• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Big servers are a BIG mistake

I've been trying these 40-50 people servers since the update & i'm afraid imho they don't work.
A lot of RO maps aren't big anough to handle the number of players & it really spoils the game play. It's gone from intense, tactical , team based game to a free for all runaround similar to BF2
Not only that i NEVER had lag on ANY RO servers before these large player servers came on line. Now i see lag all the time. It's spoiling the game i feel. It was fine before & i see no reason to increase the players UNLESS you have a dedicated big map server but even then the lag may still be there.
FINALLY TW have made a mistake. Mind you, one mistake in all this time is something to smile about.
Still, keep up the good work guys.
Rob

I completely disagree.

I have pre-ordered the game before release.
I have enjoyed the game from day 1
I have seen the game go a long way.

Now I think it is at its best.

32 player servers run as well if not better to my experience.

40 to 50 player servers are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING to my taste.

Yes I do die more, I taste massive grenade casulties... but hey... thats pretty damn accurate... It was a mad bloody war and a 50 player server sure represents it.

I do see how some people may not like the 44 to 50 player servers, I do enjoy 24 player servers because there is more teamwork, more time to breath... and sometimes I feel like jumping into a mad war...

As for FPS Drop... I have 2 pc's and they are average computers.
An AthlonXP3000 1 gig ram
a 939pin X2 3800 with 1 gig ram...

They both run the game perfectly.

I do understand that a few people might not like 44 to 50 players... but I do not see how it can be called a mistake...
And please, lets not compare it to bf2... :'(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm on board with 50 players being somewhat of a gimmick at this point. The maps simply arent designed for it. Only a couple work with that many people - literally a couple.

I too have experienced network/resource issues with the big servers - for example, walking in a straight line down the middle street on the second half of Odessa, never once pressing left or right - just walking straight.. then *BAM* I'm on the opposite side of the street facing a different direction and everybody in the server goes 'whoa! did anybody else just get a lag spike?' ..it's happened many times, and I'm not accepting that collectively we all have sh!te computers (i know i dont).

Unless my team is on a 50 man server, I wont be. If some maps are released that can make it fun to be there, then maybe. No offence, I know you guys put a lot of work into it, but it's just not all that.

Upvote 0
Jokerman said:
I disagree. All of the tank maps (including combined arms) and 90% of the custom maps have benefieted. Look at Leningrad, Berezina, parisierplatz and zhitomir(s) for example, Leningrad in particualr- from a ghost town into classic.

That's exactly how I feel as well. Some of the smaller maps may be turning into more of a "free for all", but almost all of the larger ones now have a better atmosphere to them when you can actually find people now. Tank maps as well have also become a lot better because of this, since it actually encourages less solo tanking and more teamwork.

And they did say there would be an increased amount of lag due to this, it's not as if you are the only one getting it. In my opinion, a small amount of extra lag is a fine price to pay in return for the benefits of more people playing per map.

Upvote 0
I too have experienced network/resource issues with the big servers - for example, walking in a straight line down the middle street on the second half of Odessa, never once pressing left or right - just walking straight.. then *BAM* I'm on the opposite side of the street facing a different direction and everybody in the server goes 'whoa! did anybody else just get a lag spike?' ..it's happened many times, and I'm not accepting that collectively we all have sh!te computers (i know i dont).

I have to admit this is true.

I have seen it happen to me Once so far.
I would guess it is the server being pushed to its limits.

Upvote 0
Any improvement to servers was welcome. I imagine when this 50 player thing kicked off, part of the problem with performance may have been due to players coming from far and wide- and bringing thier high pings with them. I haven't played them recently thou.

I've heard people say that when you get 50-odd tanks running around it's going to be a big hit on performance whatever the map, which is a shame cos on paper all out tank maps is where you would think it would benefit most.
However it greatly improved Rako and added a lot to konigs, watev - in fact med/large sized CA seems to be where it works best IMO.
i can't say the experience blew my mind, phaps cos i sat though so many maps where it didn't work.

Upvote 0
.... FINALLY TW have made a mistake. Mind you, one mistake in all this time is something to smile about.
Rob

you hardly know what you are talking about ... increased number of players can be hardly called as a mistake. It is an OPTION! We have a server that is not able to handle more than 26 players w/o lagz... is that mistake of TWI?

Upvote 0
Some of the maps get a little silly with 50 that are great with 32. Kaukuses is one for sure. 25 defenders makes it just silly.
Many of the maps are not a little better they are way way better. Leningrad, the new winter map with the ridge and the bridge, havent won it yet as russians but its a great challenge to do well at and plays great with a hoard on each side.
That big map with the Basement and the appartment blocks, that map rocks on a full 50 player server.

So it is fair to say that some maps should be removed from the rotation on 50 player servers as they really dont play well, many of the maps play great and I have no permformance issues that I never had before.

Upvote 0
I've been trying these 40-50 people servers since the update & i'm afraid imho they don't work.
A lot of RO maps aren't big anough to handle the number of players & it really spoils the game play. It's gone from intense, tactical , team based game to a free for all runaround similar to BF2
Not only that i NEVER had lag on ANY RO servers before these large player servers came on line. Now i see lag all the time. It's spoiling the game i feel. It was fine before & i see no reason to increase the players UNLESS you have a dedicated big map server but even then the lag may still be there.
FINALLY TW have made a mistake. Mind you, one mistake in all this time is something to smile about.
Rob

Part of my post from a similar comment in another thread

"I believe that the step to 50 player has re-invigorated the game and the community.
It has attracted a huge amount of new players via the Guest pass system.
Which in the end can only be a good thing not only the future of the game but also for Tripwires abillity to deliver another title.
These servers are just another choice for players to have when playing the game and nothing more than that... "

This is only my opinion and I am sure many others have lot's of different ones.

But the fundemental truth is TWI have increased the player numbers and it's not very likely they will undo this.
Whether you or I agree with this increase is now a moot point.

The new increases are here too stay and many mappers are beginning to rework custom maps and I would think that TWI themselves will continue to tweak the gameplay and their own maps to get the best from each with regards to larger player numbers.

The last update is just the first phase as far as I am concerned I just can't see a company like TWI leaving it at that..

They will improve upon what we now have:D

Upvote 0
Lag is much worse than before, have to agree on that .

And the tactical nous used is definitely less effective than before on the smaller maps.

Brave new world tho with 50 player servers, who knows......in years to come huge maps will probaly hold much more than 50.

Imagine maps that go on for miles able to accomodate huge player numbers and rounds that go on for a couple of hours at a time with scouting and recon etc.

So maybe teething problems are a small price to pay for progress through development.

Upvote 0
The only problems I have now are the tks, intensional and unintensional. I know the more players that more chances of this happening but team coordination is not where it was at with the 32 players. There is no doubt about that. It could also be these type of players that are drawn to the bigger servers. No doubt that TWI had to do something about this which is the reason for the small update we got a little while ago, ending some of the tk exploits. This, I'm sure, will change in time. I have to agree with the "free for all" gameplay sometimes. But hey, some people like that so each to his own.

Upvote 0
.... Leningrad, the new winter map with the ridge and the bridge, havent won it yet as russians but its a great challenge to do well at and plays great with a hoard on each side.
That big map with the Base....

we won as Alies on this map in 3clans.vs.3clans match :p if you have enough coordinated defenders than it is hell for Axis.

Upvote 0
I've played on a few of the super-sized servers and, for me, I can take it or leave it. Being a die-hard tanker, Arad is particularly painful (more than usual!) as there are inevitably dozens of players lolligagging around the motor pool waiting for their special individual tank to re-spawn- with no thought, of course, towards Team Tanking! (Yes, I know- if you get hit the enemy gets more points...BUT just think of all the damage a well-crewed tank can do on the move! Try it some time and see if it's not effective!)

The Orel series, I think, benefits from more players due to its inherent size and the additional tactical movements you can effect with the extra crews. Even with 2-man tanks you can still field an impressive infantry force to hold your cap zones while more tanks reinforce the initial assault- and Orel cap zones need all hand on deck, as we all know.

I don't think 50-man servers are the Apocalypse incarnate, but server admins really should tailor their map rotation to account for some maps just not being 'right' for that many troops.

Upvote 0
I've played on a few of the super-sized servers and, for me, I can take it or leave it. Being a die-hard tanker, Arad is particularly painful (more than usual!) as there are inevitably dozens of players lolligagging around the motor pool waiting for their special individual tank to re-spawn- with no thought, of course, towards Team Tanking! (Yes, I know- if you get hit the enemy gets more points...BUT just think of all the damage a well-crewed tank can do on the move! Try it some time and see if it's not effective!)

The Orel series, I think, benefits from more players due to its inherent size and the additional tactical movements you can effect with the extra crews. Even with 2-man tanks you can still field an impressive infantry force to hold your cap zones while more tanks reinforce the initial assault- and Orel cap zones need all hand on deck, as we all know.

I don't think 50-man servers are the Apocalypse incarnate, but server admins really should tailor their map rotation to account for some maps just not being 'right' for that many troops.

I had to read, then re-read your reply.. it truly makes the most sense. I applaud you.

All the shallow negativity about the 50 player servers is a joke!! Most of us came from a platform where 64 player servers were normal. Its become something more or less to simply harp on. The fact is, until the server has MORE than 32 players, nothing is changed.

Your post, if read carefully, speaks volume's about solid gameplay and team planning.

Bravo and thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0