• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Big servers are a BIG mistake

Elwood don't troll pls, I'm not whining i'm just looking for some answers that aren't just interesting to only me. Just look at how many 50 player servers there are..and all the ones that stay beneath the 44 threshold were the increases come in. Yeah not all are because of the increases but because of lag, but I doubt theres only the TWI servers that could handle 50 players. Just look at all the threads too on this - not everyone who doesn't like increased limits is whining

Sas, ta for that. I haven't had a look at all the maps, just know about the 4 mentioned by Wokelly as examples. If its not like that on most maps then fine..was just wondering about the numbers being questioned originally and everyone being told that the ratios had stayed the same

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even if I was be able to run the server, it's too late beacuse too many people already left RO beacuse of that, so nobody would join. In the morning before update I've seen much more full servers then now.

If it's too late, then what do you possibly hope to accomplish by complaining? Clearly it's too late. The damage is done. Now what?

Upvote 0
Yep but when was the last time you saw a map like Stalingrad Kessel with SMG slots free :D . Still means there will be fewer bolts per team because people will want to take the easiest slots rather than something challenging like a bolt. Thats why there are class limits in the first place - RO never used to be about everyone having a smg if they wanted one, running around hipping like its deathmatch. Why not have unlimited SMG's in that case? People could still be riflemen if they wanted :p . Anyway the main point I was trying to make was that the increased limits were denied originally, but that doesn't seem to true now IMO and I haven't seen a comment about it from Ramm or Sas since. They aren't slight increases too in some cases - look at those first couple of screenshots - looks like a bit of overkill for "balancing" 1 extra mg..still only 1 sniper..and I still don't get how smg's and semi's balance snipers/mg's at all.

Cheers

As I've said before, I think the main issue is not so much the number of players, nor even the number of available SMGs, but rather the combination of those factors on a map-by-map basis.

Stalingrad Kessel is an excellent example. As you've said, why WOULDN'T people take SMGs and hipshoot? The engagement ranges in most places on that map are close enough that you're smart to do so.

On the other hand, try doing the same thing on Berezina or any map of that scale. Most of the time, you'll be picked off quickly.

Some maps are close quarters battles and are more suited towards close quarters weapons. Other maps are longer range battles suited to longer range weapons.

While I agree with the notion that, if we're gonna have class limits, let's have limits that make sense, I still think that what you're seeing is simply people choosing the best tool for the job, under the circumstances.

I'd be curious to see how these close quarters maps played with rifles only (or at least severely reduced SMGs), although I still think it would feel "spammy" and "deathmatchy" simply because of the increased number of bodies on an already relatively small map. Granted, my eardrums would be in better shape not having to listen to PPSh/PPD spam all map long, but aside from that, I think the maps would still be plenty frustrating in terms of the run, shoot, die aspects.

I think some maps just aren't made for 50 players. Plain and simple. Doesn't matter what the class mix is, it'll just be too damn crowded. You may make it MORE tolerable, but it'll be crowded nonetheless and if folks aren't complaining about SMGs and semis, they'll be complaining about nade spam.

Upvote 0
I agree, there are some maps that just dont work for 50 players, regardless of what adjustments are made to weapon limits.

Then again there are some that are greatly improved by the additional players.

If any body has got some stats comparing the percentage of times a side wins any particluar map on a 32 player server compared to a 50 player server I would be interested to see them.

It might also be usefull for server operators to select which maps to put on their server.

Upvote 0
This is how drastic changes start though imo - little changes that in the end mount up to something very different to the original game. It happened with CS, the battlefield series, DOD..I just really don't want it to happen to my favorite game.

Next the limits might be lifted again for RO2 because its just a "small" change from what was already considered the norm.

The fact that it was denied originally makes me think the worst.

Solo4114, I don't like the increases in bolt to everything else ratio because of the above and the reasoning makes me think that they would increase the limits even further "because people would enjoy it more". Then we will be left with just another cookie-cutter deathmatch frag-em-up game imo. I can enjoy COD, CS, DOD but I like RO also because it IS unique and not easy compared to them..if everyone could choose a smg or semi if they wanted then it would be so much easier, I might as well play one of the other generic multiplayer FPS's..RO would lose its edge for me.

Upvote 0
This is how drastic changes start though imo - little changes that in the end mount up to something very different to the original game. It happened with CS, the battlefield series, DOD..I just really don't want it to happen to my favorite game.

Next the limits might be lifted again for RO2 because its just a "small" change from what was already considered the norm.

The fact that it was denied originally makes me think the worst.

Solo4114, I don't like the increases in bolt to everything else ratio because of the above and the reasoning makes me think that they would increase the limits even further "because people would enjoy it more". Then we will be left with just another cookie-cutter deathmatch frag-em-up game imo. I can enjoy COD, CS, DOD but I like RO also because it IS unique and not easy compared to them..if everyone could choose a smg or semi if they wanted then it would be so much easier, I might as well play one of the other generic multiplayer FPS's..RO would lose its edge for me.
This is what your quest for 'truth' has brought you? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Ha, I express my opinion about self centered whiners, I do not mention any names and i get a response from someone saying " I'm not whining". If so why would you think I meant you. Maybe because you yourself think deep down inside that you are guilty of just that.

Also like has been said over and over again...32(and less) player servers are still readily available for play. I spent several hours yesterday finding, joining, and playing on said servers. I prefer 50 player servers but the only one that is good enough for me most of the time is TWB west. So for 50 I have 1 to 3 maybe I can play on. But I can find at least 8 or more 32 or less servers most of the time. IMO I can completely reverse the argument and say that there are not enough 50s.

Also why can you express your opinion, but when I do I am "trolling"

It is all about choice and options. TWI gives us options, we make the choices.

Upvote 0
Ha, I express my opinion about self centered whiners, I do not mention any names and i get a response from someone saying " I'm not whining". If so why would you think I meant you. Maybe because you yourself think deep down inside that you are guilty of just that.

Also like has been said over and over again...32(and less) player servers are still readily available for play. I spent several hours yesterday finding, joining, and playing on said servers. I prefer 50 player servers but the only one that is good enough for me most of the time is TWB west. So for 50 I have 1 to 3 maybe I can play on. But I can find at least 8 or more 32 or less servers most of the time. IMO I can completely reverse the argument and say that there are not enough 50s.

Also why can you express your opinion, but when I do I am "trolling"

It is all about choice and options. TWI gives us options, we make the choices.

I can't be arsed having arguments on internet forums, honestly..but posting right after my opinions and shouting WHINERS in caps makes it pretty obvious who you were commenting on. The whole point of forums is to express opinions, so whats wrong with me posting things that don't correlate with your own personal opinions? All I was looking for was some answers on things that didn't add up given the responses we had so far from devs. I suggested you were trolling because you only posted to say how "whiners interfere with my enjoyment of the game"..I mean how is that adding to the thread?

I KNOW there are 32 and 50 player servers..I KNOW there are differences and I can choose which to play on..please read my posts on that page..most of it was about how the devs had denied there were differences until just now..I was looking for some answers and it seems to be finished with for now

Upvote 0
Solo4114, I don't like the increases in bolt to everything else ratio because of the above and the reasoning makes me think that they would increase the limits even further "because people would enjoy it more".

I believe in the case of E.G. StalingradKessel is the fact it is urban area map. Not woodland or countryside area.

So yes, sure we have many players complaining the amount of SMGs being increased. Usually some bolters. But in open area maps you often end up people complaining that why their SMG is inaccurate or useless. Bolters are happy, SMG guys are not. In very thick urban maps like StalingradKessel, it is vice versa. The whole problem is a paradox; accuse or be accused. Sure people can use historical facts to support their own facts, but usually they are pretty much useless since in that context we are lacking way too many more or less stupid crap to actually have proper "simulation".

..I mean how is that adding to the thread?

How come we can add anything constructive to a thread that is already based on the fact that customer X is pissed by feature Y while customer Z loves feature Y and when everyone tries to reason someone else it ends up that "I am right, you are not" and vice versa. Questions may need answers, but answers are often riddles speaking more riddles in a discussion like this.

Yes, sure it is annoying to have people complaining increased amount of SMGs. And yes, it may be annoying to have entire server full of PPShers "owning" everyone else. But any suggestions for solutions? Reduce classes to the "original" amount? Have only one or two SMGs per side? Biggest problem: we have people complaining, yet not talking about anything really constructive how to fix the idea. And those who have courage to do so are instantly burnt in the flames of accuse and complaiment.

Even if we fix teh unholy of SMGzerz I can imagine what is brought up then : nadespam. Even if we eliminate SMG issue, it doesn't take long before we see "Big servers suck too mcuh nadespamming." or something like that.

Big servers suck due the fact most of the maps are not exactly designed for that. Then guest passes suck due too many noobs around. Then nadespamming sucks since it is unrealistic. Then someone says SMGs suck they lack accuracy.

Yes, I agree that the amounts of classes at large servers are not exactly logical, but so far I have not complained nor cut my wrists. I am I, you are you, but generally speaking games do have mistakes. Considering overall quality of RO, I can cope the fact devs did screw up bit with the classes in some maps. I still have not noticed the game turning into exact CS-boom-headshot fest. Sure you see SMGs bit more around, and sometimes it is quite unlogical, And that we have larger servers in the first place -> more players (=idiots, noobs, whatever you prefer to call them) in the server. If SMG amounts would be back in the old values, we would have exact same discussion... with the expection of grenades. Yes, nade spam sucks, but RO does have gamey issues. Sure you could remove nades from everyone else 'cept bolter, but then you have too much dissent in community, turning their heads in direction or another and revolting that what is right or what is not. Some people cope with it...

... while someone did cut their wrists. And here we are. Blame the society? Blame big servers? Blame TWI for making a bad product? TWI screwing up?

Yes, I know that nadespam sucks. I know that SMG-fest sucks. Yet RO is trying to simulate something called war, where bad thing happens. Sure for gameplay reasons, it is beter to have a balance. But everything should be so "realistic" same time yet they should be so "balanced" all the time. Do I smell a conflict?

This does not make any sense at all anymore. What the **** is going on people?

Upvote 0