• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mapping Contest Phase I Results

All maps were judged on several factors including:

Overall Gameplay
Balance
FunFactor
Performance
Bots
Graphics

Judges were from both Tripwire and Destineer and around 16+ poeple out voting forms and then all the scores were tallied to see who the winners were. All maps were tested both with the Tripwire test team, and online with the pubs. Noone's vote counted more or less than the others (i.e. just because I am President, my favorites weren't counted more than anyone elses).

I hope to post up some feedback for the top maps and some honorable mentions in the coming days if we have some time (we're quite busy working on some top secret stuff here at Tripwire HQ).

Upvote 0
If all the mapper are Americans I say RIGGED! they lazy sods don't like shipping. hahhaha

Na congrats to all the winners, all very good maps.

I would love to see the vote tally, and thanks to some the comments other made about all the mappers, something like this gives you a minor dissappointment, until you reliase why you started mapping.

Some advice:

Mappers keep doing your stuff, mosts of you have unique maps that appeal to a certain range of RO users and have certain style and flair. Stay true to yourself produce what your ultimately aiming for.

For me its that real war feeling the gritty, desperate struggle where nothing is in your favour.

Stay true to yourself guys!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm honestly surprised to see Kurland beating Berezina. I suppose "Kurland" is basically Snowy Forrest/Kurland Kessel?

I mean, the Kurland I know is a nice infantry map - winter style flavor, a bit like the old Moscow Highway. It has a few nice visuals like the snow trenches (which I think were new creations).

But Kurland is basically a standard RO map. Linear attacks, no flanking room to speak off, average size, nothing special in the layout or gameplay about it. It is basically Basovka in a winter setting.

Berezina, on the other hand, redefined the idea of "combined arms gameplay". It's the biggest map for infantry right now (not counting Orel or BJD), it features flanking tactics, many custom objects, great visuals and atmosphere. This is not a "spawn, run and die" but rather a "rally troops, take a tactical approach and fight for each objective" map. The simple size of it, and the number of objectives, are amazing.

I'd really like to know what tilted the balance in Kurland's favor. I hope it isn't for the awfully bot/vehicle AI.

Upvote 0
If all the mapper are Americans I say RIGGED! they lazy sods don't like shipping. hahhaha

Don't be silly. 1 mapper is from Japan, one is from Canada, and one is from the US. And we actually didn't even know what country the mappers were from until after the contest was over (we forgot to collect thier addresses as part of the submission process).

Upvote 0
Don't be silly. 1 mapper is from Japan, one is from Canada, and one is from the US. And we actually didn't even know what country the mappers were from until after the contest was over (we forgot to collect thier addresses as part of the submission process).

So the cheque is in the mail, right?

:p

Stupid mailwoman has been sending my mail across the street so if I have an ETA I can know to start looking for the fracking package slip.

I hope you guys didn't UPS them, otherwise odds are its never arriving. (I've had 3 things sent to me via UPS, 2 never arrived and the 3 was shattered into power)

Upvote 0
Yes. Last Friday, Dec 22nd. Very nice package and WAY more sound 'stuff' than I could possibly ever use. I had an Audigy 2Z card and this is certainly a step up but sort of feels like 'overkill'. ;) Thank you to TW for the recognition and the prize. Two copies of the 'Collector's Edition' were also included. I gave one to a guy at work who tried enjoyed the 'free weekends'. I'll keep the other for posterity...it sits right next to the free 'Directors Cut' of 'Pacific Assualt' (Specific-ally Assaulted as I refer to it) which I never ever opened (free from EA from being on their dev/community team).

Upvote 0