• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fallout 3....

The problem with the dialogue system in Oblivion is that there isn't a dialogue system in Oblivion. That would require two parties engaged in conversation, instead it provides the character telling you a bunch of stuff and you clicking on topics which are in no way tied to the skill system, and sometimes playing a minigame.

Upvote 0
Well, I can't speak for Oblivion but I loved the way conversations were handled in Morrowind (I guess its quite similar). No needless chitchat if you didn't want to. Just straight to the topic, and if you want to know some trivia, then you are free to ask anyone about it, while wiser/smarter people had more topics to chose from. That way you could talk to people about more than that one side quest they were offering and you actually had to search and talk to get that side quest to begin with. Not like in some games were you encounter someone and the first thing he does is to ask you for something and the last thing he does is to give ou the reward and after that he can't talk to you anymore.:rolleyes:

That was pretty unique and awesome and in some cases, chosing a topic would even result in multiple choice conversations like you are used to from other games. So talking yourself out of situations and make moral choices was still possible.

All in all it was pretty much perfect, as far as rpg conversations can ever be called perfect.:p

Ahhhhh. Morrowind. *sigh*

Upvote 0
The problem with the dialogue system in Oblivion is that there isn't a dialogue system in Oblivion. That would require two parties engaged in conversation, instead it provides the character telling you a bunch of stuff and you clicking on topics which are in no way tied to the skill system, and sometimes playing a minigame.

The whole human relations/emotions system in Oblivion is wonked- the harder they tried to make you feel part of a human world the more detached you became: NPCs conversing nearby but usually it goes "what do you want?" (peeved)- "I saw a mudcrab today" (answered he talkatively), top of the line actors but only like 6 of them dubbing hundreds of characters, major NPC has died- his name not even mentioned and his body lying there to rot forever, less major NPC died- the head of the guild mourn him solemnley but bids you farewell cheerfully cos he likes you.... and so on.

At some stage it became like a comedy for me, I just sat there and laughed.

Upvote 0
ah... Morrowind, so many good memories. I loved the diverse enviroments in that game, as well as the fact that joining certain factions limited you from joining others, and and a quest that you do in one faction may change some aspects of another faction. plus, each cave, mine, tomb, and dungeon had its own different feel, inhabitants that made sense, and a number of them even had their own back-stories and mini side quests.

Upvote 0
Tbh, I'm glad it isn't done from an isometric view. That would suck ***.
It didn't suck (we can say suck again. Gone are the days of sukky succyness! THANK YOU!:D) in the RPGs I played.
Of course, for a shooter the view is rather limiting and if that's what they want Fallout to be then I don't want to play it anyway. Iso-view or not.

Its a crying shame that that view isn't best suited to show off all your fancy shaders you put into your game and that some folks can't resist to make close up screenshots and claim that the graphics would be bad. In a world were screenshots sell your game, and screenshots only, this is of course unacceptable...
Other than that I can't see anything that's wrong with an isomatric view.

I seriously miss the days of Baldur's Gate and the like. Where Baldur's Gate 2 didn't look any better than the first one but was still a revolution. Where Icewind Dale 2 had the guts to look as dated as Icewind Dale 1 but it still rocked. It makes me sad just thinking about it. Most people I know wouldn't even play the old Fallout or Fallout 2 if they were a free-game.

God forbid, the graphics leave a lot to your imagination. Imagination is what MAKES role-playing games. The actual game is just the platfom for it. That's what role-playing is all about ffs!

Modern pop-corn kiddy gamers (not you Xendance. Just generally speaking) who can't imagine anything that isn't layed out in front of them in polygon-masses, HDR and shader contruction just can't appreciate that.

Upvote 0
I loved Fallout 2, I have it installed atm tbh. But if I could choose between the old-school isometric view and 3rd person, I would choose the 3rd person. The viewpoint in the game is all the same to me. I would play it either way. And the combat, well... it sounds a bit "weird" right now. But it was annoying to wait for all the NPCs to have their turns. That's why I used the almost real time combat system in Fallout Tactics.

Upvote 0
I played the demo of Fallout 1 (or 2) a long time ago. I really liked the post apocalypse world of it (it's what I like;)). So I really don't have the time to read through the whole thread but Bethesda is making the 3rd version as a FPS? Well I would love a FPS post-apocalypse game done in a serious manner and not resorting to cheesy enemies and mindnumbing simplistic gameplay however I am extremely sceptical of bethesda because their FPS combat is of the most horrid and simplistic kind judging by their Elderscrolls games (keep hitting enemy till his "health" runs out and he falls to the ground with no visable signs of any damage or trauma). STALKER came close to succeding but it failed immensely due to noob catering & lack of a free world & gameplay and unwillingness to create a game which treated gamers as adults who can make their own decisions rather than forcing you on a prescribed path and scripting your experience so you are assured never to want to play a 2nd time as nothing significant will ever change. I'm so very tired of games made for kids, I want some good FPS games made for adults.

Upvote 0
The AI is going to use a 'tweaked' oblivion AI (terrible) the gamemap will be 'slightly smaller' then the oblivion one (ie. tiny) its going to be set entirely within Washington DC (no desert).

I don't mind a change of perspective or real time, but it's just got nothing at all to do with the Fallout world. Why bother with the liscense if its got nothing to do with the original games (well more money)

Note the things in the previous screenshot that are bad:

We can see it's made for consoles, (rb, b) so it's dumbed down for starters as well as being hamstrung with lower quality textures because of graphics limitations.

The compass from Oblivion is still in place (bottom left)

Super Mutant's look nothing like previous Fallout mutants. Call me a fanboi if you want but don't just slap a brand name on something and not even look at the previous games, old as they may be.

Upvote 0
I seriously miss the days of Baldur's Gate and the like. Where Baldur's Gate 2 didn't look any better than the first one but was still a revolution. Where Icewind Dale 2 had the guts to look as dated as Icewind Dale 1 but it still rocked. It makes me sad just thinking about it. Most people I know wouldn't even play the old Fallout or Fallout 2 if they were a free-game.

I agree, the world needs more games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate. Those were the days when the class you chose actually meant something and it was well, role-playing? RPGs just haven't been the same anymore, it's a pity :(.

And the Radiant AI is terrible, Bethesda boasted about how great it was going to be prior to the release of Oblivion, but it was perhaps the worst AI I've ever experienced in a game. It was nowhere near life-like as they had promised, and it was so retarded it was funny to watch.

Upvote 0
I played the demo of Fallout 1 (or 2) a long time ago. I really liked the post apocalypse world of it (it's what I like;)). So I really don't have the time to read through the whole thread but Bethesda is making the 3rd version as a FPS? Well I would love a FPS post-apocalypse game done in a serious manner and not resorting to cheesy enemies and mindnumbing simplistic gameplay however I am extremely sceptical of bethesda because their FPS combat is of the most horrid and simplistic kind judging by their Elderscrolls games (keep hitting enemy till his "health" runs out and he falls to the ground with no visable signs of any damage or trauma). STALKER came close to succeding but it failed immensely due to noob catering & lack of a free world & gameplay and unwillingness to create a game which treated gamers as adults who can make their own decisions rather than forcing you on a prescribed path and scripting your experience so you are assured never to want to play a 2nd time as nothing significant will ever change. I'm so very tired of games made for kids, I want some good FPS games made for adults.

Fallout 1 and 2 are still available on a combo-CD Rom for about $15 and very worthwhile if you don't mind the dated graphics.
I completely agree with your assessment of Bethesda. I found the graphics and immersive aspects of Morrowind great, and the world had real depth. But the character interactions were very weak and the combat was horrible- just dull and repetitive, with spells that all did the same thing, physical combat like you just described and a few monster types repeated over and over.
Fallout 3 as a Bethesda FPS? I just can't see it working.

Upvote 0
If the game is going to encompass only a small part of DC and no desert, just where the hell is this Vault? Ever notice that throughout the entire Fallout series not one single Vault located in an inhabited city remained closed? That's because they're piss easy to break into.I wonder if the people making this game even know about the radioactive twisters in the Midwest?

Odd, when you reply the Enter key doesn't count as a new line, but it does on the edit menu.

Upvote 0
I agree, the world needs more games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate. Those were the days when the class you chose actually meant something and it was well, role-playing? RPGs just haven't been the same anymore, it's a pity :(.

This is funny as hell to mention in a Fallout thread, to be honest, because Fallout doesn't work that way. You can throw your skill points into anything; the tag skills improve faster, but that's it.

Quietus: STALKER wasn't done that way "For kids" it was done that way because a true non-linear game is HARD to make. They had to cut and cut and cut and they still were years late of their planned release date.

Upvote 0