• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gunslinger Perk - Yes or No?

Gunslinger Perk - Yes or No?

• Total voters
Unlikely. The SS's headshot damage was high enough to drop a scrake with a dual HC mag emptied in his head. The gunslinger won't be able to dish out that much damage, even with extended mags. Or at least I hope he won't.
I've seen people single HC a scrake as SS with a mag to the head(on hard. I've only just recently started playing suicidal.) So i can't say anything for suicidal, but hey, if this game was balanced around suicidal the firebug might actually be useful in suicidal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're still aiming for the head regardless of which perk you play(or at least you should be) and the head naturally has less health than the body. So regardless of headshot bonus or not, you could probably still take down a scrake as gunslinger with a HC in a mag(mag for gunslinger should be bigger than SS).

True, we do, but the gunsligner wont have the damage bonus of a weapon PLUS the headshot damage bonus added on afterwards like the sharpshooter. 60% + base damage PLUS a extra 50% more damage if its a head shot. Good for slow hitting sniper weapons, but with pistols it gets retarded.

All we want for it is a 55% damage bonus at level 6 for the gunslinger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
True, we do, but the gunsligner wont have the damage bonus of a weapon PLUS the headshot damage bonus added on afterwards like the sharpshooter. 60% + base damage PLUS a extra 50% more damage if its a head shot. Good for slow hitting sniper weapons, but with pistols it gets retarded.

All we want for it is a 55% damage bonus at level 6 for the gunslinger.

So just the base damage plus the usual headshot bonus? I assume your keeping headshot damage here. Sounds pretty good. Of course, it wouldn't exactly solo a FP, but not that many classes can, and most of those use tons of ammo.

Upvote 0
So just the base damage plus the usual headshot bonus? I assume your keeping headshot damage here. Sounds pretty good. Of course, it wouldn't exactly solo a FP, but not that many classes can, and most of those use tons of ammo.

No, no headshot bonus. Just 55% base damage, like every other perk has for their weapon.

Headshot bonus:

1) Is sharpshooter's "signature";

2) Doesn't fit neither of the proposed gunslingers' playstyles.

Upvote 0
No, no headshot bonus. Just 55% base damage, like every other perk has for their weapon.

Headshot bonus:

1) Is sharpshooter's "signature";

2) Doesn't fit neither of the proposed gunslingers' playstyles.

I meant the usual damage bonus that comes with heading the zed's head.
The SS bonus belongs to SS. Adding it to the GS would just make it SS-Lite

Upvote 0
commando: Bullpup, ak47, scar
sharpshooter: 9mm, hand cannon, LAR, crossbow, m14

the sharp shooter has too many heavy hitters
Best thing I see now - and yes I do take back anything I've said in the past to the contrary - is to overhaul the xbow to make it tier 3 and tweak the EBR to be a sort of "slow food" alternative to the SCAR.

You still don't have a clean "three purchasable weapons for each perk" symmetry, of course, but at least the variation is a bit more spread around.

Upvote 0
Theres a perk to counter every other specimens special ability but sirens so why would it be so unbearable idea..?

clot grap > berserker
bloat bile > medic and berserker
stalker stealth > commando
scrake rage > ss or zerker
fleshpound rage > ss
husk fireball > firebug
siren scream > ???

Gorefasts and crawlers can be countered by any perk, altho zerker might have trouble with crawlers.

But the point is, if you want gunslinger to have a real purpose the logical solition would be making it somehow anti siren since currently no perk has direct resistance to her abilities. Maybe no actual damage resistance but at least the "no screenshake" ability?

And keep in mind that the upcoming balance update will most likely make things a bit harder, and hopefully fleshpound will become a fearsome beast again.

Upvote 0
Theres a perk to counter every other specimens special ability but sirens so why would it be so unbearable idea..?

clot grap > berserker
bloat bile > medic and berserker
stalker stealth > commando
scrake rage > ss or zerker
fleshpound rage > ss
husk fireball > firebug
siren scream > ???

Gorefasts and crawlers can be countered by any perk, altho zerker might have trouble with crawlers.

But the point is, if you want gunslinger to have a real purpose the logical solition would be making it somehow anti siren since currently no perk has direct resistance to her abilities. Maybe no actual damage resistance but at least the "no screenshake" ability?

And keep in mind that the upcoming balance update will most likely make things a bit harder, and hopefully fleshpound will become a fearsome beast again.

Again, all of those resistances make sense whereas a Siren resistance doesn't. A Commando is a specific elite military unit or soldier, so it makes sense that he'd be able to see the "stealth" specimens. Bloat bile resistance makes sense for Zerk and Medic because both (Medic less so, but still) are often in the thick of combat either healing or chopping up specimens.

Zerk Clot-grab makes sense because who wants to be the dedicated melee class if you can be grabbed and stopped by the weakest specimen in the game? Sharpshooter technically has no resistances but it makes sense that he'd take out the big guys seeing as well...he's a sharpshooter/sniper class. Fire resistance makes sense because, as I said, the class is called firebug for a reason. Zerk Scrake stun only works well if teammates watch your back and keep other guys off of you.

The Siren resistance you are proposing makes no sense in gameplay. Give Gunslinger a real purpose as opposed to an arbitrary damage resistance.

Upvote 0
If ANY perk is to have siren resistance, It should be Berserker just so he doesn't have to switch weapons more than he already does. Or demo's grenades. I don't think GS should have siren resistance, there's no logical reason to.

And as to that balance update. Yeah, we'll get it when we sacrifice a virgin to the great volcano god. Since we're all civilized here, that's probably never going to happen.

Upvote 0
The Siren resistance you are proposing makes no sense in gameplay. Give Gunslinger a real purpose as opposed to an arbitrary damage resistance.

Fair point I guess, would you swing with no resistance to Siren Scream damage, but retaining the gunslingers resistance to on screen effects, such as her screen shake, bloat acid, stalker scratch, etc?

Would encourage him to be a run and gun perk, on the move picking off specimens that are viable.

Upvote 0
Fair point I guess, would you swing with no resistance to Siren Scream damage, but retaining the gunslingers resistance to on screen effects, such as her screen shake, bloat acid, stalker scratch, etc?

Would encourage him to be a run and gun perk, on the move picking off specimens that are viable.

That sounds a little better, but how would that be scaled to perk level? 10% less for level 1, 20% for level 2, etc? How would that be coded? Is that even possible to code?

Upvote 0

Bonuses should encourage a certain behaviour.
Commandos are encouraged to pick off stalkers, supports are encouraged to weld and to line up enemies, berserkers are encouraged to go close to enemies and medics are encouraged to heal a lot.

Now why would you encourage gunslingers to go near sirens if that perk has ranged weapons?

Upvote 0
I'm sure it could be coded, after all the magnitude of the current screen shake and the interference on screen for each different attack had to be programmed, so I'm sure they could be scaled down by a certain percentage.

I posted this table a while back, Siren Resistance was on it, but I will take it off
Spoiler!

I figured this stun effect should get quite big in higher perklevels and game difficulties when they become more of a problem. Course it could just go L0: 10%, L1: 20%, L2: 30%, L: 40%, L: 50%, L: 60%, L: 70% but whatever :)

Explanation to why I chose these perks, again minus the siren part :)

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What exactly is the point of a no screen-shake feature if you can still be damaged by Bloat bile and Sirens? That doesn't encourage running and gunning in any way as you'd still have to be out of range of these specimens in order to kill them. It'd be like the screen-shake resistance didn't exist at all. It makes about as much sense as the Siren damage reduction, which is...none.

Upvote 0