• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Best Commando loadout?

Personally i prefer AK/SCAR myself.

The SCAR has the scope, so there's no need for me to have 2 scoped guns.

The AK also packs a nice punch with the (technically) 7.92x39mm round.
It's technically 7.92mm (0.312") because of the different measurements in use.

That and the AK take less shots to kill with, and the best all-round gun for Commando.

The SCAR makes a nice panic/backup gun, with a high RPM to mow down anything in the way, as well as a nice 2-3 MOA AimPoint red dot that provides reasonable accuracy. The SCAR is best on semi-auto.

Upvote 0
One thing to keep in mind:

According to the wiki (Yes, I know, but bear with me), the SCAR does slightly more damage per round, but has a smaller magazine than the AK-47. Easy to confirm. What this means is that if you need to unload on something at close range, the AK is probably the better choice. Thirty slightly smaller rounds still adds up to more than twenty bigger ones.

As you can tell, I'm an advocate of the SCAR/AK combo, but only because the Bullpup doesn't have the punch at close range that the AK does. If I get surrounded because I was inattentive, or (worse, and much more common on pubic servers) because a teammate was, I need to punch a hole and get out right away.

If I know that isn't going to be a problem though, I go for the Bullpup, since as a long-range decapitator, it can't be beat. Admittedly, I lack experience on Suicidal/HoE, so if that is no longer true on those difficulties, then nevermind.

Upvote 0
One thing to keep in mind:

According to the wiki (Yes, I know, but bear with me), the SCAR does slightly more damage per round, but has a smaller magazine than the AK-47. Easy to confirm. What this means is that if you need to unload on something at close range, the AK is probably the better choice. Thirty slightly smaller rounds still adds up to more than twenty bigger ones.

As you can tell, I'm an advocate of the SCAR/AK combo, but only because the Bullpup doesn't have the punch at close range that the AK does. If I get surrounded because I was inattentive, or (worse, and much more common on pubic servers) because a teammate was, I need to punch a hole and get out right away.

If I know that isn't going to be a problem though, I go for the Bullpup, since as a long-range decapitator, it can't be beat. Admittedly, I lack experience on Suicidal/HoE, so if that is no longer true on those difficulties, then nevermind.

The scar has way more damage per round at perk 6 than the AK.

For one, you can one-shot crawlers with the SCAR, and you can really see the difference when trying to kill a raging scrake. Empty a clip from an AK in its face on suicidal and see how far that gets you.

Upvote 0
Ah. Well there you go. This is what happens when I try to use the wiki. The damage difference looks small, and I'm not a high enough level Commando to have noticed. Luckily, I wasn't referring to Scrakes, so my strategy is still solid, even if the logic behind it was flawed. Next time, I'll go to the source files for my numbers.

Then again, maybe I had noticed, subconsciously. I never use the AK47 if a Scrake is raging at me.

Upvote 0
Recently I've been experimenting and have found the Scar and Crossbow combo is pretty effective on some levels. Means I can one shot husks and sirens at range easily. Also I can stun and drop scrakes without issue - just stunning them at a safe distance helps the whole team take them down easy. FPs are still problematic however.

Upvote 0
Recently I've been experimenting and have found the Scar and Crossbow combo is pretty effective on some levels. Means I can one shot husks and sirens at range easily. Also I can stun and drop scrakes without issue - just stunning them at a safe distance helps the whole team take them down easy. FPs are still problematic however.

Last time I checked off-perk xbow cannot stun scrakes...?

Also... after the nerf of SCAR it nearly have nothing to beat ak... 12 more bullets for 12 heads (your job is small zeds) so with ak you get 12 more kills.

I personally prefer ak more than SCAR. Both gun dont do a damn thing to bigs. And more bullets have HUGE advantage whn facing endless swarm of small zeds.

And bullup is out of the way, because you need two hs for one kill. Meaning only 25 kill on one clip even you dont miss when double tapping.

Upvote 0
Bullup+Scar+Medic Gun best set up to suicidal.
Ak+Scar+Medic Gun for HOE.

On suicidal you can decap using Bullup 1hit.
And the Medic Gun is really usefull, most of times you can heal your team almost as a Medic could, depends on the map, but hardly more than 2 people are hurt badly and almost the same time, that you would need the Faster Healing

Upvote 0

Scar+bow is like 100 times better for Sharp than it is for commando.

Upvote 0
Depending on the needs of my team I'd go with either:

1. AK+Scar+Kat/Medgun
2. Scar+M32

#1 Crowd Control
#2 Can solo a FP in a 6p HoE game.

I've been using a SCAR and AK almost exclusively on solo games, to get the most out of the perk. That combination worked well for everything up to a Fleshpound. For them, I used pipebombs and grenades, using the AK and SCAR to finish him off. Though, I haven't used using the M32 yet. Should give it a try.

Upvote 0
I use the SCAR for a little bit of semi-auto sniping and I flip it to full-auto whenever we have charging scrakes, fleshies or Sirens and Husks in those more dire moments.

I use the Bullpup for everything else, though. Do not ever underestimate how good the Bullpup is especially in the hands of a level 6 commando that knows what he's doing.

Upvote 0
I never, or at least almost never, switch automatic weapons to semi-auto. When I want single shots, I just tap the mouse button. The reason being that I feel I don't want one more thing to worry about when things get heavy (there's no visual cue to tell if the gun is semi or full auto, so you just have to remember). When I need burst, I hold down longer, and when I need to hose down a mob, I just hold the button until they die. Just that switching back and forth sounds like it could lead to trouble if you forget (though, if anyone has a good enough memory that they don't need to worry, then good on you).

Reactions: Starsky
Upvote 0
this is it - demo's dont get any reload bonus at all.
Seeing as this is the laucher's achilles heel, it's possibly the best off-perk weapon combo in the game.
I totally agree. I've just stared to recently use the M32 with a SCAR, and am finding it much more helpful. They seem to compliment each other well too. The SCAR can headshot from the hip up close, and I can spray when needed (like when a couple clots and gorefasts are surrounding me, or finishing off a charging scrake), as well as be used for semi-sniping at longer ranges. The M32 is very effective at medium ranges, and works well at killing groups. It also can bring down a fleshpound pretty quickly. I'm finding that I prefer to pass on the pipe bombs until the final round, or maybe penultimate. Having three weapons in the same slot is a bit a nightmare when trying to get the right one. I've accidentally selected pipe bombs when I wanted a SCAR, or SCAR when I wanted the M32. Having just two of them means I can hit the "4" key to switch between them with more speed and less confusion.

The additional reload speed also is a big help with the M32, maybe more than with any other weapon.

Upvote 0
AK/SCAR/MP7. I dislike pipe bombs, the machete seems redundant when I have 3 weapons suitable for self defence against small mobs - ditto for the katana. Seems like getting extra healing capabilities is the only way to go.

Never tried the M32 as a commando, but that's usually because I try to stick to perk weapons. Plus it's either too expensive, or requires paying a demo quite a bit of cash.

Upvote 0
AK/SCAR/MP7. I dislike pipe bombs, the machete seems redundant when I have 3 weapons suitable for self defence against small mobs - ditto for the katana. Seems like getting extra healing capabilities is the only way to go.

Never tried the M32 as a commando, but that's usually because I try to stick to perk weapons. Plus it's either too expensive, or requires paying a demo quite a bit of cash.

Playing on solo, I just switch to a demoman for a wave, use the discount to save some cash, and then switch back next wave. It helps when you don't have friends willing to let you use their discounts too.

Upvote 0
I start as L6 Sharpie, and by Wave 3 I can switch to L4 Demo and sell my Crossbow for $600 + use my cash to buy an M32 plus armor . This means by Wave 4 I can switch perks again to Commando and pick up a SCAR. (MMV depending on your Commando rank. It's less than $800 at L6 Commando though.)

If there's no sharpshooter in the party though, I'll go back to Sharpie and equip a Lever Action for Scrake killing. It's actually become my preferred loadout.

EDIT: This is all on Normal, btw. I'm waiting to get Demo to L6 before tackling the harder difficulties.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, I prefer Bullpup + SCAR, but I can see the merits of AK + SCAR.
Sometimes I'll end up having a Katana, too.

The Bullpup can fire fairly accurately in even continuous full auto, [I love bouncing that red dot on a mid-level zed's head] does well at sustained fire, [big mag, quick reload] and is wondrously efficient for trash zed headshots. The SCAR is great for DPS dumping or semi auto accuracy. To me, the AK just seems like an awkward compromise that doesn't really excel in any task. The DPS is nice in the middle waves, but the accuracy never feels right to me, especially with the iron sights, so I prefer the other two. Maybe it has no merit beyond personal preference, but that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0