• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fallout 3....

But if kids see people having sex they might try it too (looks like fun, doesn't it?:D) and being kids they don't know much about what happens afterwards and those after effects are rarely thematized in movies. Pregnancy, infections, HIV tests etc.

Well, the problem is that depending on age and how they were brought up, they can see violence as a harmless subject too. It really gave me the creeps when I read about the 11-12-year-old kid who had brought a gun to school and shot his/her teacher and classmates. When things like that happen, it isn't caused by movies or games

Upvote 0
I think you Europeans are looking at it from a very European perspective and I honestly think you've got it wrong. Don't mistake my tone, I think you're taking a rational look at the problem, but that isn't going to work here. I think the root of this problem is just the opposite.

Before I continue, lets try not to take this thread too far off topic, lest it be closed. Also, this is merely my opinion based on observation, this is not an attack on anyone and does not require anyone to get defensive or even aggressive in response. I'm simply calling it as I truly believe it to be.

I honestly believe that this moral issue of violence, sex and nudity in the US stems directly from the far right-wing, ultra conservative Christian groups. They have the loudest voice and considerable political muscle, but the narrowest world view. They base their lives off the exact wording in the Bible, taking every word as the direct word of god and therefore, undeniably true. Now that's their right, but when you approach the world from that angle, violence is ok (even encouraged against anyone perceived as not believing the exact same as you), but nudity is wrong and sex is evil - something to be avoided unless for procreation. That's how it is in the Bible (yes, I've read it), so that's how it has to be in the real world. Being a particulary loud minority, those beliefs then filter out across the nation via the media, resulting over time in a country whose people's moral standing on many issues has a lot more in common with those of certain middle-eastern nations than they'd like to believe.

If you think about it though, there's a pattern across the world. The places with the greatest tolerance for violence but the least tolerance for anything remotely sexual tend to be those where the religious majority is more conservative. Countries with more moderate or liberal majorities on the other hand, tend to see sex as a good thing and violence as something to be stamped out or censored.

Considering today's political climate and the strength of certain lobbying groups in the US, I don't think you're going to get the "adult" games you want. Apart from the fact that it reduces sales and thus profits, there's no way to stop some obnoxious, know-it-all brat from getting the games anyway. A couple of clicks on the internet can get you anything and parents know it, but instead of taking responsibility, they try to pass the buck. It's something they've learned from all those greedy lawyers - it's always someone else's fault. They should fix it, not us.

Upvote 0
I basically agree with most of your asessments PsYcH0 Ch!cKeN. I'm not going to get political since TW hates that. Scenario: kid gets M or AO rated game, parent sees him playing it on his PC or console, parent takes the CD and cracks it in 2. Kid then goes over to friends house but luckily that parent knows what's up and doesn't let their kid play that stuff either. So as we can see the parents are the ones with ultimate control. why don't they use it? If they are good parents they will, if not then whos fault is that then?

Like I said there are movies out in theatres that are FAR worse than any video game I've ever seen and nobody even gives it a second thought. *13 year old* "hey let's go sneak in to see SAW or HOSTEL or insert sick flick of the week here" This happens ALL THE TIME. WTH are the stoned theatre employees doing to stop it? Not enough apparently. And nobody has a problem with that but with video games OH NO THIS HAS GOT TO STOP. WE NEED TO STAMP OUT ADULT GAMES ASAP!! IT'S JUST TOO MUCH! Yet they convienently ignore the movie situation.

Hypocrites & double standards are awesome. So I guess since actual enforcement is off the table why don't we just eliminate the AO and M ratings all together and just have teen and under? Since nobody can be responsible for anything let's water eveything down to a level a 12 year olds mind can handle.

Upvote 0
I come here to read something about FO 3 and all I see is America vs. Europe :D
It's related to video game ratings, there's no VS. I'll bet Fallout 3 will be rated M at the most but even then it will probably be a soft M (like how Oblivion is rated M too) and that was a pretty hardcore game right? Bethesdas "M" is most other game makers "T" (teen). All in my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What's REALLY sad though is all those people on the official forums giving heartfelt suggestions and coming up with excellent ideas on how to make the game unbelievably deep and possibly go down as one of the greatest First person RPG's ever created, and not yet realizing that their efforts are very likely futile. IMO bethesda doesn't care nor will they ever because I believe they are going to make the game they intend to make and the course of action for the end product & target audience is already locked down.

At best all those fans are doing is just expressing their frustration but I'll bet nothing will come of it (except more frustration & anger) IMO, Fallout 3 is already a foregone conclusion and it'd be wise to just drop it and walk away and find other games worthy of respect. Let them wallow in their own mediocrity. Oh and as I mentioned before DO NOT BUY THE GAME if you are displeased with. You are just adding insult to injury (of yourself). Cash $ign$ are the only "language" that appears to register with these Co's. All this is my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think best would be to simply "wait" but don't loose any thoughts on Fallout 3 untill it's out. That's a waste of time and energy imo.
If it's out and proves to be good, well fine, if not, well fine you just saved some money or saved time downloading.

Going back to play Fallout 1. Damn you all! That costs me a lot of time where I could learn. :D

Upvote 0
I believe the non-linearity when I see it. I remember too vividly what Oblivion was ought to be if you had taken the devs by their words.
Exactly. Just because that one "to blow or not to blow" megaton town scenario seems like you have some options is no guarantee that the rest of the game will recieve that level of attention. It could just be they are highlighting that one scenario to attempt to appease the "fanatics" out there. You notice they don't mention you are free to go wherever? Are you forced to go to this "megaton" first or can you go wherever?

I've been monitoring most the new previews that have popped up within the last few days and the new info isn't helping me change my stance. My guess is that it will be less linear than STALKER but that's still not saying much. I hate hate hate! "connect the dots" gameplay. Also what all this talk about "quests"? I don't like how bethesda does it's "quests" at all. Morrowind had a ton of quests but unfortunately I couldn't find one that was genuinely intriguing. "Go get this N bring it back" & "go kill this N report back" type quests are really tiresome and pointless to me.

Why quests? Why not just have the game a survival type game where your "quest" is to figure out how to merely stay alive day to day? I don't want to go get some trinkets and bring them back to some drone with zero personality just so I can collect a likely superflous reward. Game designers should have just one goal of a game (find family, escape, locate mankind saving secret facilty, etc etc) and then the entire world should play out totally non-linear and allow you to carve your own path through it and leave the means up to the player.

No handholding, just "here is the eventual goal you seek but it's entirely up to you to determine how you get there" Course this is what I'd like to see in a general post-apoc game not neccessarily Fallout.

Upvote 0
That review summed up my expectations:
straight up first person shooter with RPG elements accompanied by bullet time (or bullet stop) named VATS and you sometimes can choose to take a route to right or left, kill Bob or don't kill him and get a few different cutscenes / scripted events on those few occasions. :p

Upvote 0
That review summed up my expectations:
straight up first person shooter with RPG elements accompanied by bullet time (or bullet stop) named VATS and you sometimes can choose to take a route to right or left, kill Bob or don't kill him and get a few different cutscenes / scripted events on those few occasions. :p

I thought Fallout was like that (minus the FPS elements + vats). Fallout 2 wasn't that open ended imo, towns either flourished or died, and some just died :p

Upvote 0
"Why quests?" well maybe because Fallout 1 and 2 had quests?
Yeah but bethesda don't excell at quests IMO hence my scepticism.
Look at this: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/568/568806/vids_1.html

Here's a direct quote out of it at the 8:34-8:52 point.

I mean obviously the gameplay and all that stuff.. But I don't think that in itself separates it enough;.....from, you know alot of games. You know I think the main thing that makes it special is that is that tone and style.

Gameplay and all that "stuff", yeah sheesh! WTH is with these freaks who demand excellent gameplay eh? So essentially he's implying the main thing that will distinguish it is the visuals AKA graphics. Wow I would've never guessed! This is totally "coming out of left field" or something. Such a innovative idea to have awesome graphics as the primary focus of a "game" rather than "gameplay". All those other games have proved what a good idea it is to focus on graphics as job #1. That's what makes a game a true classic is the graphics, people just keep coming back for those sweet sweet graphics. Notice how most revered classic games have terrible gamplay yet awesome graphics. Bethesda are on the right track IMO.

My sarcasm is not directed at you Xendance.;)

Upvote 0