• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dear Esther

SiC-Disaster

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
Looks awesome. I like the world design a lot, atmosphere seems great, and the story telling seems very promising.
I like the bit he says in the trailer.

Dear Esther - Official Trailer - YouTube

Website here:
http://dear-esther.com/

Definitely looks like this game outclasses every other Source-based game in terms of graphics which doesnt hurt considering that afaik there isnt any combat, it's 'just' exploration with the guy talking to you about stuff in a letter.
But this is probably one of the best examples that games can be art.

Reactions: NoxNoctum
I'm having a hard time finding something to complain about after watching that.

So, basically, this:

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

Upvote 0
I've been trying to understand what exactly is said in the trailer, I had to listen quite a few times to fully understand every sentence.
I hope I got everything right :p

"I've begun my voyage in a paper boat without a bottom. And I'll fly to the moon in it.
I've been folded along crescent time, a weakness and the sheet of life.
Now you've settled on the other side of the paper to me.
I can see our traces in the ink that soaks through the fiber, the pulped vegetation.
When we become waterlogged and the cage disintegrates, we will intermingle.
And this paper aeroplane leaves the cliff edge, and casts parallel vapourtrails in the dark. We will come together."

Discuss what you think he means exactly :)

Upvote 0
"I've begun my voyage in a paper boat without a bottom. And I'll fly to the moon in it.
I can see our traces in the ink that soaks through the fiber, the pulped vegetation.
And this paper aeroplane leaves the cliff edge, and casts parallel vapourtrails in the dark. We will come together."

I just hope we're not solving puzzles based on that :D

I don't think you are meant to really "understand" it - it's poetry and speaks for itself basically.

The voice of the narrator reminds me of Paul Morley reading "Lost for Words pt1" off a Trentem

Upvote 0
They probably worked from what they have and continued and improved it. So its probably a fair bit longer.

Perhaps compare it to the ball, the UE3 mod was pretty short, while the UDK release got about 6 hours to it.

Hopefully you're right Zets, but by looking at the Trailer, I can identify pretty much every part of the island :/

Nonetheless, the game looks gorgeous ;)

Upvote 0
I've been trying to understand what exactly is said in the trailer, I had to listen quite a few times to fully understand every sentence.
I hope I got everything right :p

Actually, I thought he said "I've been folded along a crease in time, a weakness in the sheet of life."

Makes much more sense, if you think about it. Crease in (as crease in a piece of paper) and a weakness in this sheet (as in paper) of life. She's settled on the other side of the paper....

The whole thing makes sense from there.

Parallel universe type of thing?....

Every play-through a unique experience, with randomly generated audio, visuals and events.

Yeah, for $10 US.......I'll give it a go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0