Dear Esther

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SiC-Disaster

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
Looks awesome. I like the world design a lot, atmosphere seems great, and the story telling seems very promising.
I like the bit he says in the trailer.

Dear Esther - Official Trailer - YouTube

Website here:
http://dear-esther.com/

Definitely looks like this game outclasses every other Source-based game in terms of graphics which doesnt hurt considering that afaik there isnt any combat, it's 'just' exploration with the guy talking to you about stuff in a letter.
But this is probably one of the best examples that games can be art.

Reactions: NoxNoctum

Amerikaner

Nov 23, 2005
Wow those graphics are amazing, especially considering it's on Source. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys get picked up by Valve. I'm also happy to see a game looking genuinely mature.

LightsabeR

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 22, 2010
I'm having a hard time finding something to complain about after watching that.

So, basically, this:

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

Nenjin

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Sub-Level 12
So this is a vaguely MYST-style game right? I've never been one for those kinds of titles, but this definitely got my interest. Less so because of the visuals and more because of, well, the vibe. A game trailer than rambles on in semi-sane prose, instead of blasting you with visuals and drama? I'm intrigued.

SiC-Disaster

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
I've been trying to understand what exactly is said in the trailer, I had to listen quite a few times to fully understand every sentence.
I hope I got everything right :p

"I've begun my voyage in a paper boat without a bottom. And I'll fly to the moon in it.
I've been folded along crescent time, a weakness and the sheet of life.
Now you've settled on the other side of the paper to me.
I can see our traces in the ink that soaks through the fiber, the pulped vegetation.
When we become waterlogged and the cage disintegrates, we will intermingle.
And this paper aeroplane leaves the cliff edge, and casts parallel vapourtrails in the dark. We will come together."

Discuss what you think he means exactly :)

Shadrach

Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2006
Elitist Prick Ski Lodge
stian.freeshell.org
"I've begun my voyage in a paper boat without a bottom. And I'll fly to the moon in it.
I can see our traces in the ink that soaks through the fiber, the pulped vegetation.
And this paper aeroplane leaves the cliff edge, and casts parallel vapourtrails in the dark. We will come together."

I just hope we're not solving puzzles based on that :D

I don't think you are meant to really "understand" it - it's poetry and speaks for itself basically.

The voice of the narrator reminds me of Paul Morley reading "Lost for Words pt1" off a Trentem

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
wanted to prepurchase it on steam, but I cannot yet it seems :(.

These sort of trailers will cause me to buy games, not someone run and gunning.

Last edited:

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Prolly not worth 10 bucks then. The mod was only 20 minutes long. :(

They probably worked from what they have and continued and improved it. So its probably a fair bit longer.

Perhaps compare it to the ball, the UE3 mod was pretty short, while the UDK release got about 6 hours to it.

Olivier

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
They probably worked from what they have and continued and improved it. So its probably a fair bit longer.

Perhaps compare it to the ball, the UE3 mod was pretty short, while the UDK release got about 6 hours to it.

Hopefully you're right Zets, but by looking at the Trailer, I can identify pretty much every part of the island :/

Nonetheless, the game looks gorgeous ;)

Floyd

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 19, 2006
Waterproof
www.ro50pc.net
I've been trying to understand what exactly is said in the trailer, I had to listen quite a few times to fully understand every sentence.
I hope I got everything right :p

Actually, I thought he said "I've been folded along a crease in time, a weakness in the sheet of life."

Makes much more sense, if you think about it. Crease in (as crease in a piece of paper) and a weakness in this sheet (as in paper) of life. She's settled on the other side of the paper....

The whole thing makes sense from there.

Parallel universe type of thing?....

Every play-through a unique experience, with randomly generated audio, visuals and events.

Yeah, for $10 US.......I'll give it a go.

Last edited: