• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does anyone use bolt actions any more?

Bolt-action rifles are disadvantaged. The real world advantage they had was infinitely higher reliability (and much cheaper). But the developers chose to not have reliability simulated because they thought people don't want their weapons to behave that realistically (i.e. see jamming/unreliable feeding as infuriating unfairness). I hope they change this because I would love to have weapons that behave more realistically. There are many types of malfunctions that are non-catastrophical and are cleared by just cycling the bolt once.

If my MG-34 is going to jam then I want a person feeding the belt for me. :(

Upvote 0
Besides the rest of your trollish & sarcastic quip at Ramm:

"(btw, your post really doesn't address the issue regarding quantity)"

and where was I complaining? "*looks*"

Or did you just not mean any of your sarcastic remarks and just wanted to post more trolling?

This sentence hardly makes sense to be honest

You obviously believe there's an "Issue regarding Quantity".... Quantity in regards to this topic = Riflemen..... Issue = Lack there of.

and? Yes, there is an issue when there are only 4 riflemen and 28 other. Not sure where you are going with this, I never said there wasn't an issue.

Derp yourself....

:IS2:

I contribute more to the game when I pick the Commander or MG classes, but that's not contributing to the "Problem" relating to this topic... so if you're not going to contribute to the topic, if you didn't mean anything of which you posted before about there being a problem in said topic, and if you are not offering any sort of solution to the problem or the lack of a specific class.... why are you even posting in this topic, unless you're here just to troll and attack other members & the devs any chance you get?

I believe you attacked me first buddy, so don't start with the morality nonsense. Also I'm not sure how I'm suppose to "solve" the problems in Ro2. I can even make the argument (and I have) that I take one smg away... and when I'm not MGer or SL, I go rifleman. Not sure how you can neatly categorize me as the "problem":rolleyes: I suppose I should try and join every server simultaneously and choose rifleman?

Do you even remember what the topic is anymore?
You can do better than that...

yup yup

Upvote 0
If my MG-34 is going to jam then I want a person feeding the belt for me. :(
I have never seen the belt for the MG-34 in the game. Will most likely be kind of gamey if able to have it and use it single handedly. But either way, MGs probably mostly get dud rounds now and then (they fire so many many cartridges) requiring pulling the bolt handle back and forth once rapidly to manually feed the next cartridge and resume shooting. I think. Could be done in 1.5 seconds. Stuff like that should not annoy people too much, but add lots of immersion.

Upvote 0
I have never seen the belt for the MG-34 in the game. Will most likely be kind of gamey if able to have it and use it single handedly. But either way, MGs probably mostly get dud rounds now and then (they fire so many many cartridges) requiring pulling the bolt handle back and forth once rapidly to manually feed the next cartridge and resume shooting. I think. Could be done in 1.5 seconds. Stuff like that should not annoy people too much, but add lots of immersion.

I've seen a lot of videos of the MG-34 being fed with a single hand, it actually looks relatively simple as well.

Upvote 0

I wouldn't rely on jams for balance or immersion. TWI said in a WTF is RO2 video that it would cause too much frustration for no benefit to the regular gamer. Plus coding time and possible bugs...

and btw, reloading the belt takes all of 1 second. Someone posted a video of it.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't rely on jams for balance or immersion. TWI said in a WTF is RO2 video that it would cause too much frustration for no benefit to the regular gamer. Plus coding time and possible bugs...

and btw, reloading the belt takes all of 1 second. Someone posted a video of it.
I think even average gamers would tolerate, even embrace, it, if it was logically applied to the weapons that had it in reality, such as the more fragile semi-automatic rifles. A fair trade-off for the huge firepower compared to bolt-action rifles. And a justification for bolt-action rifles to be used more than now.

I dread a 1 second reload time for a huge belt. Hrrrm.

Upvote 0
I think even average gamers would tolerate, even embrace, it, if it was logically applied to the weapons that had it in reality, such as the more fragile semi-automatic rifles. A fair trade-off for the huge firepower compared to bolt-action rifles. And a justification for bolt-action rifles to be used more than now.

I dread a 1 second reload time for a huge belt. Hrrrm.

I actually hate that they reload the belt in one second, its absolute crap, and the animations don't even match up, the belt flies onto the gun without the hand even touching it. I would totally be okay with it being slowed down.

Upvote 0
I think the only guys playing with bolts are posting here..... My experience is Semis fill up instantly, SMG's next, then LMG's and a few lone bolties.

I pretty much play with bolts or LMG's. Once combat moves indoors, which it tends to do far too quickly, bolts are at a definite, large disadvantage. Unless you're a manic bayo rusher which is pretty ridiculous IMO.

I think a greater point total for bolts is a fine idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good show boys keep up the argument

applause1234363884-1.gif

Upvote 0
I use the weapons which a soldier would prefer to use in urban enviroments: selfloading rifles, submachineguns, pistols, grenades and weapons suited for fast hand-to-hand-combat.

Yeah, the percentage of bolt action rifles is too low in almost every server, but if the soldiers back in the day had the choice, they would have choosen the far superior smg/ selfloading rifle as well. So stop hating against players who try to use the best equipment avaible.

Upvote 0
Would take a Semi over the bolt any chance I get. Spamming another shot can make up for poor hit detection. An sometimes you get that situation where a line of dudes decides to charge at once. With a bolt that's one kill an your dead. With a Semi its 3 or more kills.

Only class I would pick Bolt over I think would be over MG'er. It's so awkward to use the MG in this game. Gun is jumping around after like the second shot. An those tracer rounds are dumb IMO. Seeing the barrel flash should be enough without tracers showing everyone on the map where you are.

I definitely agree though that there needs to be servers that are heavier on the bolt action slots. They already have a loadout option that takes Pistols away from Rifleman. They need a loadout that takes SMG's away from all but Assault/Commander.

Upvote 0
I do play bolts sometimes, especially now I don't have any other weapons with bayo. Mostly play Commander, though, since otherwise the slot sits empty, or someone takes it only for the semi/auto weapon.

The only advantage I can see with bolts is that they force you to be disciplined in your rate of fire. Too often, when I'm using a semi-, I'll see an enemy and try to empty a whole magazine into them, with all but the first bullet going over their head.

If you discipline yourself to fire the semi-autos more like a bolter, there's no advantage whatsoever to bolts.

Upvote 0
I always play bolt, even in close quarters. I'm always at the top of the scoreboard too, or just under skilled assault players. Just got my Kar98k to level 50 tonight, the gun's looking brand new and the removed sight hood really makes a difference!

Now thinking about grinding pistols. Still dont know whats better c96 or p38

Upvote 0
I usually don't have a specific preference for any class. I just select them on a few basic rules based on this priority.

1. The team always needs a commander, if there's nobody commanding I'll take commander.

2. If I see the team is not doing enough teamwork, I'll pick Squad Leader

3. If there are not enough MGers on the map I'll pick MG

4. On small maps I prefer to use automatics, on medium sized maps I prefer to use semi auto and on long range maps I prefer the bolt action rifle. The AVT-40 is often also a choice on medium sized maps if there's enough close quarter combat.

5. All the other classes in the game are selected when I'm bored of shooting infantry and I want to blow up some tanks instead.

I personally don't think the bolt action class needs a score bonus for kills, I would rather see that bolt-action users get more ways to contribute to the team.
Like a score/speed bonus for capping the objective, that should encourage them to play like a team more often instead of camping out in the back.

Upvote 0
Bolts are fine as weapons. What is not fine is the consequence of a hit on a soldier. When you hit someone with a weapon he should be screming in pain, not taking a shot back at you then bandaging. When hitting someone running he should fall on the ground cause of the shot. Arma2 does perfectly from that point of view. When you get hit the first thing you see, even if it's not a lethal shot, is your soldier twisting his head, screaming in pain, not even thinking about shooting back at the other guy.

Reactions: Richey79
Upvote 0