• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] RO-Kriegstadt: Der Untergang Berlins

Ushanka fur caps
In May?? Soldiers say in their memoirs that they had to take off the main "jacket" (or whatever it is called in Eng) and go to assault in shirt, it was hot at the moment..

I'll try to search some photos, if there are some soldiers in fur caps, then my bad. :)

After quick search I managed to find only one picture (not photo) of a soldier near Reichstag in Ushanka, most of other photos show soldiers in pilotka or just helmet..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh no, of course not! Greatcoat infantry have a randomized chance of receiving a helmet, and soldiers wearing the normal M43 tunic will have a randomized chance of getting a pilotka or helmet.

Anyway, time for a screenshot of those new Russian uniforms, no?

Now what we have here are Soviet M43 gimnasterka tunics, which are like the M35 uniforms we have currently in game aside from some very small changes. Firstly, the tunic breast pockets show just the flaps as opposed to a fully distinguished pocket, collar tabs have been eliminated and replaced with a two button collar (which, due to the model, is left unbuttoned), and the uniforms also feature proper shoulderboard insignia with raspberry (for infantry) piping. And yes, the uniforms are darker overall, and are based more on what FPH had done with them in Kolno.

Upvote 0
About the Ushakas in may...I wear mine sometimes to crowded parties with dancing in the hot Iowa summer, but I don't really feel heat anymore.

Any chance you could show those Russian uniforms in part of the map with more light Hobo? I can barely make out anything, cause there just isn't enough contrast in that picture?

Upvote 0
There are some parts of the map that are dark, others that are light, it really is about the placement of the buildings and how they effect the sunlight actors. On the other hand I can play with the dramatic lighting settings. I had another screenshot of those uniforms which was brighter but one cannot view the uniforms themselves all that well (as it is more distant).

Upvote 0
Got a screenshot of the greatcoats for you: before you point it out, yes, there is German gear on there! It's because the greatcoat model itself is the German greatcoat, and the gear is a part of the model. I might try playing around with alpha channels somewhat to see if I can eliminate the excess gear, but that may cause problems when two alphas overlap (causing for you to see through one, trying looking through glass when there is a smoke grenade outside). I don't want these guys to become walking graphical anomalies, so what is there will be there for now.

Classes that use the Greatcoat are the Strelok and Saper, with all others making use of the M43 tunic.

Upvote 0
It appears I can't get rid of the shovel because (get this) a part of the spade's texture is related to the face of the character! Additionally, a small leather strap which extends from the breadbag to the canteen is a part of the face texture. So, I can't get rid of them really, otherwise the player model has little bits of texture floating around them and it looks even less professional than having German gear on there. Sorry :(.

The greatcoats were really just an elaborate hack job, if you will notice they still use German faces because the Russian face textures are incompatible with the German model, and the pilotkas cause Z-fighting on the head of the German model. Oh well.

Upvote 0
Ah, can't wait to play this. I like the dark grainy look to the map. Reminds me a lot of Der Undergang . And of course the custom skins/mg42/anti tank guns are excellent. Keep up the good work Hobo.

BTW, now that I've mentioned Der Undergang, I recall in the movie during the battle scenes you can hear the distinct noise of Katyusha rocket launchers firing in the background. Is there an ambient noise for the Katyusha's available and if so, any chance of using them?

:)

Upvote 0
Drecks made use of Katyusha launcher sounds in Zhitomir Revenge, so I suppose it isn't too far-fetched. I might also be able to yank them from Sniper Elite as well (might be improved quality). One thing I did include from Untergang in regard to the sounds is you can hear the distant wailing of air raid sirens (a la the scene where the Hitlerjugend mans the flak gun, and the civilians are pushing the trolleys to form barricades). Oh how I wanted to have those trolleys for my map. I could be very underhanded about it and take DrGuppy's from Leningrad and reskin them as they are now stock content, but I respect his work and would not use it without permission.

One thing though is, sounds take up a fairly large amount of space, and I don't want to burden people too much with files they need to download or cause admins to go through issues of not getting everything set up properly. I have a separate sound package for the map which contains a new ambient soundtrack, the air raid sirens, and possibly some grainy radio music for the map. With just the ambient sound and the sirens, it is some 9MB, which is a hefty download in its own right. At this point, what I add is dictated by how much I want for players to have to download, and I don't want people waiting forever just to play the map. So if you have certain feature requests you would like to see in the first beta, speak now!

In other news, beta 1 will be coming soon :)

Upvote 0