• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Degeneration

22:48 - <@- __ <@-: read the rules
22:48 - =Z.E.D=TomboPukka: ive read them
22:49 - =Z.E.D=TomboPukka: "All maps must be comprised of only original content created by the Entrant(s), or content already contained in KF and the KFEd or any Tripwire-created from RO and the ROEd"
22:49 - <@- __ <@-: then post in the forums
22:49 - <@- __ <@-: well what that means
22:49 - <@- __ <@-: is you can make your own stuff
22:49 - <@- __ <@-: but it's gotta be 100% original

Well that is Alex of the KF dev team.
problem resolved.

Upvote 0
You can use your own textures. What that rule means is that you can legally use the copyrighted textures from KF and RO, AS WELL as any texture you make yourself.

Basically it means don't use textures from other games etc, or stuff that you don't own.

The competition is not going to be fair an equal by limiting what people can do, it is pretty much anything goes - so those that have better skills with texturing, modelling etc will of course have a better chance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, too bad my forte is in lvling. Btw im looking for a team of designers, check the threads for my post.

Well if you are really good at designing a level then there are still heaps of textures in KF and RO, you really shouldn't need any more since they suit the game style anyway.

Textures don't generally make a level fun, that comes down the the design. I know I said people that can texture have a better chance in my previous post, but what I should have said is people that know how to use the textures in the level.

Upvote 0
How can regular maps compete with this ;)

If I made a simple but really fun map using only KF/RO textures and static meshes, and it won over something like this, I'd be embarassed.

Maybe the rest of us can at least compete for a runner up prize.

On the 'positive' side, if the competiton inspires at least one really good map/mod like what Degenerations sounds like, that has got to do wonders for the game and its continued player base. I guess thats the whole idea.

Upvote 0
Map looks good, but personally I'm worried about the "Umbrella Corporation" -thing, especially if you're entering the contest.

This map is based on the event's of "The Hive" -map, which was sort of based on Resident Evil, right? So in a way, I wouldn't say that the story in this map is 100% "original content created by the Entrant(s)". This ought to be an easy problem to fix though.

Other than that, I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

Upvote 0
Map looks good, but personally I'm worried about the "Umbrella Corporation" -thing, especially if you're entering the contest.

This map is based on the event's of "The Hive" -map, which was sort of based on Resident Evil, right? So in a way, I wouldn't say that the story in this map is 100% "original content created by the Entrant(s)". This ought to be an easy problem to fix though.

Other than that, I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

IMO, so long as he wrote any bits of story in his own words, he is not 'copying' anything. IMO, saying that 'attempting to replicate' the story of RE-regen film is copying, would be like saying that 'attempting to replicate' the geometry, textures, meshes is copying too. But I'm sure would agree that the latter is his "own work". Just because someone draws inspiration from something doesn't mean they are copying it, although if you were to publish it to make money from it then you can't use any phrases that are trademarked, and Umbrella Corporation may be.

Upvote 0
RE logos and music is probably not allowed. I would give a pm maybe to alan (wilsonam on forums) on exact specifications of where copyright of things go.

A different gametype is allowed as stated in the rules but i would ask a little if modifying species is allowed.

In red orchestra during the contest some maps for gameplay purposes had stuff like limited tanks (so people had to be carefull). And only some classes having grenades or a map having 1 grenade. They needed to make class loadouts the same as the default game for consistency.

- I really hope it turns out well, tbh i was hoping for a KFS mapping competition rather than regular KF :(. Luckily atleast your map will still be allowed to be KFS. Hehe if the engine doesnt break maybe you can add all hive stuff into degeneration to make it 1 big uber map :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...although if you were to publish it to make money from it then you can't use any phrases that are trademarked, and Umbrella Corporation may be.

Yeah that's kinda what I was pursuing here. Assuming that the map just happens to take 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in the contest, and the map is going to be included in a official future KF update, that's when the Resident Evil -references should be removed.

...but now that I think of it, I'm not sure if it was ever said that the winning maps are going to be included in a official game update. That's what I've assumed from the beginning though, because that's what they did with that Red Orchestra mapping contest.

Upvote 0
I can assure you that every single texture in this map, is eiether

A. From Tripwire.

or

B. Done with my digital camera or in Adobe Photoshop.

The whole "Here They Come" overlay is custom made. And is only a spoof messege for when one of the waves come.
As far as the whole "Resident Evil" story line comes in, There is nothing in this map with a story line to RE.

Its a custom story. With custom textures. With custom meshes.
:)

Upvote 0
Just to clear up a few questions guys.

When we release this map, it will be intended for Single Player use only.
It has a story line to it, which players follow along during the gameplay.

When Wave 2 follows, we will introduce a story line for Multiplayer users, and a different layout of how the map works.

As it stands, the map is just under 90mb in size. But this is from the HUGE amount of detail the map is going under.
We are keeping an eye on resources that are being inputted, and making sure that the story is optimised for the Unreal Engine.

We still need to complete the map layout, and the storyline. Which should'nt take too long now.
We are hoping for a release in the Middle of July.

During this time, we will need beta-testers to download the map, and bug-test it.
If you think you have the courage, and the skill to bug-find, drop me a PM, and i will get back to you.:)

Upvote 0
Development is getting hotter with each passing day!
We got some new fresh content that no KF map has ever seen before!

Here is the April 2009 Development Screenshot!
development0409.jpg
That's not ripped from L4D is it? Sorry if it isn't I don't want to sound like a jerk :p Also if it isn't then it looks kick ***.

Upvote 0