• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon balance

MattyDienhoff

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2006
Australia
As we all know the SMGs in RO all had their recoil exaggerated for balancing purposes, and the end result is it's very difficult to use an SMG at medium range because they're so difficult to keep on target (unless you go prone and brace them against something), not all that realistic, but it strongly encourages players to use SMGs only in close quarters.

Now, in the gameplay demonstration the PPSH-41 is seen used, and it clearly has much softer recoil than in the first game. This, in itself, is more realistic, but if wild recoil is longer part of the equation, what will take its place to ensure SMGs aren't overpowered medium-range handheld suppression devices?

Besides that, I'm interested to know if any of the other weapons' balancing will be significantly changed. For example, how will the STG-44 compare to the SMGs? The STG-44 is a pretty troublesome weapon for balance because it literally has no equal on the Russian side. Most solve this by just making it act like just another SMG, or by making it behave like a LMG, heavy and unwieldy, when it's really neither of those. Ostfront is one of the few games that really makes the STG-44 behave like it should. A steady performer up close, but powerful and accurate enough at a distance. I hope the devs don't sacrifice this kind of realism to the balance gods in HoS.

As we all know the SMGs in RO all had their recoil exaggerated for balancing purposes, and the end result is it's very difficult to use an SMG at medium range because they're so difficult to keep on target (unless you go prone and brace them against something), not all that realistic, but it strongly encourages players to use SMGs only in close quarters.

Now, in the gameplay demonstration the PPSH-41 is seen used, and it clearly has much softer recoil than in the first game. This, in itself, is more realistic, but if wild recoil is longer part of the equation, what will take its place to ensure SMGs aren't overpowered medium-range handheld suppression devices?

Besides that, I'm interested to know if any of the other weapons' balancing will be significantly changed. For example, how will the STG-44 compare to the SMGs? The STG-44 is a pretty troublesome weapon for balance because it literally has no equal on the Russian side. Most solve this by just making it act like just another SMG, or by making it behave like a LMG, heavy and unwieldy, when it's really neither of those. Ostfront is one of the few games that really makes the STG-44 behave like it should. A steady performer up close, but powerful and accurate enough at a distance. I hope the devs don't sacrifice this kind of realism to the balance gods in HoS.

HoS takes place between 1941 and 1943. Very early 1943. There will be no STG-44s.

Upvote 0
I think weapon handling should be modelled as realistically as possible. Balancing should be done between teams, not individual players...if at all. If an SMGer can get many more kills than a rifleman, well, so be it.
Agreed. Of course, it depends strongly on the layout of the map. The way weapons are rationed on each map also affects balance, which is an interesting angle on the issue that isn't taken into account in many games.

Also, while certain weapons might be 'unbalanced' in that they're far superior to their opposing equivalent, that doesn't necessarily make the sides unbalanced as such. For example, the Soviets might have more submachine guns, but the Germans' machine guns are far superior to the DP28.

Anyway, we know all that already, what I'm interested in is how different things will be in HoS, starting with the SMGs.

Upvote 0
Well, rifles will be able to dial in their sights for a more accurate shot at longer ranges, dropping them a bit easier than they had previously. However, I imagine the SMG round over long distances will either dissipate energy resulting in less fatal wounding, or will be modelled to have a more radical tumble/drop. Penetrative power may also come into the equation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the more we get realistic ranges and not completely filled to the brim streets with sandbags and destroyed objects rifles will find their place.

Its one of the advantages of zoom when in ironsight + breathing mode.

So if the ranges are extended generally for fighting x2 then the real inaccuracies of the weapons will come in play. Not for crossing an open field but if many people use the first person cover system behind a rock or whatever, you will need to hit a pinpoint target. Thats the expertise of rifleman.

With limited special class weaponry i rather have the balancing done through other means, like spawnlocation etc. And maybe even with a point system. If twi will have a good stats system, they can see how things are effected and change it without touching the weaponry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About balancing, bolt-rifles got absolutly too long reloading time in RO.
It could be done double time faster if you got hurry, like you do in fire fight.

At least soldier who have done that move thousands of times could do it
faster than, soldier in RO does.

This. I always wondered why reloading the bolt action guns reloaded so slow in RO.

They could've cut down the insane recoil for the SMGs if they cut the reload time for the stripper clip fed weapons.

Look on youtube. You can see plenty of videos of people reloading Mosins, K89Ks and SKS rifles very quickly. Just as fast as AKs and what not.

Upvote 0
I'm not really sure what realistic full auto would be in a game as I haven't fired one in real life but I think RO had it pretty right, maybe the PPSH is exagerated I'm not sure, alot of times I prefered the MP40 to it because of this and didn't really have any trouble controling the recoil and killing people with it. As playing a Russian in RO I never felt I was that outgunned just because the Germans had a STG44 and I could pick one up if I felt like that. Besides there won't be any STG44 as they were made after Stalingrad. The MKb 42 might be in but I'm not sure they were made in enough numbers to warrent them being in the game. As for balancing, one thing that really annoyed me about RO was how the bolt actions were alot more accurate then the semi auto rifles, which was very noticable in the G43 scoped. In reality at typical combat ranges a semi auto rifle will be just as accurate as a bolt action will.

Upvote 0