• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fallout 3....

judging by the poly distribution and the fact that one of the devs stated that the video was taken in-engine, I think it's a safe bet that Fallout 3 will not be an isometric-view game.

Well, in-engine is not in-game, this might very well be rendered by the game engine, but no doubt the map and animations where especially made for this vid-clip, and says nothing usefull about what we can expect.

But yes, i too doubt it will be isometric view.. infact im very much afraid it will be in third person, that is Bethesda's style afterall (but one could allways hope for first person, atleast that will be playable, if a bit at odds with the origional games).

Upvote 0
Hmm. I understand what you're saying, but I think it's a tough call myself.

The clip is definitely in-engine, but the quality of the textures and props is abysmal. Look at the ceiling of the bus/tram/thing and at the brackets holding the rails in place. Ultra-low resolution textures and even 2D textures with alpha maps to simulate certain pieces. Considering the high level of everything graphical in Oblivion, I find it hard to believe that Bethesda would go backwards on that unless they were intending for the game to be seen from a distance and angle where you can't tell, i.e. an isometric view.

Of course, everything they've said points towards an Oblivionesque first-person style, but who knows for sure? Only those who've signed NDA's, so we wait and see.

Upvote 0
The clip is definitely in-engine, but the quality of the textures and props is abysmal.

They look fine to me mate. I study video games design and 3d animation and after a few views I still cant see anything wrong with them. Anyway, even if they were low res textures, they bloody should be if it was ingame shots. Any texture artist who put high res textures on the ceiling brackets of a level prop would be beaten to death by the project leader lol (had a mate once make 3,000 poly bullets for our FPS game. Took us weeks to work out why everything was crashing in game :p )

Anyway. . . Yay, Ron Perlman is back! Hearing the music at the beginning really did cheer me up. Reminded me of the first time I played the Fallout 1 intro animation. The Nuka cola bottle on the bus also made me smile :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but the quality of the textures and props is abysmal.
Could be the fact they are creating a sandbox game on the Source engine.

It's in pre-alpha phase if I recall correctly, and perhaps the engine isn't optimized for this type of rendering.
Any texture artist who put high res textures on the ceiling brackets of a level prop would be beaten to death by the project leader lol
Isn't it that you should create high-res textures which are rescaled later, so they can be used in future projects?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's it that you should create high-res textures which are rescaled later, so they can be used in future projects?

Depends. If we're talking something that can actually be used later in a high res format then yeah (e.g. a bolt nut for an extremem close up shot), but something like a ceiling bracket? Doubt it. Be just a waste of time. If someone spent a few hours making a texture for that when I was in project teams I'd be pissed off, and I imagine games companies are even stricter with their time allocations.

Upvote 0
Could be the fact they are creating a sandbox game on the Source engine.

It's in pre-alpha phase if I recall correctly, and perhaps the engine isn't optimized for this type of rendering.It's it that you should create high-res textures which are rescaled later, so they can be used in future projects?

What the hell are you talking about? Source? It's using gamebryo.

Upvote 0
Ok, lets ignore the sprite-bracket as being insignificant and look at something a little more meaningful. Look at the side of the bus. The entire thing is a single brush with an alpha mapped texture over it. It has no depth, i.e. it's a 2D surface with transparencies rather than a 3D object with edges, holes, etc. For a first person game, it's very 1999, so as per my last post, it would lean towards the view being from a different perspective where it is difficult to see and doesn't affect the game.

Upvote 0
Ok, lets ignore the sprite-bracket as being insignificant and look at something a little more meaningful. Look at the side of the bus. The entire thing is a single brush with an alpha mapped texture over it. It has no depth, i.e. it's a 2D surface with transparencies rather than a 3D object with edges, holes, etc. For a first person game, it's very 1999, so as per my last post, it would lean towards the view being from a different perspective where it is difficult to see and doesn't affect the game.

I see what your saying but you have to admit that if you just happened across that bus in game midst the rest of the game world I dont think that you would be disappointed at all in its level of detail. Sure, for a trailer, maybe they should have stepped it up a little bit. Especially considering that the audience would have nothing to do for 20 seconds besides stare at the inside of the bus. But if in fact that is a real model that one would run across in-game then I thinks its great. Plus it was ballsy of bethesda to include actual ingame assets in a slow, movie-like, most-devs-would-have-pre-rendered trailer.

Upvote 0
No, no, stop defending the poor quality of the texture work inside the bus. If it's like that on purpose, there's hope for non-FPS view (some zoomable 3rd person, maybe) and that means the combat could be turn-based. :D

Now, if they only change their kindergarten dialogue and story writers to adults, I'd be a happy man.

Upvote 0
If the camera can't be rotated I'm going to be pissed. That was the one thing that always annoyed me about the Fallout series.

It appears that the BoS v NCR thing was from Van Buren, so its off the tables now. I'm kind of glad, the ending of the first Fallout actually out and said that the Brotherhood faded into the background as an R&D house when their technology started to integrate with NCR society. It isn't like the Brotherhood to actually get off their asses and do something.

And this damn well better be 80 years after Fallout 2, and I damn well better be the Chosen One's grandchild. And maybe the map will again be expanded. The world map went from SoCal to Oregon-California-Nevada, so I want to be able to push further east. Maybe that'll be a plot element, and NCR and other rebuilt states.

Upvote 0
As a person who absolutely loved the first 2 Fallout releases, I'm disappointed to see the name picked up by Bethesda. It wasn't the graphics that made Fallout great. It was the whole package- storyline, nonlinearity, content, etc. I don't expect Bethesda to come up with anything like the original Fallout feel. It's more likely they'll produce some repetitive piece of crap FPS "role player" with some pretty graphics and cash in on the Fallout name.

Upvote 0