a voicechat message on the map, that is automatically mentions in what area of the map they are? ive disected other maps looking for volumes or other stuff, but cant find anything that does this.

Upvote 0
meh thanks smokey, me needs to look at those 90% of the buttons i never touched before more oftenly :p

while i am at it,
: how come my no-arty volumes never seem to stop any arty? do i need to tag them to a spawnarea or something?

and after mapping a year i still dont know how to make it so that when players use a voicechat message on the map, that is automatically mentions in what area of the map they are? ive disected other maps looking for volumes or other stuff, but cant find anything that does this.
I think the No-arty volumes do need to be attached to a spawn check the TWI SDK manual I think it is in there I think the volumes only block the SL from using the binocs to set the arty on the spots in the volume not sure if it blocks the actual shells or not.
The other are volumes I think they are white in maps and I believe they are communication volumes or there is just a property that you can name like "warehouse" which names your area on the chat This will only show though when you use a command or type your chat bit. Not when you speak in the mic. would be nice though since it shows who is talking anyway it should show their location volume as well.

Upvote 0
I guess something is wrong with your Zones due to BSP-Holeyesque bugs and the one you want your terrain in is somewhere else. I actually had that problem not too long ago.

I placed a ZoneInfo outside of my buildings, set some fog and made it the terrain zone. When I took a look ingame I found out that the fog was only in a small part inside the wall somewhere!
I streamlined the BSP a bit, converted to staticmesh what was convertable and after a few hours and rebuilds it finally worked again.

Upvote 0
It's very strange everything is working fine, I have only 2 zones (skybox and large terrain zone) and a few buildings. When I try and add a new building from a construction level the lighting goes crazy and the terrain sometimes disappears. Here are some screens so you can see what I mean

Working fine:
test2.jpg

After adding church from construction level:
test-1.jpg

Note the church is not zoned or anything. The lighting goes crazy and the distance fog doesn't work. If anyone wants to help PM me and I can send the map over xfire.

Upvote 0